Movie Production in Baton Rouge

drew6974

2 hours ago, mr. bernham said:

I'm not talking about places like Baker, Zachary, and Central, I'm talking about the massive swath of land called St. George. That land had no true disconnect from the actual city of Baton Rouge like other areas do. Not to mention that is probably the only area in the parish so connected to the main city. I mean, we can pull up maps if you want, but there are 100,000 people living in Baton Rouge, but in unincorporated highly developed land. 

As a former Floridian, I can say that yes, Tampa and Miami are in most respects treated equally. You have to understand that unlike Louisiana, Florida has done a very good job of spreading out different economic powerhouses. No city really gets more attention than the other, if there is that gets too much attention it's probably Orlando because of the massive Theme Park Industry there. 

flsmap.GIF

Contained within the dark blue 'Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater MSA' is 2.7 million people. However, nearly all entities at the state level (which we are arguing over how does the state treat other cities comparatively) include the Tampa - St. Peterburg - Clearwater MSA, Sarasota - Bradenton MSA, Lakeland - Winterhaven MSA, and Citrus Country. Even our local transportation authority uses this larger definition. The population here is 4.3 million. This all based on commuter patterns and influence. 

I'm talking about "St. George," it's not Baton Rouge legally so you can't just claim it as Baton Rouge. I understand your point but if that's the case then you must include Metiairie and Kenner as well as the Westbank (Marrero and Gretna) for New Orleans because there is no break between the two and someone not from there would have no clue that Jefferson Parish is not New Orleans. See my point?

I understand that the state looks at the area as one, Baton Rouge and New Orleans are beginning to do the same things with certain agencies. I think that a regional transportation group should be put together for us but it doesn't make us one metro. It very well is based on commute patterns and proximity but if enough commuters from Sarasota drove to Tampa or St Pete everyday, then it would be at least a CSA. 

It's fine to say the Tampa Bay Area is 4.4 million but not the Tampa Bay MSA. 

1 hour ago, dan326 said:

^Well I can't really say how the cities in Florida are treated but I think what the others are trying to say is that for the most part people from outside the state know Miami, then Orlando and the rest is pretty much irrelevant in people's minds like BR and Louisiana. 

And really from what I've seen Baton Rouge was irrelevant in a lot of ways in LA until the last 20-30 years. I've come to the point where I think it may be a good idea to combine with New Orleans because our city probably seems half the size it is, not because of straight population numbers vs population+unincorporated areas but because of the percentage of the population without disposable income and other statistics.

That's a big part of my point. No one in Europe knows Tampa and I'm sure not many know Orlando. They might know Disneyworld but they probably think it's in Miami. It's akin to the misconception than New Orleans is Cajun and has great Cajun food and that couldn't be anymore incorrect. 

In my opinion our built environment makes us feel so small, like our skyline. Also the lack of adequate infrastructure like a shabby transit system we call CATS. The freeway traffic during non peak hours makes us feel larger though.

On 1/9/2016 at 10:59 AM, Antrell Williams said:

That's a big part of my point. No one in Europe knows Tampa and I'm sure not many know Orlando. They might know Disneyworld but they probably think it's in Miami. It's akin to the misconception than New Orleans is Cajun and has great Cajun food and that couldn't be anymore incorrect. 

In my opinion our built environment makes us feel so small, like our skyline. Also the lack of adequate infrastructure like a shabby transit system we call CATS. The freeway traffic during non peak hours makes us feel larger though.

Most people think Disney World is in Orlando...it's really in Kissemee...being around the world people actual know what Orlando and some Tampa than when I talk about Baton Rouge. 

Americans may be that stupid, but Europeans surprisingly know a lot about American geography...then again that's just my own personal experience. And yeah, the 'NOLA = Cajun food' really, really pisses me off. 

On 1/10/2016 at 6:22 PM, mr. bernham said:

Most people think Disney World is in Orlando...it's really in Kissemee...being around the world people actual know what Orlando and some Tampa than when I talk about Baton Rouge. 

Americans may be that stupid, but Europeans surprisingly know a lot about American geography...then again that's just my own personal experience. And yeah, the 'NOLA = Cajun food' really, really pisses me off. 

When I travel overseas for business, I was pleasantly surprised to find out how many people knew that Baton Rouge was a city in Louisiana and LSU was the big university there.  

• Like 2

On 1/13/2016 at 7:36 PM, dan326 said:

Wow, which people/countries?

Marseille, Istanbul, Frankfurt, and Singapore last year.    Surprising number of people in Singapore that not only knew Baton Rouge, but LSU football.   

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cajun said:

Marseille, Istanbul, Frankfurt, and Singapore last year.    Surprising number of people in Singapore that not only knew Baton Rouge, but LSU football.   

That's pretty good! I wonder how our city's name got out way over there? I guess Kip's been doing pretty good at promoting.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mr. bernham said:

Would have been a brilliant Lt. Governor.

This is probably getting a little too close to "political" for this board....but yeah, despite some of his faults, I don't think they make bigger cheer leaders for the state of Louisiana.  Since the Lt. Governor's job is to support and back the tourism industry, Kip would have been a natural for that. 

As the oil industry continues to collapse, I'm afraid tourism will play a bigger, more important role in our state's short term future.  

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cajun said:

This is probably getting a little too close to "political" for this board....but yeah, despite some of his faults, I don't think they make bigger cheer leaders for the state of Louisiana.  Since the Lt. Governor's job is to support and back the tourism industry, Kip would have been a natural for that. 

As the oil industry continues to collapse, I'm afraid tourism will play a bigger, more important role in our state's short term future.  

Yes. This can not be more true. 

