DPC Agendas

RestedTraveler

Figured I may as well start a thread to post these puppies as they come up...

August, 2007:

Subject: Upcoming Applications for the Design & Preservation Commission

Date: July 18, 2007

The City of Greenville Design & Preservation Commission (DPC) will hold a Public Hearing on Thursday, August 2, 2007, at 4:00 p.m. in the 10th floor Council Chambers at City Hall, for the purpose of considering the following applications.

CA 07-65 A request by Nancy Eades to replace wood siding & windows, and to add a rear deck at 309 Overbrook Road, in the Overbrook Preservation Overlay District.

CA 07-70 A request by Edward Zeigler, Jr. of Craig, Gaulden & Davis on behalf of Peacock Hotel & Spa, LLC, to approve a re-design of the previously-approved building at 98 East McBee Avenue, in the Central Business District, Pedestrian Zone.

CA 07-72 A request by Earle Hungerford on behalf of Falls Place, LLC and the City of Greenville to allow renovation of the first floor fa

• 1 month later...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting. I can't imagine why they'd find reason to reject the Main At River Street project. It's got the building facade incorporated and if they care AT ALL about growing downtown then they should know that that property is a very important link. It sounds like a lot of great additions to downtown.

Actually, has the meeting happened yet? And if so, what was the verdicts?

Believe it or not, the DPC rejected the proposed project at Main and River Streets in the West End.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....SINESS/70906044

When is the DPC going to wake up and realize that this most recent proposal is a great project? The structure that is currently there is clearly unusable and unsightly. It's not like the developer wants to build a highrise on that spot!

Believe it or not, the DPC rejected the proposed project at Main and River Streets in the West End.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....SINESS/70906044

When is the DPC going to wake up and realize that this most recent proposal is a great project? The structure that is currently there is clearly unusable and unsightly. It's not like the developer wants to build a highrise on that spot!

Skyliner, your graphic and idea above goes along with Michelins thinking. A modern day version of "meet me under thc clock at Marshall Fields". The last sentences from an article in the GV News:

The aim of the Michelin Man on the entrance is as a signature for the destination.

"We are working to create a destination, one that can be used for directions," he said. "We'd like people to say, 'Go to the Michelin Man and turn left.' "

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...9/1003/BUSINESS

I wonder if the DPC would deny a Mickey head if this were Disney? If you think I'm stuck on this Bib thing, I am, because I see this as much more than Bib on a building. I see this as a bellwether case for the DPC. The DPC has got to lighten up (keeping good taste in mind) and have some fun! Greenville has slowly and surely built one of the best downtowns in the nation, and we need to start enjoying it more. We need to inject some sense of humor into it and we need to lighten up. IMHO.

Wow. This is not at all the news I wanted to read on here. They rejected Mr Bib AND the River St\Main St proposal? Sorry, but this is garbage. The building for the corner is Main and River Streets REPLACES the SAME facade that currently exists and expands the current space on the lot. I don't understand the problem. What century are we in and what city are we? I am glad they will continue to try, but who knows when they will just give up...? It must be discouraging... <_<

Its difficult to judge not knowing all of the details. When they approve something we like, we are just happy and dont ask why. When it's to the contrary, we never know the reason for the rejection and it may be something that we are not aware of from the few pics posted here, we just assume they didnt like the picture and that they are making a mistake.

They might have a very good reason, and I would like to give them some praise for their work so far. I am very pleased with the downtown they have helped shape and so are many others from the numbers of people that flock to this area every day and night.

Archived