Sumter Developments

sumter

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not about a race.It's about a having more options.Since I've been on here.It seems as if everyone is more focus on Columbia,Charleston,Greenville,Spartanburg,Myrtle Beach and Florence.These are not the only cities that is growing or expanding.Sumter, and quiet a few other cities is grwowing as well.It's just the conversation is more about Greenville,Columbia,Charleston,Anderson,Myrtle Beach, and Florence.Instead this should be about all the cities that contribute to the South Carolina Economy.

Thats where people like you come into the picture. We don't have enough Sumter discussions, so we need people from that area to contribute to the forum. The more you talk about it, the more potential you have for more discussions. Nobody is trying to keep Sumter down, its just an area that people don't know much about.

Well the construction crew is now clearing the land on the golf course so the 300 home site and the 22 acre commercial site can be started. Also across the street there is an another retail development is taking place.The city council is trying to stop all of the development from going on Broad street toward Shaw AFB and focus on U.S. 15 South there is a lot of commercial land out there that can be developed.The city council is trying to keep the majority of the population from going to Florence and Columbia to shop.If Sumter gets another mall like super Wal-mart it will surpass Florence.

I hope all of this potential development on Hwy 15 will allow for it to be widened to four lanes all the way to the Clarendon county line.

^15 is Lafayette, right? Isn't Lafayette four lanes? Its been so long since I went that far down that I don't remember where the four lanes end. I know they go to Main.

Yes, Hwy 15 becomes Lafayette when traveling north. What I was speaking of is further south towards Clarendon County. HWY 15 turns into two lanes right after the Lakewood Links subdvision which is about 5 miles from the Clarendon County line.

I've notice Sumter has been doing poor planning lately when it comes to roads. They waited until after the Walmart Supercenter on Broad was built to begin proposals on increasing Alice Drive to four lanes. My bet is that they'll do the same with Lewis roads and Hwy 15 once the next Wal-Mart is built.

Also, speaking of the Hwy 15 area, I heard that a Ruby Tuesday will be coming to the area along with the new supercenter. Does anyone else know about this?

Yes, Hwy 15 becomes Lafayette when traveling north. What I was speaking of is further south towards Clarendon County. HWY 15 turns into two lanes right after the Lakewood Links subdvision which is about 5 miles from the Clarendon County line.

I've notice Sumter has been doing poor planning lately when it comes to roads. They waited until after the Walmart Supercenter on Broad was built to begin proposals on increasing Alice Drive to four lanes. My bet is that they'll do the same with Lewis roads and Hwy 15 once the next Wal-Mart is built.

Also, speaking of the Hwy 15 area, I heard that a Ruby Tuesday will be coming to the area along with the new supercenter. Does anyone else know about this?

I did not hear about Ruby Tuesday coming to hwy 15 yet,but I do know Target is suppose to be making their annoucement pretty soon.

I did not hear about Ruby Tuesday coming to hwy 15 yet,but I do know Target is suppose to be making their annoucement pretty soon.

Weird. I remember seeing an article in The Item stating that Sumter was not in Target's plans until at least 2011. Also, If I remember correctly, the article also stated that Target thought Sumter's per capita income was too low for their store :o.

It was a pretty good read. My wife grew up in Sumter and we're over there from time to time visiting her mother. I love walking Main from Tuomey down to the bridge. There is a brugstore downthere with a diner in it (can't remember the name) that makes a killer bacon egg and cheese sandwich.

I think the Christmas pageant will be pretty cool. Might even have to go to see how much of Main they blanket with the snow machine.

^

I think the drug store you're referring to is Cut Rate Drugs. They also make killer Grilled cheese sandwiches. My mom says that the diner counter and stools they have in there today are more than likely the same ones from the 60's when she was younger. IMO, the whole store does have a nostalgic feel to it, which I like.

Believe it or not, ok I will confess, I lived in Sumter when I was a child.....but I dont like talking about it because I dont really care for it that much. But anyways, I've noticed over the years how many new restaurants have opened on Broad St. in Sumter, since I still have relatives there and visit them....but their mall never changes! It's the same stores since over 10 years ago, except for a Victoria's Secret, and Bath & Body Works and maybe like 1 or 2 other stores that have opened. Sumter needs more retail, or otherwise people are just going to shop from out of town. The Demographics aren't good enough I guess....

I just found out that the city does not want grow towards Shaw Air Force Base. They are focusing on growing south and east toward I-95.If Sumter grows on hwy 15 south Clarendon County will soon be part of Sumter MSA with the small towns of Paxville,and Summerton inside of Sumter's city limits.The city councils are really focusing on I-95 runs through the small portion of Sumter Co. There is a lot of land out there that can be developed on 378 toward the interstate.The city and county is working on providing sewer and water lines out there.This is going to put Sumter in a better position to grow.

I just found out that the city does not want grow towards Shaw Air Force Base. They are focusing on growing south and east toward I-95.If Sumter grows on hwy 15 south Clarendon County will soon be part of Sumter MSA with the small towns of Paxville,and Summerton inside of Sumter's city limits.The city councils are really focusing on I-95 runs through the small portion of Sumter Co. There is a lot of land out there that can be developed on 378 toward the interstate.The city and county is working on providing sewer and water lines out there.This is going to put Sumter in a better position to grow.

I'm not sure if Summerton or Paxville will ever be within Sumter's city limits. Metro, maybe. Those towns are not even close to where Sumter's current city limits are. Plus Sumter would have to annex all of 15-SOUTH, south of the city before that happens. The city center would also need to grow a lot more than it currently is.

I hope you're right about plans for Sumter to grow towards 95. Our city should've thought of developing along the I-95 corridor years ago.

There is a second Applebees that is coming to Broad Street.Yeah you are right about Sumter should have development I 95 a long time ago.I found out that they are working along with the City of Manning ,Santee Cooper,Clarendon Co. Sumter Co. with a major water lines that runs from Sumter to the Santee River and also extending water lines all the way down I 95 . They just made an agreement with a new Mega site Industrial Park that is going to be developed in both counties.

• 4 weeks later...

T.J.Maxx had their grand opening on yesterday. Broad Street is is really booming with a lot of commercial and retail businesses locating out there.The Country Inn and Suites Hotel is in progress ; including Starbucks Coffee,Petco and Home Depot is about to start construction soon.

• 2 months later...

T.J.Maxx had their grand opening on yesterday. Broad Street is is really booming with a lot of commercial and retail businesses locating out there.The Country Inn and Suites Hotel is in progress ; including Starbucks Coffee,Petco and Home Depot is about to start construction soon.

Sumter is starting to look good in 2008 with a lot of commmercial development and thanks to Shaw AFB not closing.Shaw is about to expand about 46 acres and there is lot of development taking place out there as well.

Archived