Sumter Developments

sumter

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Growing up in Sumter, I never thought of it being in the midlands. I thought of Columbia, Irmo, Lexington, Lugoff, and others as being such. Obviously there's no set definition of "midlands". Some people include Sumter, some people don't. You can definitely make arguments for both. I'm not aware of any organizations or businesses based in Sumter that use the term "midlands" - that is something you find in Columbia.

I will say that radio and television stations like to call us the midlands, because we don't have a major network affiliate in Sumter, Columbia's radio stations typically reach the city of Sumter, and of course these outlets have a fiduciary interest in capturing the Sumter market as part of the midlands.

I'm not claiming the following are authoritative, I'm just doing a google search:

-The "SC Business Development Club of the Midlands" doesn't include Sumter.

-The State newspaper doesn't consider Sumter a part of the midlands. In the context of sports, at least, none of Sumter's schools are included in the "Midlands Roundup", "Midlands Preview", etc., yet the Orangeburg and Calhoun schools are.

-The "MIMS Hub" (Midlands Improving Math and Science) doesn't include Sumter - only Richland/Lexington.

-The United Way of the Midlands serves 6 Counties: Richland, Lexington, Fairfield, Orangeburg, Newberry, and Calhoun.. but not Sumter

-The "Central Midlands Council of Governments" does not include Sumter, only Fairfield, Lexington, Newberry, and Richland

-The Central Midlands Regional Transit Authority does not include Sumter

-Midlands Technical College does not serve Sumter

-USC's "Midlands Writing Project" does not include Sumter

-The "Window Coverings Association of America" has a midlands chapter, which doesn't include Sumter .... :lol:

.. ok.. I know most of these are obscure, I'm just saying that it's debatable whether Sumter is the midlands or not. You could do a similar search involving "Pee Dee" or "Santee Cooper", and you'll find that Sumter tends to bounce in and out of different regional organizations. Personally, I think of us as the Pee Dee, and not the midlands. My perception is that most Sumterites think of Sumter as in the Pee Dee, since the Black River runs through Sumter County.

shedhome.gif

As you can see, this map from SCDHEC shows that the city of Sumter, and most of Sumter County is in the Pee Dee watershed. Maybe when I cross over the Wateree River, going west towards Columbia, I'll say I'm in "The Midlands" :P

All good points. But York and Chester counties are 'technically' a part of the Upstate even though most media and economic organizations exclude them in the Upstate. (Charlotte stations do address them as the Upstate though). I guess Sumter is one of those unique places that is on the border. I'll support whatever the local consensus is! :)

It's just not a heavily traveled road. The people who travel north from Charleston, Beaufort, Savannah, Georgia, etc., are going to get off I-95 in Manning or Summerton, and take a totally different route into town.

At that place you're talking about, the 378/I-95 interchange, really only handles traffic that comes into Sumter from Myrtle Beach, or from eastern North Carolina and farther. That road is always empty. However, it is true that they could develop it a little more. You think they would put something there besides two gas stations.

A lack of Sewer is probably the reason the intersection hasn't developed. I don;t know that for a fact, but i would strongly suspect it.

All good points. But York and Chester counties are 'technically' a part of the Upstate even though most media and economic organizations exclude them in the Upstate. (Charlotte stations do address them as the Upstate though). I guess Sumter is one of those unique places that is on the border. I'll support whatever the local consensus is! :)

Even the Rock Hill Herald will sometimes label Rock Hill as "Upstate." For the most part, we're just considered "central Carolina Piedmont."

SumteR, is consider as part of the CENTRAL SC ALLIANCE DEVELOPMENT.THE COUNTIES THAT MAKE UP THIS PARTICULAR AREA ARE RICHLAND,FAIRFIELD,KERSHAW,SUMTER,LEE,LEXINGTON,AND CALHOUN.THE PRIMARY CITIES FOR THIS REGION ARE COLUMBIA AND SUMTER.

