Movie Production in Baton Rouge

drew6974

Lol, I could imagine the Los Angeles skyline pasted amongst Baton Rouge's skyline and as the audience saw it at the movies, Baton Rouge people would say, "Man, Katrina really did make Baton Rogue grow!"; while Los Angeles people would say, "Since when does Los Angeles have a big river by it?". :lol:

This is pretty cool...any freeway scenes with the skyline in the background will have to be digitally enhanced :rolleyes: No way is little BR going to pass for Big Los Angeles!

• 4 months later...

Downtown streets closing for movie shoot ..Area around Third, Convention streets closed:

The area around the intersection of Third and Convention streets will be closed from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday for filming of the movie The Ledge. Police will close the section of Third Street, between North and Florida boulevards, and the section of Convention, between Fourth and Lafayette streets. Traffic will be rerouted away from the area and pedestrian traffic will be prohibited, although production assistants will be on hand to help customers get into and out of businesses in the affected areas. The Ledge, a suspense thriller which stars Liv Tyler, Terrence Howard and Charlie Hunnam, is about a man standing on the ledge of a high-rise building who insists he must jump by noon. City officials say one of the scenes will involve actors on a downtown rooftop and building ledge, and some of the actors will be wearing Baton Rouge Police and Fire uniforms. Police and fire vehicles, along with EMS Ambulances, will be used in the filming.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/2010/mar/16/1521/

• 2 weeks later...

So I was playing around on the internet this afternoon, and I dont even know why I read this story, or even watched the movie trailer for "The Expendables." But, I would like for yall to watch the trailer, and tell me what you see at 0:41 lol.... How did this fly under our radar, or did I miss something?dontknow.gif

Link to trailer(in the middle of the page)

WOW!!! :w00t: Great find! It's especially neat how they did a fly over of the city. I'ma have to go watch that to see how our city figures into it.

So I was playing around on the internet this afternoon, and I dont even know why I read this story, or even watched the movie trailer for "The Expendables." But, I would like for yall to watch the trailer, and tell me what you see at 0:41 lol.... How did this fly under our radar, or did I miss something?dontknow.gif

Wow.

Great find. I was kinda surprised when I saw it.

Maybe it was all studio shot except for a few arials? IDK. Pretty sure the motor cycle scene in the preview is 4th street downtown too.

going to have to make a list of movies to see that star Baton Rouge.

Edited by cajun

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

JLo, Statham to shoot movie at Dixie Landin'

Casting directors for Parker, a crime thriller starring Jennifer Lopez and Jason Statham, are looking for extras to participate in three days of filming early next month at Dixie Landin' amusement park. They're looking for paid extras and for people who are willing to go to the park for a reduced fee on Aug. 5, Aug. 6 and Aug. 8. Filming may also happen on Aug. 9 in the event of rain on the earlier dates. Along with the reduced admission, there will also be raffles for iPods and iPads. Parker is directed by Taylor Hackford, a New Orleans resident who also made Ray and An Officer and a Gentleman, and features Wendell Pierce, a New Orleans native who is one of the stars of Treme. The movie is set for release next year. For more details, e-mail [email protected].

businessreport.com

• 1 month later...

Creator: 'Breakout Kings' moving production to Baton Rouge

The Baton Rouge entertainment industry has reached one of its major goals by bringing in production of a television series. The hit A&E show Breakout Kings will start filming its second season locally in mid-October. Nick Santora, one of the co-creators of the show, confirmed on his Twitter account that Breakout Kings will shift production from Toronto to Baton Rouge. The drama about ex-cons teaming up with U.S. Marshals to catch criminals will film on soundstages in the Celtic Media Centre and on location around Baton Rouge. Santora even Tweeted photos he shot at Angola while scouting locations there earlier this summer. Breakout Kings debuted in March and had 2.8 million viewers for the first episode, a record for an original A&E drama series. The second 10-episode season of Breakout Kings will begin airing in 2012. For years local film industry officials had said bringing in a television series was a goal, given that production on a series is a long-lasting boon, unlike that of a movie, which may only shoot for a few weeks. Chris Stelly, interim director of Louisiana Entertainment, says he cannot confirm or deny that Breakout Kings is moving production to Baton Rouge, though he did say the series is very interested in filming in Louisiana.

