The Grove

Gauge

L@@k!!! :D It's still going to go through.

Grove developer plans series of meetings from the Business Report

Richard Carmouche has scheduled a weeklong series of meetings to help develop plans for The Grove, a high density mixed use project scheduled for Mall of Louisiana Boulevard and Interstate 10. The meetings, scheduled for the week of Aug. 17, will give potential stakeholders, such as hotel, office, restaurant and multi-family housing operators, a chance to have an input on the project. Steve Oubre, the Lafayette landscape architect who has drawn up plans for many TNDs, will take the comments and use them to design The Grove. "At the end of the week, we hope to come up with a plan that

Wanted to post this...but had to leave town too quick...

For The Grove would like to see something unique to the BR area...some "Live/Work" units...offices at street-level with residential lofts above! Have it all tie-in with the BREC trails along Ward's Creek greenway + pedestrain bridge to The Settlement at Willow Grove's park in the back.

A hotel might be nice...but how many more hotels does the area really need with the Renaissance at Bluebonnet; Hilton Garden Inn at Perkins Rowe + 2 more off Siegen/I-10??

Like cajun said...what's the demand for offices?? The proposed 8-story Summa Tower seemed to have trouble finding enogh tenants..then did a major downsize to two-stories...still the lot is empty.

Edited by richyb83

Like cajun said...what's the demand for offices?? The proposed 8-story Summa Tower seemed to have trouble finding enogh tenants..then did a major downsize to two-stories...still the lot is empty.

That's my concern.

I don't think the demand is there for high end zero lot line residential spaces. I hope they are done with big box retail....the only thing that's left would be commercial office space.

And I'm afraid that there's really not much demand there these days either. We won't see those large Houston style office buildings without pre-leasing to a major tenant, and I'd be pleasantly surprised if they can pull that off in this economy.

• 10 months later...

The Planning Commission is scheduled to vote on a final development plan for The Grove, a high-density, mixed-use project near the intersection of the Mall of Louisiana and Interstate 10. Staffers gave initial approval for The Grove nearly three years ago. Developer Richard Carmouche, who did the Willow Grove TND, is proposing a project with housing, office space and a hotel.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

The Planning Commission is scheduled to vote on a final development plan for The Grove, a high-density, mixed-use project near the intersection of the Mall of Louisiana and Interstate 10. Staffers gave initial approval for The Grove nearly three years ago. Developer Richard Carmouche, who did the Willow Grove TND, is proposing a project with housing, office space and a hotel.

http://www.businessr...-report/latest/

So...no retail?

That's awesome.

I didn't catch that, but I have to agree, can that area really fill more retail space, when the Mall and the Rowe aren't even full.

The only thing uglier than a big box store is an empty big box store....

I can't possibly imagine more retail going in that space. I can, however, see hospitality and offices if the demand picks up.

This type development would be nice somewhere closer to the urban-core; Westmoreland in Mid City & River District along the Nicholson....

Wish they could have kept a few trees..they completely cleared that site! They should make use of Ward's Creek as a waterway complete with those BREC bike paths to connect Mall of La/Perkins Rowe(Dawson Creek)..with park benches and adequate lighting...

If these original renderings still apply..it would seem offices would go street-level & 2nd floor; with condo-lofts on floors 3-5; cool live/work units; of course like yall said...What's the demand for office space these days?? The proposed 8-story Summa Tower(nearby) never got off the ground because of lower demand.

thegrovegv7.jpg

Probably all the better not to include retail...does the retail in TNDs ever really succeed? Usually the costs are too high for anything but chains, and yet chains also typically want better streetside visibility. The result are storefronts that are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Also, the scale of retail in TNDs never quite becomes a destination for outsiders, and yet the neighborhood itself isn't big enough to support the retail on its own.

Perhaps it's just a matter of the right design elements, but I'd say it probably is a wise decision to back off the retail. TOO TOO much in that area already--and a whole lot more just down the road on Siegen.

Did anyone else notice that quite a few of the subdivisions near Perkins Rowe/Mall of Louisiana really aren't that economically healthy? I hope I'm not insulting anyone who lives around here, because the housing is attractive and well built, but it does look like the neighborhoods have fallen out of favor. I'm thinking specifically of the area on Perkins just northwest of Perkins Rowe, with subdivisions off of Hyacinth with quite a few bars on windows--and then on the other side (north side I guess?) between Perkins and Anselmo, where at least a few of the homes are clearly vacant and have negligent realtors who have not maintained them. Really unfortunate, but I just thought this was interesting, in light of the fact that two of the premier shopping destinations in BR are still not helping some of the neighborhoods nearby.

