Apple

gs3

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretzel Time is going where Glamour Shots was. The sign is already up. There is no way Apple would go in a space that small. Rumor is that Abercrombie's lease will not be renewed next year and Apple is going in it's space.

I wonder what Abercrombie's plans are? I can't imagine them abandoning the Greenville market altogether.

Not sure, heard it wasn't up to the whether or not they could stay in the mall. I don't know if they could find anywhere else in Greenville since the choices for locations are slim to none. Also one of the managers said that their sales have dropped 65% over the last year so I don't know if the company would put any money into keeping them here. As much as I have come to dislike them and what they stand for I hate for Greenville to lose such a big name retailer.

I know somebody that works at Abercrombie at Haywood Mall. They have no plans to leave at this time according to that person. If they did leave, they could go to the Shops at Greenridge or even downtown. Funny how you heard Apple was going into the space Abercrombie currently occupies seeing how I heard they were going to locate where the Childrens Place is currently located. The Childrens Place is going to relocate elsewhere in the mall. At least that's the rumor I heard.

Apple originally wanted the Children's Place space but it wasn't large enough. That's when they made the decision to move to Magnolia Park and we all know how that turned out. That's when they began talks with the Abercrombie space.

Oh...interesting. I doubt they'll leave the entire Greenville market though even if they do leave Haywood Mall. I would think they would close stores in places like Columbus, GA and Augusta, GA before Greenville seeing how those are smaller markets. This was posted by ct36 on a different thread in August:

Haywood had a lot of people there for Tax Free Weekend today. Abercrombie & Fitch was packed, too. Thats good since they are not making that much money. I saw a lot of Abercrombie & Fitch & American Eagle bags. I wish that American Eagle was not as packed because I don't like it because I shop mostly at Abercrombie & Fitch, and because it is not upscale. Sears was empty, though. It looked like Pottery Barn, Macy's, Belk, Pac Sun, Finish Line, Dillard's, and Abercrombie & Fitch were all packed.

I wonder what Abercrombie's plans are? I can't imagine them abandoning the Greenville market altogether.

Abercrombie is doing poorly as a chain. They have closed and will be closing several stores in solid, middle to upscale malls. Don't be shocked if they go.

I've never been an A&F shopper, nor have I been impressed with them. However, if they choose to stay in the market and are being forced out of the mall, I hope they decide to locate downtown. While, it's probably a slim chance, I imagine such a move would be a huge deal for downtown.

Obviously i can't get everything I want, but I'd be so much happier seeing a Gap go downtown. I'll never shop at Abercrombie because I refuse to be a walking advertisement for them. Same goes for Hollister. Seems like all of their clothes have the name in huge letters on them. Stinks that Abercrombie could be gone though because it's a huge hit with some people. Although with a 65% loss in sales...maybe not so much anymore.

I know they have really built their Hollister brand, which seems almost the same to me although I believe Hollister is supposed to target a slightly younger demographic than Abercrombie & Fitch. I "outgrew" Abercrombie years ago, but I assumed they were still popular with the high school and college crowd. Maybe their run is over? :dontknow:

If they do relocate in Greenville, I agree that Greenridge or downtown would be great. Downtown would be especially nice, although I don't know if we have the traffic for that. Does Abercrombie ever locate in dense urban/pedestrian friendly areas or do they tend to stick to malls?

I know they have really built their Hollister brand, which seems almost the same to me although I believe Hollister is supposed to target a slightly younger demographic than Abercrombie & Fitch. I "outgrew" Abercrombie years ago, but I assumed they were still popular with the high school and college crowd. Maybe their run is over? :dontknow:

If they do relocate in Greenville, I agree that Greenridge or downtown would be great. Downtown would be especially nice, although I don't know if we have the traffic for that. Does Abercrombie ever locate in dense urban/pedestrian friendly areas or do they tend to stick to malls?

I personally think that downtown is better served WITHOUT big chain stores like Abercrombie and the Gap. Greenville's downtown is nice because it is unique - local restaurants and local/regional stores (like Mast). The worst thing that could happen would be to turn it into Generica, USA. Why would anybody come here to go to the same store that is in every shopping mall in the country? Let's get some more local merchants to open up clothing stores, maybe even attract some independent designers. Small businesses keep money local; the corporate chains siphon it out, contributing only low paying service jobs to the economy. We need more independent/small businesses that distinguish Greenville from other cities.