Well, at least he a JBE have raised federal attention for the traffic in Louisiana and we may be getting 100 million to fix it. Apparently they talked to Obama about it and he is going to try and push it.

8 hours ago, mr. bernham said:

Yes. This can not be more true. 

Well, at least he a JBE have raised federal attention for the traffic in Louisiana and we may be getting 100 million to fix it. Apparently they talked to Obama about it and he is going to try and push it.

From what I understand, some funding for I-10 in Baton Rouge may have been included in an amendment (possibly installed by Garret Graves [(R)- 6th district]...trying to find more details) to the recent budget even before Obama visited.   I'm not sure if it made it through without being stripped but I'm hopeful.

See video:

http://thehayride.com/2015/11/video-garret-graves-on-traffic-in-baton-rouge/

So apparently both POTUS and congress have heard ear fulls about how terrible traffic is in Louisiana's capital city.

As a side note, I think it would be wise for Holden, LED, and BRAC to come up with an updated plan for the capital area's economic future this spring.  I think we are more likely to see oil prices dip even more over the next few years.   If that happens, a lot of local businesses could fail in Baton Rouge, Morgan City, Houma, Lafayette, and SE Texas....and it could happen rather quickly.   State funding for higher ed can dry up and the local housing market could suffer.  I'm bearish right now and I think that we should be hopeful, but also preparing ourselves for another prolonged downturn similar to what we saw in the mid 1980s in Louisiana.   If that means film and technology, Baton Rouge needs a union designation and they need it now.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 3

On 1/17/2016 at 7:32 PM, cajun said:

From what I understand, some funding for I-10 in Baton Rouge may have been included in an amendment (possibly installed by Garret Graves [(R)- 6th district]...trying to find more details) to the recent budget even before Obama visited.   I'm not sure if it made it through without being stripped but I'm hopeful.

See video:

http://thehayride.com/2015/11/video-garret-graves-on-traffic-in-baton-rouge/

So apparently both POTUS and congress have heard ear fulls about how terrible traffic is in Louisiana's capital city.

As a side note, I think it would be wise for Holden, LED, and BRAC to come up with an updated plan for the capital area's economic future this spring.  I think we are more likely to see oil prices dip even more over the next few years.   If that happens, a lot of local businesses could fail in Baton Rouge, Morgan City, Houma, Lafayette, and SE Texas....and it could happen rather quickly.   State funding for higher ed can dry up and the local housing market could suffer.  I'm bearish right now and I think that we should be hopeful, but also preparing ourselves for another prolonged downturn similar to what we saw in the mid 1980s in Louisiana.   If that means film and technology, Baton Rouge needs a union designation and they need it now.

Literally all of this is true.

• 2 weeks later...

The magazine ranks Baton Rouge as its third spot, with Savannah, Georgia and New Orleans topping the list.

http://www.moviemaker.com/archives/news/2016-best-places-small-cities-and-towns/3/

3. Baton Rouge, Louisiana

With a population just under half a million, this capital city hosted over 35 productions in 2015, with local production spending exceeding an impressive $175 million. Productions shot in town included The Magnificent Seven (the Antoine Fuqua reboot with Chris Pratt and Denzel Washington of Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai), MTV’s Scream, Sundance Channel’s Hap and Leonard, Underground (WGN’s original series about the Underground Railroad), a digital series from Vimeo called The Parallax Theory, and Showing Roots, an indie feature starring Uzo Aduba and Elizabeth McGovern and inspired by the Roots miniseries.

An 80-mile drive from New Orleans, the Big Easy might outweigh it in volume of production, but it is Baton Rouge that has Celtic Studios, the biggest purpose-built production studio in the entire state. “Big Raggedy” is rife with little bonuses like these, on top of the strong Louisiana tax incentive program. As a major testament to the Baton Rouge Film Commission’s prowess, production has gone digital. Its free app, BY BATON ROUGE, streamlines information pertaining to shooting locations, crew, and hundreds of local vendors offering discounts to film and television productions.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Been a while over here...

Thought this was pretty cool....This movie "One Nation Under God" was filmed in BR & will play in 18'  ...Good message + check Video trailer at 1:15 Capitol Lake & 1:17 brief Downtown shot from near Miss. River Bridge  / 1:22 at Lee HS

https://vimeo.com/224002562

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
A MESSAGE FROM THE DDD
usskiddhighwater_emailheader.jpg
img-spacer.gif
FIlming at the USS kidd
simulated gunfire 3/28 1-3PM

Tom Hanks is in Baton Rouge Louisiana for the filming of "Greyhound," a World War II naval drama. Filming is set on the USS Kidd, and the story follows Hanks' character, a troubled Navy destroyer commander soon after the U.S.' entry into the war.

Greyhound Productions, Inc. would like to inform everyone of simulated gunfire tests aboard the USS Kidd tomorrow, 3/28/18, from 1PM - 3PM. Guns will be pointed out towards Port Allen, on USS KIDD's port side, and firing blank full loads.

The Mississippi River is still at flood stage and it is a cool sight to see. Come out and enjoy Downtown Baton Rouge's riverfront this holiday weekend.

Riverfront_USSKIDD_emailheader.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 4/15/2019 at 9:36 PM, richyb83 said:

Celtic Movie Studio thread has been archived; some Post started coming here.

Paramount shooting new TV series in Baton Rouge

https://www.businessreport.com/business/paramount-shooting-new-tv-series-in-baton-rouge

Could it be this?   It's a major network with a name brand actress.   Said network just bought the rights to Sex and the City and the follow up book series.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/sex-and-the-city-follow-up-development-paramount-tv-1203173942/

Or this? 

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/emily-in-paris-lily-collins-to-star-in-new-paramount-network-series/

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...