Richmond CenterStage

burt

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back wall coming down to make way for expansion of the stage. Link to NBC12 article:

http://www.nbc12.com/news/state/15608467.html

Yeah, that's some pretty intense work going on there. I took my daughter down to watch the wrecking ball begin its assault on the Thalheimer's building years ago and I went down there yesterday to take a peek. Pretty doggone intense! That's about the only word I could come up with to describe what I saw. The magnitude of this project, coupled with the age of this building and its history make it very interesting. You see these huge machines working so delicately and you wonder what would happen if someone had just one slip. Whew!

The site seems to have a little bit more information than ever before. This should be a class 'A' venue when completed!

BTW, does anyone else ever remember the tale of this facility 'sinking'? It seems that I remember my dad telling us that this place was sinking a little bit every year, back when it was the Lowes Theatre. That was over 30 years ago and I swear, it doesn't look like it has sunken at all.

• 2 weeks later...

You miss us don't you? ;)

I check in from time to time and note that you're doing a fine job of filling in. Guess it took my retirement to bring you back into the fold. :)

I butted in today because NYC is getting no support from the "save West Hosp or die" crowd. And also because CommRE's kind entry for performing arts construction doesn't access the full site and weekly updates.

I have a full week in Richmond planned in March.

Ciao!

I check in from time to time and note that you're doing a fine job of filling in. Guess it took my retirement to bring you back into the fold. :)

I butted in today because NYC is getting no support from the "save West Hosp or die" crowd. And also because CommRE's kind entry for performing arts construction doesn't access the full site and weekly updates.

I have a full week in Richmond planned in March.

Ciao!

I actually had and have some major issues to deal with. Just recently I have been able to catch up on Richmond stuff.

Let me know when you will be in town.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to bring any who are interested up to date on work progress at Richmond Center Stage, here is a visual tour made by a friend on our hard-hat trip to the facility Monday, March 12th:

http://www.visualtour.com/shownp.asp?SK=13&T=1435454

For weekly photo updates, you may continuie to find them at: http://www.richmondcenterstsge.com under the What's New heading.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The weekly photo update should be available very soon -- maybe today. I'll alert all when it's up.

So glad to see interest in this site.

I will add that not only is the steel going up for the expansion, it would appear that the sidewalks along 7th and Grace Sts will be re-poured along with the floors that have already been steeled and framed up for concreting. Here's hoping they get the sidewalks re-opened soon!

I will add that not only is the steel going up for the expansion, it would appear that the sidewalks along 7th and Grace Sts will be re-poured along with the floors that have already been steeled and framed up for concreting. Here's hoping they get the sidewalks re-opened soon!

Journi, see the construction update for April 1st. It shows work on the steel foundation for the 7th street sidewalk.

Steel is starting to rise for the stage expansion.

The steel rising is behind the Southeast Quadrant (old Thalhimers) and is for the new loading dock. The newest update, which I will post tomorrow, will show that construction as well as foundation work and siding that has risen to the stage level in the new stage house location.

The steel rising is behind the Southeast Quadrant (old Thalhimers) and is for the new loading dock. The newest update, which I will post tomorrow, will show that construction as well as foundation work and siding that has risen to the stage level in the new stage house location.

The CenterStage person responsible for posting construction updates is on vacation, so there will be two next week.

Incidentally, the RCS office has relocated from the fourth to the ground floor of the First Market Bank Building on Virginia Street.

Archived