The Fire House

bic

• 2 months later...

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm nobody's champion. I'm here to learn about my city. I doubt my posts are read much less figure into the decision making process of the assorted muckity-mucks. I have used the info I have learned here to go and meet with a couple of muckity-mucks if I felt it was important enough to me. I dislike boondoggles, private or government, and I do not believe in the infallible wisdom of the marketplace. I hold VHS winning over Beta as example. As well as popular music, rap, news sources... etc.

I'm nobody's champion. I'm here to learn about my city. I doubt my posts are read much less figure into the decision making process of the assorted muckity-mucks. I have used the info I have learned here to go and meet with a couple of muckity-mucks if I felt it was important enough to me. I dislike boondoggles, private or government, and I do not believe in the infallible wisdom of the marketplace. I hold VHS winning over Beta as example. As well as popular music, rap, news sources... etc.

no.

Firehouse should start after demo is complete, unless I'm missing something.

GAI (thanks Jaybee) I heard is starting in October-ish. great visibility from 408.

Montage will break ground when they figure stuff out with that Davey Jones Locker issue thing they have with the water dealio;

800 N. should start at the end on 2008, beginning of 2009- I heard, or sooner.

I would imagine they'll be scrapped & recycled like most steel & other construction materials from demolished buildings.

I always liked the look of that terminal, even with the pink paint although I preferred the original yellow.

But the facility gave downtown a modern look that was sorely needed at the time.

• 1 month later...

Hey Jaybee, Do you possibly have higher resolution renderings of Fire Station 1? I cant wait for it to be built. The LEED design details are amazing. I originally was opposed to the current Station 1 being torn down due to its character and history but i have since warmed up to the new plan. Thanks, Marc.

Not designed to be expanded in the future - lack of interest after an RFP if I recall. Firemick, I'll look around the office tomorrow and see if I can find a detailed electronic rendering. I've got one somewhere... the last full set was part of a Historic Preservation Board package, where the architecture was generally finalized; but that was some months back.

Thanks Jaybee, whatever you can do would be great. The new fire stations 1, 7, 15, 16, & 17 are all going to be LEED certified i believe. With Firehouse 1 having the most intricate of details including roof top vegetation and a water collection point on roof which would be used for toilet water flushing. I do miss Orlando alot now that i moved up here to ATL almost 2 years ago. ATL is alright but from an UP standpoint it was easier to keep track of developments in ORL. But since the economy took a nose dive there has 'nt been much development up here either. But i fervently believe what is taking place in the economy right now is a good thing or should i say necessary! This is a major market correction and i believe that alot of things will change in the banking, mortgage and credit industry. I dont want to talk politics but i just wanted to state to everyone to just hang in there and we will bounce back and survive this! Marc.

Firehouse.jpg

Here's a view of the plan showing Ember to the left and the firehouse to the right. The lobby (the only part within a historic district) with the curve roof juts out a little bit to match the ember gate. The truck ports are slightly setback, but overall has the feel of a historic district. I recall that the materials are mostly red brick... There are some DRC renderings out there.

Archived