The IBM Block

richyb83

From what I heard, it would be suprising to see anything taller than 12-stories at this prime site. Possibly two buildings. I wish some media outlet was there at street-level with scrolling digital panels. Can't wait to see some renderings; should be a very cutting egde design.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What could this be going on at the old Advocate site?? Could something be starting up by August??

51608005dd7.jpg

SEE FOR YOURSELF??

Here is Trahan Architects modified website; click on "2nd" wiggly line "Work in Progress"...then click *Mixed-Used Development* & Riverfront Master Plan; look at cross section of pic #6 is where the no.# of floors gets tricky due to the elevation underneath

http://www.trahanarchitects.com/

>> Hard to explain! Very cutting edge architecture...pulling that off will be impressive and something the likes of Baton Rouge has never seen! :w00t: The building will "bend" like the meandering river toward River Rd. and North Street; and be elevated over the urban waterfront public greenspace overlooking the river :shades: Linnear building section along Lafayette Street and Main Street.

What do yall think???

Thats insane! I love his inspiration, the meandering river, and the different courses its traveled over the eons, all layered on top of each other. I think its in the beginnings of becoming something truly original, and iconic. I just hope it has a little height to it, I'm hoping for something in the 10-20 story range, just to give a little height to river road, but still being able to see over the building to see the rest of downtown from the river. Plus, at that height, it should be a nice balance to river place.

^For some reason(on my above post) I was thinking/hoping for something by August. Maybe 2 years??? Given the special architecture that's blown my mind and all the dirt to elevate the greenspace. Could be wishful thinking?? On the website, it's hard to see exactly how many stories this will be?? It looks like 7 or 8 stories on top of a few levels?? Making it maybe 10; I know it won't be taller than 12. I sure can't wait to see what this will look like next to RiverPlace!!!

?Someone please tell me WHY the "Magic" # number of floors seems to be 12 and so many of the projects?? And not 10, 11 or 14?? Ever since the 20-story north Chase Tower was built in the late 80's....nothing has gone taller than 13 floors:

*Jacobs Plaza > 13-stories (1989)

*Shaw Plaza >12-stories (2002)

*LaSalle Bldg. >12-stories (2001)

*Galvez Bldg. >13-stories (2003)

* II City Plaza > 12/13-stories (2008)

* New Courthouse > 12-stories (2008-09')

* renovation for new Renaissance Hotel > 12-stories (08'-09')

Plan BR hired Urban Planner Andres Duany back in 99' who suggested nothing go over 12-stories; glad they didn't listen. And Emporis definition of "high-rise" is 12-stories and up. Cajun brought up a good point that Tall buildings are not everything, using the example of Washington DC, which is very urban. But still, I'm anxious for something tall in BR bec. of the dry-spell.

I know going vertical is more $expensive than ever these days; hopefully River Place and River Park will break this trend??

Edited by richyb83

So true Dan. I understand both points; yours and Cajun's. Philadelphia had a height ordinance for many years with nothing taller than City Hall. However the ordinance was dropped with the new gleaming towers everywhere (except the Ben Franklin Pkwy.) Cleveland too had their's dropped after many years(I think). Due to earthquakes L.A. had the same thing til new technology had them build skyscrapers.

Contrary to popular belief BR does not have a height ordinance the 450'ft. State Capitol. The Capitol grounds acts has a large enough buffer-zone that more tall buildings really not effect the view.

The old Advocate site is not the ideal spot for something too tall with the future 30(+?)story RiverPlace being next to it. The skyline will be "too" top heavy(tilted to the left). But I would like to see a new tower(if not RiverPlace) take the title of "2nd Tallest" from One American Place(310'ft). Something in the 350-400ft' along the Fourth Street corridor. range would be ideal if it can't be taller than the Capitol.

Edited by richyb83

What an exciting project! These kind of projects will be what separates Baton Rouge from its lame duck downtown image.

The best part is that something as striking as this, will be seen head on from the river!

Edited by BRPJ

• 7 months later...

This still sits :whistling: don't know what happened to the office plans with BRAC & BRAF?? What is the demand for new Class A office space downtown?? Does it even matter with the countless new cheaper suburban garden office development??

If RiverPlace could ever get off the ground; along with hopefully Aububon's ALIVE! and even River Park...the synergy would be ideal for a mixed-use development at this block. Downtown has been able to pull off several nice projects; the riverfront properties seem to be more diffucult in pulling off! If the property is gonna just sit there vacant; I wish they could have rebuilt a nicer new Advocate building at the site; "consolidating" the TWO current properties; the 6-story office at Bluebonnet; with the giant printing press building off I-10/Siegen.

Still waiting??

The fate of The Advocate

Edited by richyb83

They are stopping the new Woman's Hospital.

I hate to say it, but if something with the guaranteed income such as a medical center can't get financing....then you can forget everything else.

I'm really ticked off that we spent hundreds of billions bailing out these banks and they continue to freeze up when it comes to loaning money. We should have let them go out of business!

• 8 months later...

Finally... was about to ask The Advocate if something would ever happen at the prime riverfront site! If another parking garage does go up...make sure it's still a mixed-use development with office/residential on top...great location between the RiverPlace site; Alive! and the new state buildings!!

Former downtown Advocate property for sale

The former downtown site of Capital City Press LLC is officially up for grabs, according to Kurz and Hebert Commercial Real Estate, the sales agent for the Manship family, which owns the property. George Kurz, co-owner of the real estate firm, says the land at 525 Lafayette St. is packaged with a parking lot southeast of the square-block site. He says a for-sale sign went up about a month ago at the location where The Advocate operated for decades before moving to Bluebonnet Boulevard. "It's a prime development site on the river," Downtown Development District Executive Director Davis Rhorer says. "We've had maybe four or five different groups express interest on that." Kurz says the land has been bulldozed for about two years and could host a multi-level parking garage, condominiums or other downtown residential space, or office space. "Their plan was to do something with the property," he says of the owners, "and at this point the best thing to do is to look forward to a sale

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

image001r.png

http://www.brriverfrontsite.com/

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Oneman, things happen slow in Baton Rouge...especially during what seems to be a perpetual recession.

To kill time, you can always check out this zombie apocalypse map of Baton Rouge and come up with an emergency plan.

We are truly ill-prepared for such an event.

Oneman, things happen slow in Baton Rouge...especially during what seems to be a perpetual recession.

To kill time, you can always check out this zombie apocalypse map of Baton Rouge and come up with an emergency plan.

We are truly ill-prepared for such an event.

I was being a little facetious here....but have you guys heard about the face eating zombie

guy in Florida?