Apple

gs3

I've questioned myself about posting this all day, but no confidentiality agreements are being broken, so.....

Apple is opening in Greenville. Fact. I held documents in my own two hands this past week while in a meeting.

It will be the first SC store as currently planned. (Charleston could always scoop in ahead, as Apple stores can come online very quickly). At the moment however, Greenville is the only planned store. Late 2008 (slightly over a year away). Can't reveal the location, but I'm sure some of you out there know...... :ph34r:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering I've heard 2 locations, I'm not sure which to believe.

The first and most likely one.... Magnolia Park

The second.... Haywood mall

All of the Apple's i know of are in malls, but I'm sure Magnolia Park could support the store. The question I have, would it be a stand alone building????

Considering I've heard 2 locations, I'm not sure which to believe.

The first and most likely one.... Magnolia Park

The second.... Haywood mall

All of the Apple's i know of are in malls, but I'm Magnolia Park could support the store. The question I have, would it be a stand alone building????

I think their is quite a few in downtown urban type locations. Of course the largest one that comes to mind is the "cube" in New York but I do think their is a few more like that. I would LOVE to see the old Woolworth's location be used for that. It's a long shot but stranger things have happened. From the stats I have heard about Apple sales in this area I'm not surprised Greenville would be getting a location.

Fanfreakintastic. This is very exciting news. I had heard the rumors, but I'm glad to see that its coming true.

My thoughts:

It won't be a freestanding store in a market like Greenville. Apple tends to locate in malls. If I were a betting man, my money would be on Haywood Mall. But I think a Magnolia location isn't out of the question either. A downtown location would be a major coup for Greenville. Apple Stores are destinations on their own. If they located on Main St then that would solidify the shaky retail market as of late and probably spur a lot of additional retail downtown.

The Apple store in Lenox is the only one that I have been to that is actually inside a mall. The Birmingham and Memphis (Germantown) stores are both in upscale outdoor strip malls similar to the shops of Greenridge. The others that I have been into are in urban areas; New York, Chicago, and Dallas (uptown).

I am certainly hoping for a downtown location here.

The Apple store in Lenox is the only one that I have been to that is actually inside a mall. The Birmingham and Memphis (Germantown) stores are both in upscale outdoor strip malls similar to the shops of Greenridge. The others that I have been into are in urban areas; New York, Chicago, and Dallas (uptown).

I am certainly hoping for a downtown location here.

Apple is at SouthPark in Charlotte. They usually go for unique urban shopping districts, but I wouldn't put it past them to put it in Haywood, since it probably captures a large percentage of Greenville residents dollars relative to other places around town. Don't get me wrong though, I'd much rather see a downtown location for Gville.

• 1 month later...

Here's the info from the above site:

Haywood Mall - Greenville, SC - A super-regional mall of 1.2 million square feet operated by Simon Property Group along I-385. The mall has 150 shops and draws from a six-county region. In late Feb. 2007 tipsters said Apple is in lease negotiations with the mall for an unknown space. It would be the first Apple store in the state.

King Street in Charleston is rumored to be getting a store.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Apple has dropped their negotiations with Simon for Haywood Mall, due mainly to the lack of a space that could layout for them. The mall has very few vacancies in the size range that Apple looks for, and the vacancies that they do have can not layout because of dimensions, interior columns, etc...

That's not to say that Simon couldn't come back with another space in the future and they change their mind. For now, their focus has turned to another site in Greenville

Hate to burst your bubble, but Apple has dropped their negotiations with Simon for Haywood Mall, due mainly to the lack of a space that could layout for them. The mall has very few vacancies in the size range that Apple looks for, and the vacancies that they do have can not layout because of dimensions, interior columns, etc...

That's not to say that Simon couldn't come back with another space in the future and they change their mind. For now, their focus has turned to another site in Greenville

So basically, we win regardless. Thanks, DealMan. :)

It will be nice to have the state's first Apple store, especially since we do not have the tourist numbers seen along the coast. Thankfully our growing economy, prosperity, and larger population base help us out in these matters. :thumbsup:

So basically, we win regardless. Thanks, DealMan. :)

It will be nice to have the state's first Apple store, especially since we do not have the tourist numbers seen along the coast. Thankfully our growing economy, prosperity, and larger population base help us out in these matters. :thumbsup:

I still wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see it at the old Greenville Mall location although I think it would look pretty sweet at the old Woolworth location on Main Street.

I still wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see it at the old Greenville Mall location although I think it would look pretty sweet at the old Woolworth location on Main Street.

It would be a HUGE boon for downtown to snag an Apple store. It would probably take some incentives from the city to pull that off, wouldn't it?

I will keep my fingers crossed, but would put my money on Magnolia Park Town Center as their future location.

When I first heard this rumor I went to Haywood Mall and scoped possible sites, but there really didn't seem to be any space available. I'd rather see a store at Magnolia Park anyway.

It would be a HUGE boon for downtown to snag an Apple store. It would probably take some incentives from the city to pull that off, wouldn't it?

I will keep my fingers crossed, but would put my money on Magnolia Park Town Center as their future location.

IMHO, there is absolutely no chance Apple would locate downtown. We don't even have a bookstore.

IMHO, there is absolutely no chance Apple would locate downtown. We don't even have a bookstore.

No, the book store is definitely needed, I agree.

IMHO, those two things together (a book store such as Borders and the Apple Store) would be a boon to downtown if they were to happen there. The city is hopefully focusing on landing some destination-type retailers such as these, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Jacob sent me this.

Finding no appropriate space at its original choice of the Haywood Mall in Greenville (SC), Apple has now selected the Magnolia Park Town Center for its first retail store in the state. Menin Development Companies Inc. purchased the property earlier this year after the former mall had been demolished on the site along I-85 southeast of downtown.

Source Link

QUOTE"Finding no appropriate space at its original choice of the Haywood Mall in Greenville (SC), Apple has now selected the Magnolia Park Town Center for its first retail store in the state. Menin Development Companies Inc. purchased the property earlier this year after the former mall had been demolished on the site along I-85 southeast of downtown."

sweet. I like this idea 100x better than having a store at the Haywood Mall.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived