Richmond CenterStage

burt

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to the next (and second) construction update. Since the first one was dated July 17th, I expect the next will be tomorrow, Tuesday the 24th of July.

See the original post above for access to the site.

I dont know what they would say though. Hasnt been much exterior activity going on that I could see this past week.

• 2 weeks later...

I had lunch on two different days with Linda Dalch-Jones who is the new "head honcha" at Richmond /Center Stage. She showed me the "Model" room which contains miniatures of all the buildings around the performing arts center as well as detailed renderings of every feature in the complex. There are swatches of materials that will be used in carpeting and color samples for walls, ceilings, etc. For example they have discovered that the blue "sky" effect presently there is incorrect and will be repainted a deeper cobalt shade. The tiny light bulb stars which twinkle will be replaced with a fiber optic system and the moving cloud effect will be retained.

The Libby Gottwald theatre on the second and third levels of the Thalhimer building will have a hydraulic floor that can transform the space from a 200-seat raked theatre to an open floor configuration. The entire complex will have state-of-the-art stage lighting.

Elevators to balcony levels in the Carpenter Theatre as well as to upper reaches of the Thalhimer complex will be just inside the Grace Street doors where theatre-goers will have expanded lobby space. Rest rooms (with many more stalls than in the past) will be on the first and second levels of the Thalhimer building accessible to orchestra and balcony sections. The original rest room lounges on the second level of the theatre will be opened to expand the upper lobby. And the former stores lining Grace Street in old Loew's ground level will become additional lobby space with plate glass windows allowing interior views from the street.

When I mentioned a complaint from an RCW poster that no coat-check room could be found in the plan, it created considerable consternation and an acknowledgment of an oversight by planners. I believe it was Morgan at RCW who pointed out this lack of hat/coat checking facilities. Rest assured that it will be brought to the attention of the architects and space will be rearranged to accommodate the need.

The basements of both buildings (Carpenter & Thalhimers) will contain mechanical as well as practical spaces such as star dressing rooms with elegant accommodations and other rooms for actors and chorus memebers.

Ms Dalch-Jones is working toward building a $20 million endowment and is having considerable success.

The "model room" is on the first floor of First Market Bank at the canal turning basin. It is next door to Southern RR Deli. Perhaps some of you who are interested could organize a group from UP and RCW and I will arrange with Ms Dalch-Jones or a representative to meet with you in the model space where there are tables and chairs to accommodate up to 20 people. Each of you could purchase your lunch at the Southern deli and bring it to the meeting.

Let me know if anyone wants to take on the responsibility. But I'll tell you one thing I learned from the recent experience of planning a party to hear Ken Navarro at Toads Place last Sunday. NEVER AGAIN!!! Changes as well as adding and subtracting participants who finally numbered 16, coupled with the ultimate cancellation of the Navarro concert was a lesson learned. :shok:

I had lunch on two different days with Linda Dalch-Jones who is the new "head honcha" at Richmond /Center Stage. She showed me the "Model" room which contains miniatures of all the buildings around the performing arts center as well as detailed renderings of every feature in the complex. There are swatches of materials that will be used in carpeting and color samples for walls, ceilings, etc. For example they have discovered that the blue "sky" effect presently there is incorrect and will be repainted a deeper cobalt shade. The tiny light bulb stars which twinkle will be replaced with a fiber optic system and the moving cloud effect will be retained.

The Libby Gottwald theatre on the second and third levels of the Thalhimer building will have a hydraulic floor that can transform the space from a 200-seat raked theatre to an open floor configuration. The entire complex will have state-of-the-art stage lighting.

Elevators to balcony levels in the Carpenter Theatre as well as to upper reaches of the Thalhimer complex will be just inside the Grace Street doors where theatre-goers will have expanded lobby space. Rest rooms (with many more stalls than in the past) will be on the first and second levels of the Thalhimer building accessible to orchestra and balcony sections. The original rest room lounges on the second level of the theatre will be opened to expand the upper lobby. And the former stores lining Grace Street in old Loew's ground level will become additional lobby space with plate glass windows allowing interior views from the street.

When I mentioned a complaint from an RCW poster that no coat-check room could be found in the plan, it created considerable consternation and an acknowledgment of an oversight by planners. I believe it was Morgan at RCW who pointed out this lack of hat/coat checking facilities. Rest assured that it will be brought to the attention of the architects and space will be rearranged to accommodate the need.

The basements of both buildings (Carpenter & Thalhimers) will contain mechanical as well as practical spaces such as star dressing rooms with elegant accommodations and other rooms for actors and chorus memebers.

Ms Dalch-Jones is working toward building a $20 million endowment and is having considerable success.

The "model room" is on the first floor of First Market Bank at the canal turning basin. It is next door to Southern RR Deli. Perhaps some of you who are interested could organize a group from UP and RCW and I will arrange with Ms Dalch-Jones or a representative to meet with you in the model space where there are tables and chairs to accommodate up to 20 people. Each of you could purchase your lunch at the Southern deli and bring it to the meeting.

Let me know if anyone wants to take on the responsibility. But I'll tell you one thing I learned from the recent experience of planning a party to hear Ken Navarro at Toads Place last Sunday. NEVER AGAIN!!! Changes as well as adding and subtracting participants who finally numbered 16, coupled with the ultimate cancellation of the Navarro concert was a lesson learned. :shok:

Is she also involved with Richmond City Center? Or is the model... just of Richmond Center Stage?

I might just have to check that out then. Thanks for the info.

It's not a place where one can just walk in without prearranged plans. Unless it were an approved group, it's unlikely you'd be able to see the model room which is kept under lock and key.

It's not a place where one can just walk in without prearranged plans. Unless it were an approved group, it's unlikely you'd be able to see the model room which is kept under lock and key.

Oh I understood that, I will let you know when I can go so I can get her information and set something up... probably with the residents of Berry Burk or something along those lines.

Here's a story by Will Jones from today's inRich about RCS construction:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....08-11-0088.html

There was also a very nice image of the interior of the construction of the stage protection barrier on the front page of the TD over the weekend... does anyone else have that image and the option to scan it?

Thanks to Creative Class we can now keep track of construction on the Richmond Center Stage project.

Open this site:

http://www.richmondcenterstage.com/index.php

Then hit Building Update at bottom right.

Creative posted it on RCW with just the word "here", but that's beyond my capability.

Apparently the site will report on progress weekly.

Journi, is the TD picture, which is not on-line, the same as the one on this construction update?

Try here burt

jo...terclipping.jpg

don't know if this is how at all but .... I tried!

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z219/jo...terclipping.jpg

Is this the pic? It was listed on the online version of the Times Dispatch. ( I did not know there was an online until the 11th, I don;t get the paper because of allergies but this is great you may want to look into it!!. Its an exact copy of the paper)

Glad it worked out! For future reference, if you click the little button above the text area that looks like a landscape picture, you can put the url for the image there and it will come up in this thread with no need to click on the link.

I saw this one, but I think they also recently had another photo of the Carpenter Center somewhere.

Papers were introduced today by the Mayor to City Council in preparation for a councilmanic vote on September 10th to approve or not to approve Wilder's City of the Future appropriation for Richmond Center Stage. Today's meeting was expected to last about ten minutes.

Meanwhile, construction activity continues inside the Carpenter Theatre.

See http://www.richmondcenterstage.com/index.php for this week's construction update.

Archived