Malls. They are still doing pretty good, just not as good before. A&F is at King Street because Charlestons malls suck and it sounds better for them.

Apple originally wanted the Children's Place space but it wasn't large enough. That's when they made the decision to move to Magnolia Park and we all know how that turned out. That's when they began talks with the Abercrombie space.

No. Why would Apple open in a ~8000 square foot space? Especially if the one at SouthPark is only 4000. That would absolutely make no since to do that. Especially in a market with no Apple stores. That is about the dumbest business decision I have heard.

I am sure that they arent doing that bad.

gsupstate- Not that many.

I personally think that downtown is better served WITHOUT big chain stores like Abercrombie and the Gap. Greenville's downtown is nice because it is unique - local restaurants and local/regional stores (like Mast). The worst thing that could happen would be to turn it into Generica, USA. Why would anybody come here to go to the same store that is in every shopping mall in the country? Let's get some more local merchants to open up clothing stores, maybe even attract some independent designers. Small businesses keep money local; the corporate chains siphon it out, contributing only low paying service jobs to the economy. We need more independent/small businesses that distinguish Greenville from other cities.

-Local and national retailers co-exist at the Shops at Greenridge and McBee Station. Why not downtown on Main Street? :dontknow: I do agree though that local businesses are nice and do keep more money in the area than national ones. Personally, I want to see national retailers downtown that currently don't compete with anybody downtown like a CVS and Borders.

-If the Abercrombie store is 8,000 square feet, I highly doubt you'll see Apple go there. The largest Apple store around here is the Greensboro one which is a little over 6,000 square feet I believe.

-Local and national retailers co-exist at the Shops at Greenridge and McBee Station. Why not downtown on Main Street? :dontknow: I do agree though that local businesses are nice and do keep more money in the area than national ones.

-If the Abercrombie store is 8,000 square feet, I highly doubt you'll see Apple go there. The largest Apple store around here is the Greensboro one which is a little over 6,000 square feet I believe.

Thats about the size. Its about 7,600-8,000 square feet. Somewhere in there.

I agree that local retailers make a place unique, but for me it's not places like Mast General Store or O.P. Taylor's that make downtown Greenville great. Those sorts of places make me say, "Oh cool, a local retailer that's doing well. Great!" I never go downtown to shop at those places, and I bet most people in my demographic don't either.

Rather, what makes downtown great is that it is ACTIVE. It's a fun and exciting place. People are outside walking. The architecture is cool and varied. It's clean. It's urban. There's a cool waterfall and suspension bridge right in the middle. There are great local restaurants, performing arts venues, museums, galleries, etc. A few national retailers won't mess with that, because retail is not what makes downtown so appealing. At least not for most people. Rather, some national retailers like Gap, J. Crew, Ann Taylor, American Apparel, etc. would likely add to the varied offerings downtown. That's a good thing in my book.

Abercrombie is doing poorly as a chain. They have closed and will be closing several stores in solid, middle to upscale malls. Don't be shocked if they go.

Not quite. Mostly in larger markets. Metros with 10 A&Fs will probably have 7. In Charlotte, Since Northlake isint doing good, their A&F might go. I think there is no way they would close in upscale malls such as Lenox or SouthPark because the ones in upscale malls tend to do better.

• 2 weeks later...

There were people taking notes and measuring the front of the childrens place store thursday morning, also had blueprints...and it wasn't anyone who worked for childrens place...hope they know their moving! They were being walked around by mall personnel. Mall person said it was something BIG for the mall...couldnt tell me who, but we all know!

There were people taking notes and measuring the front of the childrens place store thursday morning, also had blueprints...and it wasn't anyone who worked for childrens place...hope they know their moving! They were being walked around by mall personnel. Mall person said it was something BIG for the mall...couldnt tell me who, but we all know!

Great to hear. :) I wouldn't be surpised if Childrens Place goes to where Borders is currently located.

Archived