The Grove

Gauge

Yeah I just read about that. When you said flash mob, I hoped it was just some sort of foolish political gesture or some elaborate marriage proposal. I was dissapointed to see that it was an organized act of stupidity made possible by social media (which a good security and police force would monitor). In a way, isn't this a minor act of terrorism....being just a few steps away from a riot?

I'm sure all 200 of those involved were good law abiding citizens who show absolutely no common hatred towards any other group of people. I bet their parents put education first. The mall is, after all, the best place for high school aged students to be on a school night.

Unfortunately the trend of violent flash mobs is definately happenig now in this country. There have been pretty bad ones in other cities.

GGP properties usually take pretty draconian security measures. They need to beef it up apparently at Mall of La. This kind of nonsense will turn paying customers away.

I know it's cliche to say that the younger generation is ruining this country- but I honestly do worry if social media and modern electronic communication could be contributing to some sociopathic behavior in young adults today.

Or it could just be that social media and technology enable efficient communication of these incidents....so they just seem more common.

Edited by cajun

I know it's cliche to say that the younger generation is ruining this country- but I honestly do worry if social media and modern electronic communication could be contributing to some sociopathic behavior in young adults today.

Or it could just be that social media and technology enable efficient communication of these incidents....so they just seem more common.

I tell older people this all the time. The world has always been filled with bad elements, however, modern technology allows us to know about more of these occurrences.

With that said, back on topic please. :whistling:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The High Grove looks nice...two tenants  already lined-up for the commercial component. This would have been a favorable location for some nice mid-rise development...even 4 stories...is there now an unwritten rule every new condo development around BR MUST be only 3-floors?? The proposed Woodlands at Perkins Rowe(334-units) was originally to be 4-stories; but recently modified to 3  & The District(312-units) are just a couple examples....

The High Grove set to begin opening

The first apartments and retailers in The High Grove, a $30 million mixed-use development east of the Mall of Louisiana, are set to begin opening in the next month.

Developers of The High Grove, in conjunction with the Urban Land Institute Louisiana, gave a tour of the project Thursday evening. The 5-acre development will include 192 apartment units and 25,000 square feet of retail and office space.

It’s the first phase of The Grove, which will eventually include 120 acres with everything from a hotel to assisted living facilities.

Chris Papamichael, a principal with The Domain Companies, which is developing High Grove along with Richard Carmouche, said he thinks the project sits on “the best dirt in Baton Rouge.” The High Grove is near Interstate 10 and the Mall of Louisiana. It’s also close to major employment centers such as Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, Baton Rouge General Medical Center and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana.

The Domain Companies, with offices in New Orleans and New York, teamed up with Carmouche because of the quality products he’s done, Papamichael said, such as the Willow Grove traditional neighborhood development off Perkins Road. This is the first project Domain has done in Baton Rouge.

“We see great opportunities in Baton Rouge over the next few years because of the economy,” he said.

*Site will not let me post pics...

*rest of article*

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/6983530-123/the-high-grove-set-to

The High Grove looks nice...two tenants already lined-up for the commercial component. This would have been a favorable location for some nice mid-rise development...even 4 stories...is there now an unwritten rule every new condo development around BR MUST be only 3-floors??

Isn't there a weird elevator rule for more than three stories? That's why they stop at three. I could be wrong though.

Edited by itsjustme3

1) the construction you see around Mint Dr is for drainage project for water runoff that will come from the grove project. It's also old satellite imagery.

2) they aren't going to make a road (Mint Dr) connect to the grove when its a residential neighborhood (and plus it doesn't even directly connect to a major road).

3) Mint Dr won't be extended south because that property is owned by St George.

This would have a prime location for a couple of mid-rise buildings plus a hotel.  I hope they make the development look attractive from I-10.  B.R. really need at least one more tower of 17+ stories downtown or close to the mall area.  I just think they should have went for a more vertical option with this project.