The IBM Block

richyb83

That corner unit looks very appealing! Love these small residential developments. These do so much more for the streetscape than something like Riverplace would have. If I haven't said it before, I'll say it now: I'm very happy Riverplace did not get built.

Riverplace? 

I was downtown tonight for an event at the Hilton and I looked towards the State Capitol building...guy's, someone over there must read our board because the top had red and green floodlights for Christmas. 

Also there are plans to develop five luxury condos on a tract of land on Main Street, adjacent to the IBM facility under development downtown. Each will be four stories, with rooftop outdoor kitchens.

Townhomes_zps2a8173f4.png

https://d46w5x9vt7qfg.cloudfront.net/businessreport/2014/12/Small-1.pdf

Will these be for IBM Employees or just development happening around the area? 

Also, do I spy glass on the buildings in those first few pictures? If so then this construction is going by fast, when was IBM expected to be finished?

Riverplace? 

I was downtown tonight for an event at the Hilton and I looked towards the State Capitol building...guy's, someone over there must read our board because the top had red and green floodlights for Christmas. 

Will these be for IBM Employees or just development happening around the area? 

Also, do I spy glass on the buildings in those first few pictures? If so then this construction is going by fast, when was IBM expected to be finished?

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/31463-river-place-condominiums/

I'd agree there. Does seem awkward.

Yeah it will be, Downtown BR is a little narrow street wise. 

Maybe another reason it seems strange for some of you is that downtown BR (from my knowledge) has never had hotels or apartment buildings with parking like what the IBM Block, in fact it seems as though this is the most dense period in the downtown's history since WWII. There appears to be a much greater density in terms of offices, hotels, restaurants, shops, and apartments being right next to each other then before.  

Well what I was really referring to was that it seems like you wouldn't really be able to see the street or around corner until the back of the vehicle is already in the street. But now that I think about it, I'm guessing the meters will be taken down on the left side of the street and used as a sort of driveway.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted a long winded diatribe on how awesome IBM is for Baton Rouge in a few months. Let's just assume I'm repeating all of that now.

Construction looked good when I was in town last week. I really hope the state and the city can get another company just like IBM to come to town.

In downtown BR? How much traffic do you think is down there right now?

Main doesn't get particularly bad at rush hour until you get east of 4th street. Edited by cajun

I haven't posted a long winded diatribe on how awesome IBM is for Baton Rouge in a few months. Let's just assume I'm repeating all of that now.

Construction looked good when I was in town last week. I really hope the state and the city can get another company just like IBM to come to town.

Main doesn't get particularly bad at rush hour until you get east of 4th street.

I think one of the reasons IBM came here was really a once in a lifetime opportunity. That is that the universities here will bend over backwards to provide IBM with the people they need, but with similar companies I think the universities would cater to IBM less and less along with the other companies. Still Boeing or another biggie would be cool. 

Here is a bigger question for some of you, New Orleans given its location should be a major global city on the scale of New York so my question to you all is where did it go wrong? 

I think one of the reasons IBM came here was really a once in a lifetime opportunity. That is that the universities here will bend over backwards to provide IBM with the people they need, but with similar companies I think the universities would cater to IBM less and less along with the other companies. Still Boeing or another biggie would be cool. 

Here is a bigger question for some of you, New Orleans given its location should be a major global city on the scale of New York so my question to you all is where did it go wrong? 

I think they would still work with IBM and other companies, if need be.

Southern University and BRCC are still here as well, don't forget them. Southern has a good law school and nursing program.

Off-topic(feel free to take it to the NO forum): Politics, cronyism and corruption that goes along with it. New Orleans should be on the scale of at least Chicago if all was well.

Natural barriers to expansion, competition from newer cities with better infrastructure and better skilled work-forces, and finally, the oil bust. 

It was the 3rd largest city in the nation once upon a time (1820 or 1830 census, perhaps)...right behind New York City and Baltimore. 

Natural barriers to expansion, competition from newer cities with better infrastructure and better skilled work-forces, and finally, the oil bust.

It was the 3rd largest city in the nation once upon a time (1820 or 1830 census, perhaps)...right behind New York City and Baltimore.

New Orleans peaked in the 1960s and rapidly declined afterwards. Just like Memphis and Birmingham, the white middle class abandoned the city when the schools became dangerous.

I think big oil moved out in the 1980s and what was left before Katrina was a city that was seriously struggling to manage a decline.

The future of New Orleans mirrors that of Charleston. It's a fantastic tourist town with a big port. Big businesses are largely gone, and the state as a whole has failed to diversify its economy with Houston and Dallas so close. It's nothing like what it once was, and probably never will be again.

I live in Atlanta now, and I've lived in Tampa, Houston, New Orleans, Dallas, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and DC. All of them were better than New Orleans. New Orleans is a fun place to visit, but now that I'm an adult with responsibilities, New Orleans has no appeal to me as a place to live.

Edited by cajun

I live in Atlanta now, and I've lived in Tampa, Houston, New Orleans, Dallas, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and DC. All of them were better than New Orleans. New Orleans is a fun place to visit, but now that I'm an adult with responsibilities, New Orleans has no appeal to me as a place to live.

I think that could be worded much better.

I think that could be worded much better.

Not really. It's the truth.

There comes a time when you'll notice it as well. Places that you thought were cool when you were younger lose their appeal.

This is why I'm more excited about IBM than I would be about a new concert venue.

Edited by cajun

Not really. It's the truth.

There comes a time when you'll notice it as well. Places that you thought were cool when you were younger lose their appeal.

This is why I'm more excited about IBM than I would be about a new concert venue.

There's plenty of people moving to New Orleans with families, and without, of a wide range of ages. New Orleans is a polarizing place, it's not for everyone.