Apple

gs3

Well that would be huge for downtown if true. But before we get too excited over an internet rumor, can someone please tell me where 505 S. Main St. is? I know that it is near Falls Park, and is on the same side of the road as the new Spill the Beans. I wondered if it could be in the RBC Building (the same building as Spill the Beans), but when I do a map search 505 S. Main St. shows up as an empty space along the Main Street bridge that crosses the Reedy River - which is obviously an impossible location. :dontknow:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that would be huge for downtown if true. But before we get too excited over an internet rumor, can someone please tell me where 505 S. Main St. is? I know that it is near Falls Park, and is on the same side of the road as the new Spill the Beans. I wondered if it could be in the RBC Building (the same building as Spill the Beans), but when I do a map search 505 S. Main St. shows up as an empty space along the Main Street bridge that crosses the Reedy River - which is obviously an impossible location. :dontknow:

They're going to have a portable location along the sidewalk over the bridge. :lol: It's the RBC/Spill the Beans building I believe but it's filled at ground level currently so a tenant would have to move out if this rumor is true which I doubt it is.

The old mill doesn't seem modern enough, or capable of being modern enough without destroying the building's look for an Apple store. I know Charleston's fits in fairly well, but it's an entire front facade, where as that building would be half or less of the street level floor plate...

What say you Citylife? You seem to have a lot of knowledge of permits and such going before the city.

I haven't heard anything about Apple coming downtown. I'm pretty sure they're still going to Magnolia Park. I can't confirm nor deny that though.

The old mill doesn't seem modern enough, or capable of being modern enough without destroying the building's look for an Apple store. I know Charleston's fits in fairly well, but it's an entire front facade, where as that building would be half or less of the street level floor plate...

For what its worth, I went to Charleston's Apple Store this weekend, and it doesn't fit in at all. I would love to know how they were able to pull that off given Charleston's stellar record of historic preservation.

Also, when I was working in Greenville about two years ago I heard from a credible source that the city was actively courting Apple to come downtown. Obviously the Magnolia location came to the top, but you never know what Apple was thinking about.

Not suprising. It would be awesome if they were to go downtown, but we all know they're going to Magnolia Park instead.

Provided that Magnolia Park Town Center stays on a reasonable timeline for construction and opening. The longer this development takes to materialize, the more we will see "committed" tenants looking at other options. The advantage to Apple or anyone else going downtown instead is that they are not forced to wait on an entire development to be built. Apple could purchase a site and begin making renovations within a month or two. They could be in their new store much faster.

I trust the people on here who maintain that Apple is still scheduled to be at Magnolia Park, but I could definitely see a scenario where they get tired of waiting on a large development to come online.

Provided that Magnolia Park Town Center stays on a reasonable timeline for construction and opening. The longer this development takes to materialize, the more we will see "committed" tenants looking at other options. The advantage to Apple or anyone else going downtown instead is that they are not forced to wait on an entire development to be built. Apple could purchase a site and begin making renovations within a month or two. They could be in their new store much faster.

I trust the people on here who maintain that Apple is still scheduled to be at Magnolia Park, but I could definitely see a scenario where they get tired of waiting on a large development to come online.

What other options? They're not going to go downtown and there's no room at Haywood Mall. Every other development like Crescent Place is on hold. The demographics downtown aren't there to support retailers and restaurants like The Cheesecake Factory along with Apple. Ask any retail consultant if you don't believe me. That's why TIC Properties wasn't able to land Border's or Barnes & Noble for Washington Square. Oh and Magnolia Park starts construction within the next four months. Not sure why everybody thinks that development is on hold when it's not.

A friend of mine went to iPlace on Pelham Rd. today. He was told they were preparing to move to their new location, which is the same place planned for several months, at Riverplace. So there will be an Apple retail seller in the West End.

What other options? They're not going to go downtown and there's no room at Haywood Mall. Every other development like Crescent Place is on hold. The demographics downtown aren't there to support retailers and restaurants like The Cheesecake Factory along with Apple. Ask any retail consultant if you don't believe me. That's why TIC Properties wasn't able to land Border's or Barnes & Noble for Washington Square. Oh and Magnolia Park starts construction within the next four months. Not sure why everybody thinks that development is on hold when it's not.

The "other options" in this case would be a downtown or West End location. I disagree that we don't have the pedestrian traffic or demographics to support an Apple store in the core. We have a lot of pedestrian traffic, especially on the weekend. Plus, Apple is a draw on its own so it would have no problem drawing consumers whether it's in a big retail center or in an urban environment.

Magnolia Park has been delayed at least once, if not twice. Forgive me for wondering when it will actually materialize.

The "other options" in this case would be a downtown or West End location. I disagree that we don't have the pedestrian traffic or demographics to support an Apple store in the core. We have a lot of pedestrian traffic, especially on the weekend. Plus, Apple is a draw on its own so it would have no problem drawing consumers whether it's in a big retail center or in an urban environment.

Magnolia Park has been delayed at least once, if not twice. Forgive me for wondering when it will actually materialize.

If what you say is true then why haven't more national retailers come downtown? Magnolia Park was mainly delayed due to the site being purchased by a new developer. Menin had to get new tenants while keeping the old ones along with redoing the entire site plan. That takes months if not years to do. It also takes a long time to get the high-end tenants they are seeking. It will get built. It's not a matter of if but when.

I don't see any problem with questioning things or speculating. And, Magnolia Park does seem to be taking its time. Maybe someone who is "in" with Magnolia Park's information can let us in on how, if any at all, the development plans to embrace mass transit?

I'm hearing a bus station is going to be worked into the development to coincide with GTA's current route along Woodruff Road. I can't confirm nor deny that though. It's not taking its time. Easley Town Center took three years to start construction after it was announced. It's really only been a year and a half since Magnolia Park was announced thanks to Menin taking it over. It's basically a whole new development now than when Gulfside had it. You have new tenants, new site plan, new everything. Trust me guys. This development is moving forward unlike a lot of others in the area. Now that could change as things could and do happen, but as of now everything is a go. :)

I realize that a new developer took over and that takes time, especially with the architectural side of things. We've been hearing about this development for more than a year and a half as a development, though not as one with Menin. I do know that once Menin took over all plans stopped and only recently (like spring/summer 2008) started back up (in terms of drawings and planning, maybe not landing tenants).

When you say construction is to start within 4 months, does that statement need to be qualified with a "but only the Rooms to Go Tennant?" If so, I would lump this into the same Category as Costco and in no way think that it means that the development we all consider to be Magnolia Park to be back on track.

When you say construction is to start within 4 months, does that statement need to be qualified with a "but only the Rooms to Go Tennant?" If so, I would lump this into the same Category as Costco and in no way think that it means that the development we all consider to be Magnolia Park to be back on track.

Rooms to Go and other retail next to Woodruff Road. Phase 1 is 100% pre-leased. That section opens fall 2009. Rest of center is scheduled to open spring 2010.

Great just when I moved my office out of downtown! :) So where exactly is it? I haven't been able to figure it out, seen signage, etc.

If you turn into that street that runs through RiverPlace, it's right there on the right, where High Cotton has their valet service. :)

iPlace is now open in RiverPlace. I stopped by during a bike ride. The place is very nice, and has all the latest Apple hardware (unlike Best Buy). :yahoo:

So it has computers and ipods and iphones on display and for sale? Because I remember going to it when it was at Publix at Thornblade and there was not a single piece of hardware to be seen just boxes of software and guys sitting at desks wanting to know what I was doing there.

Archived