Triangle Food Scene

There's a thread for Triangle Music Scene, but nothing so far that covers the restraurant & foodie scene for the entire metro, so I figured I'd give it a go.

Saw this great article in the N&O today: http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/648550.html

A great review of all the new restaurants that have opened in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill & Carrboro over the past few years, and how it's changing the local dining scene. Some interviews with their unique chefs, as well.

I've heard of all these restaurants, but seeing them all mentioned in the same article is really mind-blowing in a way. Makes me realize how many I've yet to try! :shok:

Excellent thread.

As far as the local (to me) dining scene goes, the restaurant I'm most excited about opening on the horizon is Dos Taquitos' Wilmington St. location (just south of the Morgan St. crossing). The sheetrock and HVAC stuff is slowly going up. The owner told me that he was shooting for a late summer opening, and that it would cater to the lunch crowd and be open for dinner Thursday-Saturday. I can't wait! I'm going to gain 20 lbs from takeout alone :wub:

Thanks for the thread...I liked the bit where Hatem speaks of filling up Hargett w/ more eateries. The Triangle is a truly great place for innovative food. Probably one of the very best attributes of the area in my opinion. It appears the national media is starting to really take notice. Now, if we can just get some decent transit we'll be cooking w/ gas!

Two quotes I liked from the article were:

These restaurants price most of their entrees at less than $20, and rarely approach the dizzying-for-the-Triangle $30 per course.... They want to create casual, neighborhood eateries.

"Nice enough for a special occasion but priced so you can come every night of the week," explains 18 Seaboard's chef-owner Jason Smith of Raleigh.

Adds Rue Cler's Chris Stinnett, "People doing simple foods at a reasonable price. It's really easy to do as long as you use great ingredients and take your time."

Hopefully this trend will continue into other types of food. They mention J. Betski's, Riveara (already open a year! where does the time go?) Jujube, Piedmont, Rue Cler, Lantern, and Watts Grocrey, among others. It is weird that Ms. Christansen wasn't mentioned, but that may be due to her being quiet since the falling out with Empire?

And

Hatem says he is in discussions to bring potentially four other restaurants to the Hargett Street corridor alone.

Hargett is the target indeed! From rumors on here, the four could include Waraji in the old est est est space at Hargett/Salisbury, maybe something from the Nemonade folks at Hargett/Wilmington, leaving two other spaces. Maybe something small in the old Cuba (and Soupernatural before that) space? And/or the Heilig/Levine and Raleigh Funiture buildings on Hargett between Wilmington and Blount. It looked like they were doing work in the storefront closest to Wilmington, but I was driving so couldn't get too good of a look.

Have there been many restaurants open in the last six months or so? I know South replaced Restaurante Savanah in North Hills, but can't think of anything else off the top of my head. There have not been too many *closings*, so that's a good sign!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well in case anyone else there likes them, I've found a place serving the biggest, best chocolate mousse dessert in the Triangle. Piedmont in downtown Durham (Foster St).

Food was pretty good....Italian & French mixed with a focus on local produce. Not bad...swordfish was tasty overall. Not the best place I've ever been but good enough that it's on my radar now.

But for dessert...a chocolate mousse with hazelnut biscotti. I swear this had to have been the largest one I ever had...just slightly smaller than a canteloupe! :) Very rich and yummy too. This place gets my thumbs up for that alone! LOL ;)

Anyone have any word on "Cameron's" which is opening in Cameron Village?

I saw this tidbit from the N&O recently.

* The Cameron Bar and Grill will open in the former Figs space in December. It is owned by the folks who own the North Ridge Pub and Cafe Tiramisu.

I'm glad there will be an alternative to the Village Draft House. Plus it's a shorter walk for me :alc: .

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Greek festival today and now I'm having cravings for gyros. I have two options: wait a year for another festival, or find a Greek restaurant. Really I'm looking for gyros. Does anyone know of a good place in the Glenwood/Downtown/Cameron Village area that makes gyros? Some place that isn't that expensive but a good quick-stop-lunch destination?

I've actually been sitting her scouring the internet for a good recipe to make my own. I'm in withdrawal. :lol:

I'll second the idea of Middle Eastern kinds of delis. Greek and Middle Eastern foods are closely related. I know of some really good gyros when you get up to Cary -- I've had them twice this week. La Shish is at Reedy Creek and Maynard Rd., and the Bosphoros deli on Harrison Ave right downtown are both very good. NeoMonde (across the tracks from Meredith College) doesn't have gyros but the kebabs are extremely good.

Neomonde(behind waffle house on hillsborough) is pretty close, and also American Pita grill (Fayetteville Street!) might make what you're craving...both have Gyros but they taste a little different. Not where you were asking but a place on 9th street in Durham makes the best ones imo. (forgot the name)

There's Nur Deli at Mission Valley near NCSU. Pretty good. There's also Niro's Gyros downtown... never been there though.

^^ditto...forgot about Niros...its more authentic than American Pita Grill but can take forever to get your food if in a hurry

It has been a while since I've been there, and I don't think they have Gyros, but for other Greek food needs, Taverna Agora on Glenwood was good for "sit down dinner" Greek dishes.

For fast(er) food options, there is also Greek Fiesta, in Crossroads' food area near Cold Stone ice cream and in the Outlet Mall in Morrisville. Their kebob plates aren't great but better than most of the other options there.