The IBM Block

richyb83

Here was my question submitted back on July 5th to "Ask the Advocate". This was thier response in Tuesday's(July 17th) newspaper. 2TheAdvocate website finally posted today.

Q: Now that the old Advocate building downtown has been demolished, what are the plans for the site? And when will it begin? Word has it that something nice will be built there. This vacant block is prime riverfront property; Baton Rouge deserves something nice.

A:

Edited by richyb83

Here was my question submitted back on July 5th to "Ask the Advocate". This was thier response in Tuesday's(July 17th) newspaper. 2TheAdvocate website finally posted today.

Q: Now that the old Advocate building downtown has been demolished, what are the plans for the site? And when will it begin? Word has it that something nice will be built there. This vacant block is prime riverfront property; Baton Rouge deserves something nice.

A: "We recognize the importance of this block to the future development of downtown Baton Rouge," said Richard Manship. "We are working closely with a developer to determine what options are available for a mixed-use development on the site. We are in the early master planning stage of our evaluation process. Importantly, our family believes that this project must not only add value to downtown, but will also be something that the entire community can all be proud of. We hope to make a decision by year end."

Send questions to Ask The Advocate, P.O. Box 588, Baton Rouge, LA 70821-0588; or fax to Ask The Advocate, (225) 388-0297; or e-mail to [email protected].

> A very credible source told me that the original 30-story mixed-use tower was scrapped in favor of two buildings approx. 12 (10-15)? -stories with a central plaza. Dan had some of his proposed renderings in other BR threads on what they might look-like :shades:

Whatever happens to this property, it sounds very nice! And sure to compliment RiverPlace next-door. :thumbsup:

thanks for the info richy........ive been wondering what was going on with that space too

I could go with 2 buildings between 10-15 stories. Especially if they put them vertical to the river so you could tell that there were two separate buildings. It would at a little bit more dept to the "skyline". Can you imagine if they start building this project when Riverplace is going up at the same time? Instant skyline...

^ No doubt those two developments alone will change the skyline; not to mention change the streetscape of River Road and Lafayette Street.

As much as I like tall buildings; one 30-story tower would make the skyline look too lopsided; two-10,12 or 15 story towers would look better and give the skyline some more depth and density

Edited by richyb83

Agree... I think if you have 2 towers, One American Plaza, Riverplace, and the Chase Towers, we will have alot of bulk kind of centralized, with the Capital and the state buildings flanking that bulk. Not mention the bulk on the south side of downtown, with the new buildings there. It could actually look quite nice and dare I say look like a legit downtown and skyline LOL

^ Agreed :thumbsup: The skyline downtown will be much more fitting to Baton Rouge. Like you said the two Advocate towers will fit in perfectly between the other buildings.

And then, we won't have have to wonder what the skyline downtown would have looked like with the other taller buildings scattered around the city like the 22-story Marriott; Shaw or Jacobs on Essen; Mid city's Dean Plaza or Woodale office bldg, etc. It will be good as is!

Edited by richyb83

See I'd like to see 2 cylinder towers or 2 skinny pyramids. We need something more than just square. Give us architecture and geometric shapes. Make it interesting and fun. We want people to come here and say, "wow that is a cool building".

I agree that would be cool to have something with a "funky" shape to it.

That is a GREAT looking building. I don't think we'll see something like that in BR. I think that is WAY to modern for some in BR. That is a building that really needs to be seen and admired. Maybe in that land on Essen Ln across from the Shaw building. Could you imagine how that would look on that triangle of land. AWESOME!!!!!

• 3 months later...

This development will be interesting to watch unfold. It should still be nice even w/o Commercial Properties office space. Space for Raising Canes HQ's could take their place instead?? A couple of months to find out. If I have learned anything about these big projects..it's to be patient, and that's not always easy :lol::rolleyes:

Commercial Properties no longer involved in old Advocate site

Commercial Properties Development Corp. is no longer involved with plans to redevelop The Advocate

Edited by richyb83

• 2 months later...

This project should be a real attention getter for downtown in particular and BR as a whole. I hadn't heard that Trey Trahan is designing the new development at the old Advocate site. I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Whether it retains its developmental shape, with that warm, snaky strength of flow recalling the great bends and curves of the Mighty Mississippi itself is yet to be determined. But what is almost certain, even at the design stage, is its future place among the premier developments in the city.

This year Trahan gets to put his lucrative sports stadium work aside in favor of more inventive, design-heavy projects. With the Manship family's property on River Road, he gets to position yet another strategic domino of modern design downtown.

Now if we can get the RiverPlace condos next door going... the northern cbd renaissance will be even more dramatic than what's going on in the southern section.

http://www.225batonrouge.com/news/2007/dec/28/trey-trahan/

________________________________________________________________________________

Drew, the rules of UrbanPlanet do not allow for the posting of entire articles or article clippings that are longer than 3-4 sentences. I formated your post to follow the rules, and in the future, please follow a similar format. Thanks! -NCB

Edited by NCB

Thanks for posting this drew. WOW! Sounds like a real attention getter! I did not know Trahan was on this either. I can't wait to see a rendering!!! BR needs more cutting-edge architecture! But I know some people want to keep the same ole' boring bland architecture that dominates much of downtown.

Yes there are three blocks of prime riverfront property undeveloped. Only thing there now is the Little Village restuarant, Thirsty Tiger and a residential loft on top at side(small tract)at the corner of the future RiverPlace (middle) block.

On the block nearest to the Hilton Capitol Center where the giant surface parking lot now stands; plans were scrapped in 1999 for a 26-story mixed-use tower; Laurel Plaza; now developers who own that block Hartley & Vey just sit and wait I guess??

25downtowntowert600ok1.jpg

Maybe they can pursue something more feasible like this 15-story tower???

25riverhousecondominiumdk7.jpg

Yes there are three blocks of prime riverfront property undeveloped. Only thing there now is the Little Village restuarant, Thirsty Tiger and a residential loft on top at side(small tract)at the corner of the future RiverPlace (middle) block.

On the block nearest to the Hilton Capitol Center where the giant surface parking lot now stands; plans were scrapped in 1999 for a 26-story mixed-use tower; Laurel Plaza; now developers who own that block Hartley & Vey just sit and wait I guess??

25downtowntowert600ok1.jpg

Maybe they can pursue something more feasible like this 15-story tower???

25riverhousecondominiumdk7.jpg

That 26 story design certainly looks quite bulky. It really would have taken the entire block. That would have been nice on that property.

• 1 month later...

Thanks diner roll :thumbsup: I went ahead added it to this thread.

Can't wait to see some renderings?? Have the plans changed yet again?? Unfortunately there is still no time-table. Trahan architects will build something cutting edge and nice I'm sure. It might even be a little whacky-looking?? And the Bluebonnet property mentioned is also prime for some nice development across from Mall of La.

Plenty of interest in Advocate

Edited by richyb83