Businessreport.com

Movie with rising NBA star will be shot in Baton Rouge

A feature film starring Kevin Durant, one of the best young players in the NBA, will be shot in Baton Rouge, beginning in mid-September. The Oklahoman reported today that plans to shoot the movie in Oklahoma City, where Durant plays for the Oklahoma City Thunder, were quashed by the NBA lockout. The lockout prevented private businesses from making up the $1 million to $2 million difference between Oklahoma's and Louisiana's incentives for film production. According to The Oklahoman, the Sooner State offers a 37% rebate for companies filming in the state, while Louisiana has an 85% tax credit. Warner Brothers plans to release the movie, which doesn't yet have a title but will have a basketball theme. Read The Oklahoman story here.

Businessreport.com

Film production company moves base to Celtic

Active Entertainment, which has a deal to distribute made-for-TV movies to the SyFy Channel, has moved its base of operations to Celtic Studios and is taking up 5,000 square feet at the facility. Active Entertainment specializes in movies such as Swampshark and Haunted High School, which get good ratings for SyFy. Patrick Mulhearn, director of studio operations for Celtic, says it made sense for Active to move to Baton Rouge: The company shoots its movies around Lafayette and New Orleans, so the Capital Region is a good midway point. "Plus, there's the proximity to stage space," he says. Active is still keeping a presence in Acadiana; the company relocated its post-production facilities to the LITE Center in Lafayette, as part of an arrangement with Lafayette Economic Development Authority, and has added a music division to provide scores for feature films. Active has completed 12 feature films and has contracts to produce three more this year.

Businessreport.com

Post-production company opens office in Celtic

Cineworks, a post-production company that has worked on movies such as The Mechanic, Trespass and I Love You Philip Morris, has set up a satellite office at the Celtic Media Centre. The office will support film productions at the studio complex and across the Capital Region. Louisiana-based Cineworks will have from four to six full-time workers at Celtic. The operation will have suites to show daily footage shot on digital cameras and fiber upload capability. Vinny Hogan, CEO and president of New Orleans-based Cineworks, says this will put "on-the-ground access to the highest levels of technology and technical expertise" as close as possible to local film productions. Cineworks also plans to open satellite offices in Shreveport and New Orleans. "Cineworks has made the solid business decision to take their post and on-set services where the productions are going; these days that means opening operations at multiple locations in Louisiana," says Patrick Mulhearn, director of studio operations at Celtic.

Businessreport.com

• 3 weeks later...

Breakout Kings' confirms second season will be filmed in B.R.

Breakout Kings producer Garry Brown confirmed today the second season of the A&E drama will be filmed in and around Baton Rouge, making it the first TV show to film an entire season in the Capital Region. The first season was filmed in Toronto. Brown says one of the main reasons the show is moving to Baton Rouge is "the variety of locations that are available" here for shooting scenes. No doubt, the state's generous tax incentives for TV and film production also played a role in the decision. For years, local film industry officials have made bringing a TV series to the city a high priority, given that production of a regularly occurring show provides a longer-lasting boon than a movie, which can be filmed in as brief a time as a few weeks. At a press conference today, Baton Rouge Film Commission Executive Director Amy Mitchell-Smith called the move a "huge victory" for Baton Rouge and a "game changer" in the city's quest to become a true production hub. Filming of the show's 10 episodes for its second season will take place throughout the city and parish beginning on Oct. 19 and wrapping up in mid-February. As part of the filming, a press release says, "residents can expect a number of stunts, special effects and chase sequences in the months to come." The show portrays a squad of U.S. Marshals who team up with ex-cons to track down prison escapees in exchange for reduced sentences. Nick Santora, one of the co-creators of the show, confirmed on his Twitter account in late August that the show was moving to Baton Rouge.

