The Fire House

bic

Firehouse.jpg

Here's a view of the plan showing Ember to the left and the firehouse to the right. The lobby (the only part within a historic district) with the curve roof juts out a little bit to match the ember gate. The truck ports are slightly setback, but overall has the feel of a historic district. I recall that the materials are mostly red brick... There are some DRC renderings out there.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate that damned set back top floor!!!

Pull that sucker back out to the front & give us a damned full 5 story front wall!!!

It's bad enough they shrunk the thing down from the 12 or 13 story building they led us to believe we were getting, but now even at a piddly five stories they're trying to minimize the appearance of height by setting the 5th floor back so you don't notice it as much.

What the hell is with the mentality of this rinky dink burg anyway?????

It's like we're afraid of height around here.

• 1 month later...

This thing has walls, columns, and more forms for columns throughout the entire site. They look like they are about 2 weeks from completing the first floor. I'm completely guessing, but it is moving along nicely. I hadn't been on that block in a couple months and just noticed the crane the other day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually, I think it DID have something to do with the economy.

I'm pretty sure the downtown condo market, along with the housing market in general, was just beginning to go soft right about the time the Firehouse was in the design/financing stage.

I'm also fairly certain, that had the downtown condo market still been hot, we'd have a 10 or 12 story building going up there right now.

Of course, I could be wrong.

First time for everything.... :rolleyes::D

It was the costs of the land lease, as well as the timing. They could not move that fast. The firehouse had to start in time becuase they were contractually obligated to move by a certain date from their current facilities. They also did not have any parking. Only a lease at a nearby garage. Also the requirements from the City that is also used like MBE and contractor regulations.

Archived