Great news for Sumter,SC. Home Depot is coming to the northeast corner of Mason Road and Broad Street; and Patriot Centre, a mixed- used retail and residential development proposed for the corner of Patriot Parkway and Loring Mill road.

HOME DEPOT is going to be constructed on a 51.5 acre site on Mason Road, but I, don't know the exact acres on the patriot center project. Thompson Construction is almost finished on a $10 MILLION PROJECT DOWNTOWN SUMTER.This building is going to be their new HQ.The building is about three stories with a restaurant on the top floor.This project supposed to bring about 60 new jobs in the downtown area.The new Jim Clyburn Intermodal Center downtown is going to look real nice.

Sumter is starting to really develop.I decided to take a different route from work. U.S. highway 521 that extends from Sumter to I-95 toward Manning,S.C. was widened to a 5 lane.The other portion of 521 that extends from Sumter to I-20 toward Camden is about to be widened to 5 lane as well,but that portion is in preliminary study; including there is a rumor about turning U.S. highway 15 NORTH AND South into 5 lanes.Also Sumter's second super Wal-mart is soon be constructed on this highway;including some some other Big boxes.

bilde.jpg

A six-story edifice could rise above downtown Sumter if a developer's plans for the multiple-use building get the OK from city leaders, who'll most likely be asked to consider economic inducements to make the complex a reality.

Developer reveals building plans

Thats a NICE building. I hope this gets approved. If you come across any better renderings, please share them. Its exciting to see that Sumter is getting developments like this one. How will this fit in with the surrounding environment?

Sumter is starting to really develop.I decided to take a different route from work. U.S. highway 521 that extends from Sumter to I-95 toward Manning,S.C. was widened to a 5 lane.The other portion of 521 that extends from Sumter to I-20 toward Camden is about to be widened to 5 lane as well,but that portion is in preliminary study; including there is a rumor about turning U.S. highway 15 NORTH AND South into 5 lanes.Also Sumter's second super Wal-mart is soon be constructed on this highway;including some some other Big boxes.

Great! US 15 South towards Clarendon Couny is in desperate need of widening as people already treat it like an interstate. However, I'm just not that happy about Walmart opening on US 15. It seems that the county isn't planning properly for growth in the area. I'm just expecting another generic Walmart with the bland strip plaza next to it (although most cities the size of Sumter do not enforce strict design regulations on big box stores).

If it were up to me, Sumter would look to Rockhill as an example for proper city planning.

I'm an ex-Sumterite - although you would think I still live there considering how often I go down to visit my family - and I have to say I am amazed everytime I get there to see some sort of new development. Having family living there since before time (we won't get into the whole "if it was before time how did they keep track" debate), and having visited over the past 20+ years, I can honestly say I'm glad to see the growth.

I live in the Upstate and I'm jealous of Sumter's parks that have recently been built. I would love if our area had even a fraction of the type of parks that Sumter offers. Kudos!!

Well the super Wal-mart isn't the only thing that is coming to hwy 15 south, but also there is a Burger King, Bojangles, and a strip mall is coming as well, also there is a resdential development is being plan on the old golf course.The cost of the houses are going to be around $300,000 on up. I heard Target is following behind the second super wal-mart.Since Shaw AFB is not closing there is going to be a lot of commercial and residential development.I think the city is still working with the deal with the Biopure Plant that is suppose to come here as well.The city is going growing south and west very fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Country INN & SUITES Hotel is being constructed next to IHOP, but I do not know how many stories it is going to be, but rumors stated it is going to look nice.

The space next to IHOP doesn't look like enough room for a hotel. I heard that the space was reserved for a Sticky Fingers restaurant.

Heres a link to all of the new developments in and around Sumter.

Sumter City Council gave final approval final approval to an ordinance that would allow a multi- use planned development at the corner of Patriot Parkway and Loring Mill Road.The ''Patriot Centre'' would feature residential areas as well as commercial areas within the same development. Also gave final approval to expand the Palmetto Tennis Court in Palmetto Park. This is a nice state of the art tennis court.We have college competition here every year that.

Archived