The F-Word

UptownNewOrleans

Down with "female"

A friend from Miami e-mailed me this article and it had me crying from laughing so hard. Real talk, I don't see how any woman could be offended by a term used to describe their sex. The writer, and women like her need to check themselves if they are offended by being called a female. Depending on the context, a woman has grounds for being offended by the term "female" but in general, it's not that serious.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any word can be used in a demeaning fashion even though technically it does not mean as such. I think the use of female to describe a woman has the same kind of negative connotations as the use of the word homosexual (ever notice that religious demagogues almost always use this term) to describe gays and lesbians. It's not the word but the intent behind the word and I find that when people resort to this kind of terminology there is almost always negative.

I'm not particularly interested in changing people's language by force, but I've also noticed that "female" has taken on something of a sexist overtone. This is particularly true -- as the article points out -- in hip-hop culture where the word "female" is used to create distance between two parties ... as in, "I'm not looking for drama with females right now". It's not nearly as bad as about half a dozen other common words describing women, but it's moving in that direction.

If you get rid of one word another will come along. As long as we have men who aren't taught respect for woman it will continue. I'm amazed every time I see a rap video with some girl shaking her rump, half dressed and going down simulating what amounts to a sexual act. It does nothing but demean woman as nothing but sex objects. Just imagine if that was your sister or niece.

If you get rid of one word another will come along. As long as we have men who aren't taught respect for woman it will continue. I'm amazed every time I see a rap video with some girl shaking her rump, half dressed and going down simulating what amounts to a sexual act. It does nothing but demean woman as nothing but sex objects. Just imagine if that was your sister or niece.

I understand your point about the actual performers. That doesn't take away the fact that kids watch it and record companies and MTV let it happen. I shouldn't just pick on rap, rock bands have been doing it since the early 80's but rappers took it to a whole new level. Until you get someone like Al Sharpton to go after these people with the same force as he went after Imus, I don't see it changing. Womans groups have also been too silent for way to long.

It's not really the performers, but rather the corporations behind the performers that put up the money for this crap. They in fact are making profits off the worst aspects of our society and in fact promoting these things to make even more money. It's shameful if you ask me and another example of corporate greed gone amonk.

It's not really the performers, but rather the corporations behind the performers that put up the money for this crap. They in fact are making profits off the worst aspects of our society and in fact promoting these things to make even more money. It's shameful if you ask me and another example of corporate greed gone amonk.

I had a friend who was a hard-core feminist. She refused to use the term gender to differentiate between males and females, and refused to even hear the term female to describe a woman. But it was of no offense if males were described in the same manner. She also held the belief that women were like African-Americans, in that she said that women were "held at a disadvantage" in jobs and in society, and that many women are viewed as just "sex machines."

Of course, I couldn't even get a kiss out of her without her overreacting that somehow I was going to impregnate her. One of her biggest fears was becoming pregnant.

Do men take any responsibility for their actions? Is it too much to expect a man to not ask a woman to engage in such behavior? Why should we have to protect ourselves from you? Can you not demean us? Really, try supporting us instead of shifting the blame to us. Try understanding that there are (still) only so many ways for a woman to get ahead or that some women come from environments (and an overall culture) that bases their worth on the ability to be sexy.

I know it wasn't your intention at all, but this sounds very similar to the "She was asking for it" rape defense.

Archived