The Grove

Gauge

I know this has been talked about in a few other threads, but this development looks big enough to warrant its own thread:

"The Planning Commission approved last night The Grove, a high-density traditional neighborhood development near the Picardy Avenue extension. The development will go before the Metro Council next month for final approval.

Developer Richard Carmouche is hoping to tie the development directly into the Picardy extension. City-parish officials support his plans to get access to the interchange, and the state Department of Transportation and Development favors the idea in theory. The next step is for engineers from the city-parish and DOTD to work out a plan for one or more access points, which they would present to the Federal Highway Administration, a DOTD spokesman says.

Plans are to have 800 condo units, two hotels, 225,000 square feet of retail (mainly service businesses targeting residents), 300,000 square feet of office space and 50,000 square feet of restaurants. For a look at renderings of the development and where it is in relation to the Mall of Louisiana"

Artist rendering

I wanted to post the above linked picture directly into my post but I don't know how. If someone else knows how, please do.

Thanks for posting this Gauge :thumbsup: You beat me to it, just too much going on.

This is going to be huge 115-acres, larger than I would have thought! :shades: The Advocate this morning quoted architect Rex Cabaniss;" we think it's going to be one of the premier developments".

*Rave movie theatre-reference point (red circle)

thegrovegv7.jpg

The "Smart Growth/New Urbanism" is really taking off in the capital region! That's good to see, there is really no choice now.

The shopping and devlopment on bluebonnet is obsessive.

Its starting to really sink in to me, that this is area is getting TOOOOOOO much devleopment in comparison to the other parts of the city.

i mean they could give far east, and mid city some of this...

So, "The Grove" is actually a separate development from "Willow Grove." I didn't realize that.

According to the Business Report, although the TND is on the same tract as Willow Grove, it won't connect to the TND. This is a "high density" TND, whereas Willow Grove is a regular density TND? Wow.

Kind of crazy how BOTH of these developments have so much in between them; Ward's Creek & Dawson Creek; and R.R. tracks too. + Willow Grove dedicated( to Kleinpeter family) greenspace on that end along the tracks near The Grove.

Since Willow Grove will have new connections to Wimbeldon Estates; which will have a new connection to Perkins/Picardy at Perkins Rowe...is the probably what helps makes all of this work. Otherwise it would make no since not to connect the two.

Edited by richyb83

^ Hey cajun, it's hard to see...but there is another entrance....look at the map in the top,right-hand corner at the little fork in the road. The "left" would be for getting in-to; the "right" would be to get out of. :thumbsup:

>>I think that's what they are talking about to DOTD about being able to get "more access" to the interchange. This was what the 1st post today said from Gauge.

The next step is for engineers from the city-parish and DOTD to work out a plan for "one or more access points", which they would present to the Federal Highway Administration, a DOTD spokesman says.

Edited by richyb83

I love this development, especially on that piece of land. It's prime real estate right there. Not to mention filling in the sprawl. I am a bit concerned with the entrances/exits. I do think it should connect with Picardy but I aso think it needs to connect some kind of way to Perkins, whether it's via Willow Grove or Wimbledon, or both actually. Again it goes back to making some kind of grid pattern, multiple connections are a good thing. Really wish they could connect this to Siegen, which would be awesome. Still say we need roads that parallel the RR tracks from Acadian or College out to Siegen. But in the same aspect I'm in complete favor of getting rid of those tracks all together or using them for some kind of mass transit purposes. But that's for another msg. board. LOL

I know this has been talked about in a few other threads, but this development looks big enough to warrant its own thread:

"The Planning Commission approved last night The Grove, a high-density traditional neighborhood development near the Picardy Avenue extension. The development will go before the Metro Council next month for final approval.

Developer Richard Carmouche is hoping to tie the development directly into the Picardy extension. City-parish officials support his plans to get access to the interchange, and the state Department of Transportation and Development favors the idea in theory. The next step is for engineers from the city-parish and DOTD to work out a plan for one or more access points, which they would present to the Federal Highway Administration, a DOTD spokesman says.

Plans are to have 800 condo units, two hotels, 225,000 square feet of retail (mainly service businesses targeting residents), 300,000 square feet of office space and 50,000 square feet of restaurants. For a look at renderings of the development and where it is in relation to the Mall of Louisiana"

Artist rendering

I wanted to post the above linked picture directly into my post but I don't know how. If someone else knows how, please do.

Good post.........i cant wait on these projects...and im waitin to see the peoples faces who said baton rouge would never make of anything.....this is a real good look for the city

The Grove is trying to get access to the new I-10 frontage road that runs between Bluebonnet and Seigen:

"At least three major property owners along Interstate 10 are hoping for some traffic adjustments between Siegen Lane and Bluebonnet Boulevard that will help their businesses..."

"...Carmouche of Carmouche Construction Co. is developing The Grove, which he describes as a high-density TND. While not getting the access point won

Connectivity is key....... I love the thought of connecting to the service roads but I am a bit concerned at the same time. I don't think the service roads were designed correctly to allow access points on them. For me with the way they are designed they are an extension of the interstate system. What makes me feel that way is the fact that there are entrances and exits on them. A service road is supposed to be a road that parallels the interstate and only connects to 2 major surface roads. I'm quite curious of how they will achieve this and not cause a big cluster f**k on the service road.