This is from the Advocate :

"The commission also approved a final development plan for The Grove, a planned unit development south of Interstate 10 and east of the Mall of Louisiana. That project, a mixed-use development by developer Richard Carmouche of residential, office and retail development and a hotel, had its concept plan approved by the planning commission just under three years ago."

I remember them saying if they did have retail it would be local, service type retail like dry cleaners and stuff like that.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/96856874.html

• 6 months later...

We shall see...

Work set to begin on The Grove in May

A groundbreaking is to be held in May for The Grove, a high-density, mixed-use development at Mall of Louisiana Boulevard and Interstate 10. Developer Richard Carmouche says he has purchase agreements for two sites. One will be taken up by a 200-unit apartment building that will also include 30,000 square feet of retail space on the bottom floor. A hotel will occupy the other site; Carmouche would not disclose the hotel operator. "This is right in the heart of the development," he says. The development will be built around an oak grove, referred to in its name. Work will also begin on a road between the Rave theater and the Mall of Louisiana power center, which will lead to the Grove property. "We're going to redefine and restructure that road, which is more of a parking lot now,"

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, does anyone know what part of May that this might break ground? I hope they go through with this....

Welcome to UP Steve! I'm not sure what part of May it will break ground in, but I'm with you, I hope this goes through too. If it goes like originally planned I thinked this might be one of the most "premier" projects in BR history. :D On a slightly realistic note though, I wouldn't put too, too much faith in that date as a lot of big projects are continuing to be delayed due to the economy.

Edited by dan326

Welcome to UP Steve! I'm not sure what part of May it will break ground in, but I'm with you, I hope this goes through too. If it goes like originally planned I thinked this might be one of the most "premier" projects in BR history. :D On a slightly realistic note though, I wouldn't put too, too much faith in that date as a lot of big projects are continuing to be delayed due to the economy.

Thanks Dan, good to be here. Yeah never know with the economy whats going to happen, but it should be a good project when it does start.

• 5 months later...

Finally some activity...guessing this is Phase One?? Rental units? Any owners? Was hoping to see some 4 & 5-story development...not just the 3-story apt. buildings all over the place

Permits filed for apartment complexes

Permits have been filed for two apartment buildings totaling 192 units, part of developer Richard Carmouche’s The Grove mixed-use development behind the Mall of Louisiana on Bluebonnet Boulevard near Interstate 10.

The High Grove, on five acres behind Dick’s Sporting Goods and the Rave movie theater, would have 55,542 square feet of lease space in one three-story building and 105,754 square feet of lease space in the other three-story building.

The apartments will have 430 parking spaces, according to the documents filed with the city-parish Department of Public Works.

Carmouche could not be reached for comment Friday morning.

Plans approved by the city-parish Planning Commission in 2007 called for 225,000 square feet of retail space, 284,000 square feet of office space and 266,000 square feet of general commercial development.

http://theadvocate.c...-complexes.html

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

Here is the rest of the story

Permits have been filed for two apartment buildings totaling 192 units and ground-floor retail as part of The Grove, developer Richard Carmouche’s mixed-use development behind the Mall of Louisiana off Bluebonnet Boulevard at Interstate 10.

The High Grove, which will be developed by The Domaine Group of New Orleans, would have 55,542 square feet of lease space in one three-story building and 105,754 square feet of lease space in the other three-story building.

The High Grove, which will sit on five acres, will have 430 parking spaces, according to the documents filed with the city-parish Department of Public Works.

Carmouche said Friday that work on roads and other infrastructure should begin in the next 45 days in advance of groundbreaking for The High Grove by the end of the year.

The Grove, which is the entire $400 million development on 120 acres behind Dick’s Sporting Goods and the Rave movie theater at the Mall of Louisiana, will be developed in phases.

The next announcement likely will be for a hotel in 2012, Carmouche said.

A purchase agreement has been signed for a high-end hotel, though Carmouche said he cannot disclose the name because a corporate flag has not yet been selected.

Carmouche said plans approved by the city-parish Planning Commission call for three hotels, 900 residential units — including townhomes and assisted living — seven restaurants, 250,000 square feet of retail development and 400,000 square feet of office space.

He said the retail component would be less than in a typical traditional neighborhood development because of the proximity of the mall.

“We’re going to take advantage of the mall for what they have and give them what they don’t,” he said.

Carmouche said The Grove got its name from 12 live oak trees that will be featured at the center of the development.

He said the development will tie into BREC’s Capital Area Parkways plan for a linear park from Siegen Lane to Bluebonnet Boulevard through the property.

Carmouche said The Grove will be developed over the coming years based on market demand for the office, retail and residential components.