Businessreport.com

• 2 weeks later...

SyFy network picks up film from Baton Rouge company

A film company that recently expanded into Baton Rouge has had another one of its movies picked up by the SyFy channel. Active Entertainment's Weather Wars, starring Stacy Keach, Jason London, Erin Cahill and Baton Rouge native Wes Brown, will air on the cable network in late November. SyFy is the channel formerly known as Sci-Fi. Weather Wars was shot in Lafayette, where Active Entertainment had been based for three years prior to its August move to Raleigh Studios at Celtic Media Centre in Baton Rouge. Active COO Daniel Lewis says the move will result in more film projects locally. "We're gearing up to shoot the majority of our projects here in Baton Rouge," Lewis says. "But when it makes sense, we'll still shoot in Lafayette and New Orleans." Several films are in planning stages for Baton Rouge, he says, but refrained from divulging details because the company hasn't "yet finalized all the deals." Active Entertainment has a deal to distribute made-for-TV movies to the SyFy Channel. The company also made movies such as Swamp Shark and Haunted High School, which have earned strong ratings for the network. —Ian McGibboney

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tom Cruise to film movie in B.R. in 2012

Tom Cruise will shoot the $100 million sci-fi film Horizons in Baton Rouge next year. Universal Pictures has set up an office at Celtic Media Centre, and construction is under way for the film's sets, says Patrick Mulhearn, director of Studio Operations of Raleigh Studios Baton Rouge at Celtic Media Centre. Horizons will utilize multiple stages through June and one stage through mid-August of 2012. Principal photography begins in March. The film is directed by Tron: Legacy helmer Joseph Kosinski, who developed the story first as a comic book called Oblivion. Set in a bleak future where the earth is polluted beyond recognition, the film follows Cruise's character, a disgraced soldier, as he is sent on a deadly mission to earth to battle mysterious inhabitants. Actress Jessica Chastain, who appeared in Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life, will co-star opposite Cruise.

Businessreport.com

• 2 weeks later...

Filming in B.R. for new Ethan Hawke movie to begin January

With Ethan Hawke in the starring role, a movie titled Getaway will begin shooting in Baton Rouge in January, according to Louisiana Entertainment. Other movies to be filmed in the Capital Region in the coming months include King Dog, from Dec. 5 through Jan. 14; Cutter, beginning early next year for 10 weeks; The Host, starring Saoirse Ronan, from Feb. 13 through April 20; Zombie Plantation, from Dec. 1 through Feb. 1 in Gonzalez and St. Amant; and Pitch Perfect, which will wrap up filming on Dec. 16 and has been shooting in Baton Rouge since Oct. 24. Filming in Baton Rouge and New Orleans for the untitled Universal Pictures’ film starring Tom Cruise will take place from March 12 through Aug. 12. TV series Breakout Kings will continue filming its second season in Baton Rouge through Feb. 13. More information for those looking to score work on these and other films being shot in Louisiana is available here.

Businessreport.com

• 1 month later...

'Blink' to begin filming in B.R. in coming months

Blink, a Get Real USA movie starring the company's president/actor—Khalil Kain—will begin filming in Baton Rouge in the first quarter of the new year, according to a news release issued today. Michael Worth will direct the film, which is being co-produced by Kurt Sherard of Power Pictures. According to the Get Real USA website, Blink will be a 95-minute thriller about a "sexy but deadly serial killer prowling the streets of the San Francisco Bay Area, and the cop on her trail may share more with this killer than either would like to admit." Get Real says the cast will include "several well-known actors to be named in the very near future," in addition to Kain. The majority of filming is to be done in Baton Rouge, as per an agreement with Louisiana Media Productions.

businessreport.com