• 7 months later...

When are they going to add turnarounds to Siegen and Bluebonnet? We should be bringing this up to city planners constantly, and we need to bring it up to these loop developers because you know some areas will have one way feeder roads.

You should be able to loop around and head back the other direction on the feeder roads under the Siegen and Bluebonnet overpasses without having to swing a left turn at those traffic lights....that's the only thing that the Picardy deal is missing, and it will need it with all the development up there.

It doesn't cost that much...it's just one lane over grade and a yield sign and some stripes. There is room under both overpasses, and it will help with traffic a a bit as more of these feeder roads get developed. The drainage sources are already in place for these roads because Bluebonnet and Siegen are already there.

Every texas freeway with a feeder road has these loop arounds at almost every intersection. It's cheap and it works well. This way, The Grove and Blue cross can get onto the feeder road and head either direction they want....though they will only be able to turn right.

They can also add another entrance to the mall at the Best Buy area.

Edited by cajun

When are they going to add turnarounds to Siegen and Bluebonnet? We should be bringing this up to city planners constantly, and we need to bring it up to these loop developers because you know some areas will have one way feeder roads.

You should be able to loop around and head back the other direction on the feeder roads under the Siegen and Bluebonnet overpasses without having to swing a left turn at those traffic lights....that's the only thing that the Picardy deal is missing, and it will need it with all the development up there.

It doesn't cost that much...it's just one lane over grade and a yield sign and some stripes. There is room under both overpasses, and it will help with traffic a a bit as more of these feeder roads get developed. The drainage sources are already in place for these roads because Bluebonnet and Siegen are already there.

Every texas freeway with a feeder road has these loop arounds at almost every intersection. It's cheap and it works well. This way, The Grove and Blue cross can get onto the feeder road and head either direction they want....though they will only be able to turn right.

They can also add another entrance to the mall at the Best Buy area.

!!! great point.... traffic would flow so much better

If I have a question I go to the Advocate website; click on Advocate at the top; then "Ask the Advocate". They usually answer questions within a month in the Metro section of the newspaper:thumbsup:

Thanks, Richy. :) My question has been sent.

Edited by dan326

• 2 months later...

^I still never got that reply from the Advocate. I should send them a very angry letter. :angry::lol:

From Deveopbits Thread

dan326:

"I've got exciting news. I passed by The Grove site the other day and I saw two very good things. One was that there were vehicles that were continuing to level the land. And number two, the creek that runs through the development was a little higher than before and was moving. Seeing as it hadn't rained recently when I saw it, it could only mean water was being pumped into creek! ! I've said it before and I'll say it again, of all the projects, I want this one to get done the most. "

richyb83:

"Good deal; thanks Dan for that news I thought you would a revved up the Grove thread again?? I'll have to check it out. The Grove sure is one HUGE development; esp. when you add the new Power Center now going up+ Rave Cinema+ The Boulevard that's hooked onto the Mall of La. They spared "no" trees at The Grove.

I still think my propsal of a waterway with water taxi would be cool connecting The Grove with Perkins Rowe. That would compliment the BREC bike trails too. "

Edited by dan326

I hope the stuff sandwiched between the freeway and that bayou is mostly office space. The retail will be fine right there by the movie theater.

If it is office space, the connector on Mint Ave won't be burdened with too much traffic.

I'd really like to see the Picardy/Perkins connector pulled forward now. That would really help traffic in that area. If not, then they need to connect The Grove with Willow Grove

Edited by cajun

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Richy! :D I had thought they forgot about me as I sent this 3 months. I guess they were swamped with questions. It's funny that they put my question up toady. I usually check Ask The Advocate every morning in my class were we use computers, but as yesterday was my last day, I might not have rememeber to do it for a while. :)

Dan, was this your question?? Looks good ! Something this massive is going to take some time with all the infrastructure work to be done.

Q: I have seen that the land behind the Mall of Louisiana has been cleared for the massive

Edited by dan326

• 5 months later...

Wow, I had no idea LSU's medical campus had plans at The Grove; can't be totally suprised because I really thought/think it was going in the large open land off I-10 near Essen. Wonder what's in store for The Grove now??

LSU pullback leads to Grove shuffle

While things are moving steadily in Willow Grove, Carmouche is looking at shuffling tenants in The Grove, a high-density mixed use project scheduled for Mall of Louisiana Boulevard and Interstate 10. LSU had planned to take up about 40 acres of the development for its medical campus but backed out of plans. "That's forcing us to reconsider what we do out there," Carmouche says.

I hope the stuff sandwiched between the freeway and that bayou is mostly office space. The retail will be fine right there by the movie theater.

If it is office space, the connector on Mint Ave won't be burdened with too much traffic.

I'd really like to see the Picardy/Perkins connector pulled forward now. That would really help traffic in that area. If not, then they need to connect The Grove with Willow Grove

The Picardy (Mall of Louisiana Bv) extension to tie into signalized Industriplex @ Seigen could do wonders relieving the awful congestion on Seigen at I-10.