Richmond CenterStage

burt

It is to my knowledge that the rest of the block will support future development; hence why the blank wall? Currently what land is not developed, will be converted into a City park in the mean time.

I don't know of many stage houses that have windows. It definitely will be a blank wall unless they plan to decorate it in some way.

A "shimmer" wall, while eye-catching, might be too garish in the long run. There are ways of projecting subtle images on walls. A stunning example of that was done as a short term exhibit within the cavernous Grand Central Station about a year ago.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is my understanding that the stage house grid will be capable of accommodating 99 line sets.

Line sets are battens from which lights and scenery can be raised and lowered from the grid.

I'm curious as to what arrangements are being made for the new Richmond Symphony shell. It has to be collapsed and stored -- sometimes very quickly.

Weekly photographic updates are provided through the architect's office. The person who posts them is on vacation and will return next week.

Meanwhile, source has posted one of his excellent pictures at RCW of the scaffolding being removed to reveal a portion of the Grace Street facade of The Carpenter Theatre.

Stay tuned.

I just spent some time reviewing all of the construction updates and it is remarkable to follow weekly progress on Richmond CenterStage.

There is no dispute that the project is my own personal pet and I am responsible for at least 100 of the posts. BUT, it is very gratifying to note that there have been 6,035 viewings of the RCS Construction Update site since October 2006. Since Urban Planet covers the entire World, that figure translates to interested locals as well as lurkers from around the globe.

Conclusion: I'm not the only one who is cognizant of the project's impact downtown and on the performing arts in Metro Richmond.

Check about mid-week for the latest update.

Construction goes apace at Richmond CenterStage. Meanwhile, estimates have been compiled for improvements at The Landmark Theatre on Laurel Street at Monroe Park. The 5-year plan has an estimated cost of $3,550,000 and is expected to get underway in 2009 with completion of several necessary phases in 2010.

New loading bays will speed up installation of major road shows that heretofore have skipped Richmond. Interior house improvements include repainting of areas that have been damaged by humidity problems caused by a spring underneath the building. New stage act curtain and legs will be hung, flying mechanisms improved and new lighting and sound systems installed. There is a perception that The Landmark lacks sufficient bath rooms, so to counter the perception, new bath rooms are to be added on the balcony levels.

It is my understanding that three million dollars of Mayor Wilder's City of the Future plan which provided $25M for Richmond CenterStage will go toward the Landmark project.

Isn't the Byrd also built overtop a spring?

I think you're right, coupe. See today's Mash Up (I've posted it in Off-topic) for a great video about the alleys in The Bottom and about the organ at the Byrd. Didn't you take a backstage tour there?

I think you're right, coupe. See today's Mash Up (I've posted it in Off-topic) for a great video about the alleys in The Bottom and about the organ at the Byrd. Didn't you take a backstage tour there?

I wonder if those old hotel rooms will ever be remodeled at the Landmark. For those who have never seen them, there are a number of little hospitality rooms located over the front entrance. The last time I saw them, they were all still paited institutional green and the paint and plaster was falling down and peeling.

The dressing rooms could use an overhaul as well. Anyone who has ever had the difficult duty of setting up the dressing rooms at the Landmark would probably agree that some kind of elevator access to the 4 floors of dressing room on either side of the stage would be a Godsend. Talk about getting your aerobic workout. Make about 20 trips up and down each set of stairs on either side of the stage and you are dogged-out by the end of the night.

I wonder if those old hotel rooms will ever be remodeled at the Landmark. For those who have never seen them, there are a number of little hospitality rooms located over the front entrance. The last time I saw them, they were all still paited institutional green and the paint and plaster was falling down and peeling.

The dressing rooms could use an overhaul as well. Anyone who has ever had the difficult duty of setting up the dressing rooms at the Landmark would probably agree that some kind of elevator access to the 4 floors of dressing room on either side of the stage would be a Godsend. Talk about getting your aerobic workout. Make about 20 trips up and down each set of stairs on either side of the stage and you are dogged-out by the end of the night.

D_C, do you know that there is (or was) a target range in the basement of The Landmark as well as a swimming pool?

A new freight elevator is going to be installed, but I'm not sure of its exact location; I think it will be backstage, but not for use by actors and dressers to access the tiers of dressing rooms.

And have you ever been up in the minarets on the roof?

Look how the stage house is rising at the new Carpenter Theatre. Note the traps cut into the stage which will allow scenic paraphenalia as well as actors to rise from space below. Further forward in front of the stage apron, a hydraulic lift will raise the orchestra pit to floor level which can be fitted with additional seating when not needed for musicians.

These are photos from September 2nd:

http://www.richmondcenterstage.com

Click "What's New."

D_C, do you know that there is (or was) a target range in the basement of The Landmark as well as a swimming pool?

A new freight elevator is going to be installed, but I'm not sure of its exact location; I think it will be backstage, but not for use by actors and dressers to access the tiers of dressing rooms.

And have you ever been up in the minarets on the roof?

Burt, sorry it took me so long to respond. Work has been a bugger lately. I do remember my dad (who was a city of Richmond surveyor for 35 years) telling me about the pool and firing range in the basement of the Mosque. When I had a catering business, I used to cater the backstage crew and artist dressing rooms in the late 90's at several venues in Richmond, Norfolk, D.C. and Baltimore and would wander around the venues during slow periods. I never got to check out the minarets. As for the firing range, I believe the police trainees used to use it but now they have a range in the basement of the training academy building at VUU. I remember seeing the pool as a child when my dad took me on a tour of the Mosque and I tried to find it on one of my nature walks in 1997, but couldn't remember how to get there. The remodeling that was done in the late 80's or early 90's might have done away with the pool and the firing range was converted to another ballroom I do believe.

The video of the renovated Carpenter Theatre shows the interior as white-ish in color. I hope this is not true and that it will be restored in its original tan-ish mode.

The video is not of the greatest quality..

The interior paint of the theater is going to be historically restored to it's original state.

Check out the new September 30th Construction Update:

Click "What's New."

Those finials atop the Carpenter Theatre are a lot bigger than they appear from the ground.

The picture of the stage house is looking up from the basement all the way to what will be the grid. The tops of the trap columns rising from below are where the actual stage floor will be.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the October 14th construction update.

Note that steel work has just about been completed on the stage house. It looks as if it is about as high as the 7th level of The Residences at Miller and Rhoads across the street.

Brick work is beginning on the north wall of the old Thalhimer Building (Dorothy Pauley Square) which faces Broad Street. I believe there will be a few windows along the top level.

It's likely most exterior work on the complex will be completed shortly after the new year.

Click "What's New."

Archived