Triangle Food Scene

Four full years at NCSU...and 8 years living in the vicinity afterwards...and I still have never ate at Gumby's.

Guess I'm just a Lily's/Moonlight/CapitalCreations snob. ;)

I also lived nearby (Daisy St) and gave in a time or too after a night of drinking at the vomit(Comet). But I have to second the Lilys/Moonlight/Capital Creations trilogy......the three best in town by far imo.

I also lived nearby (Daisy St) and gave in a time or too after a night of drinking at the vomit(Comet). But I have to second the Lilys/Moonlight/Capital Creations trilogy......the three best in town by far imo.

What NCSU alum doesn't fondly remember drunk dialing in a Gumby's Destroyer (two large pizzas, one topping each for like 11 bucks) after a fine night of drinking at the Vomit (which was very appropriately named)? Ah, memories.... :thumbsup:

As a side note, has anyone tried pie from that new join on Oberlin near the intersection with Fairview called Zowie Howie's or something like that? It's in one of those new storefronts they constructed a year or two ago, just around the corner from EVOO. Any reviews are much appreciated.

Thai - Hand Down, the best place is Thai House behind the new Aldi at Eastgate shopping center at the corner of Wake Forest and Hardimont. Great lunch specials, great owner, great food. I also like Taste of Thai as I like the owers but I like the food at Thai House better.

Middle Eastern - grocery store on Hillsbourgh St right past Waffle house. The best roasted nuts and almonds around. Does not really serve food but the nuts are great.

Vietnam - Starmount Shopping Center is the Little Vietnam area. There is a place Pho Cali...I think. Pho means noodle bowl with beef base. Good noodle bowl and mostly asians there. Good local asian greocery store and great little cafe there. Reminds me of when I was in Hanoi. Decent Vietnam place in RTP at the little shopping center with the brand new SHEETZ on the corner of Alexander and Miami. (i think). You see alot of those RTPers in there who travel to Asia in there getting their Asian fix.

Also, the old Harris Teeter off Capital to the right as you are leaving town and about 2-3 stoplights past the beltline. Vietnam grocery and a little food court. Small shops. Reminds of something you would see in Asia but not sure how they make a living here.

Mexican - Los Cuates - At North market square next to Kanki and a drive-thru on Capital. near Carolina Baby (I think) Real Mexican and the owners are really nice.

More Mexican Just drive down Capital and stop at any place and try it out. Many of the older strip centers have been taken over by the local start ups. There is a gas station (I think a BP) on Capital and there is a restaurant in the back. You buy your drink at the front check out and then go to the back and order. Noone speaks english and no menu in English but you can point to the food. They have tables to eat at. Good Salvadorian place on Capital near the IHOP/U-Haul place

Indian - On Hillsbourgh St toward Cary. More of a grocery store and very large. Would never know from street. Someone near Aeroglide. There is a little restaurant there but can't say it is good but can get a samosa to go. Also a decent Indian place in North Ridge Shopping Center next to the new North Raleigh Amedios. Other etnic places along that Hillsbough St as you enter Cary.

Japan - I like a place on Alexander about a half mile off of Hwy 70. In a brand new shopping center with a CVS on the corner. Tokyo Express is the name. Sure it feeds the Briar Creekers. No that it is authenic but fast, simple, clean and pretty good food for the money.

Chinese Have not been there in a while but I think it is China Express. What sounds like the average strip center fast food place is nothing like that. Nothing fancy but great noodle bowls and good americanize plates. When my Chinese speaking clients and co-workers come to town, that is where they want to eat lunch. It is the closest thing they say to real Chinese food here. They have some special dishes that they order but no matter where you are from, you wil find something you like. On Hwy 54 right after the railroad track about a mile past the old EPA building going west. IN Durham but considered RTP.

African-Thai I forget the name but a little restaurant in the buildings beside the Bahama Breeze off of Wake Forest just outside the beltline. A misture of both and is really good but rich. Very exotic taste and very different. Look for the green canopy right behind the Denny's.

Subway, good suggestions. I have a couple more to add:

Fiesta Grill - 5mi west of Carrboro Plaza on Hwy54. Hands down the best Mexican food I've had in this state. The place is a hole in the wall in the middle of nowhere, but is incredible.

For Gyros, I have to say that Hector's in Crabtree is far and away the best I've had. I've tried tons of places around here and many places serve a very greasy gyro and use WAY WAY WAY too much garlic in things like hummus. Hector's Crabtree's Gyros, Tabouli, Grape leaves, Hummus, and chicken marinade are all actually outstanding. It doesn't hurt that they repeatedly score >98 with the sanitation grade, too.

Thai - Hand Down, the best place is Thai House behind the new Aldi at Eastgate shopping center at the corner of Wake Forest and Hardimont.

Amen...I love that place.

Chinese Have not been there in a while but I think it is China Express. What sounds like the average strip center fast food place is nothing like that. Nothing fancy but great noodle bowls and good americanize plates. When my Chinese speaking clients and co-workers come to town, that is where they want to eat lunch. It is the closest thing they say to real Chinese food here.

Really? I'll have to try that sometime.

My Asian (Chinese and other) friends point me towards Red Palace on New Bern Ave. (Although I actually first read about it here on urbanplanet.) They're crazy about that place...and if you're not Asian, you have to ask for the "real Chinese" menu, because they assume it'll be too authentic for most people. :lol:

Pulcinella's is a good little storefront Italian restaurant, but don't think they make their own pasta....it is in the shopping center where Old Wake Forest and Falls of the Neuse split, next to the Wild Birds Unlimited.

Didn't know about the Raleigh Pulcinella's. I think it's a family place; there's one in Durham (Woodcroft) and in Graham (1 block N of the Alamance courthouse), and they are both quite successful; the one in Graham is (mostly) outstanding Sicilian at great prices. Pizza wasn't anything special, but the entrees I tried were out of sight.

• 2 weeks later...

DanRNC--good to hear. I definitely want to check that place out. Looks fun.

RaleighRob--I saw that this morning about Nana's Chophouse and thought the same thing. I am pumped, however, about this BBQ place. It looks different and will be a nice addition to DT Raleigh. Should be a fun place for food and drink late in to the night. I particularly like how they're going to add lunch service after they get up and running. Raleigh needs that. I guess I thought it was going to go somewhere in the Hargett vicinity, though. Wasn't that the idea originally?

Saw this: http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/763157.html

Nana's Chophouse in downtown Raleigh is closing for a BBQ place?? WTF? I thought Nana's was doing well there?? Am I wrong?

Yes, last couple of times I have driven by it was empty right during prime meal time. Think about it, when was the last time anyone on this board ate there?

Yes, last couple of times I have driven by it was empty right during prime meal time. Think about it, when was the last time anyone on this board ate there?

A long time for me but that's mostly due to their prices than the quality of the food/service. If I made a six-figure salary I'd probably eat there much more regularly! :fun: (Of course, I could say the same for Fins, Bistro 607 and a plethora of other places.)

There were rumors about The Pit being on Hargett because it was a Hatem project and he owns a lot of property there and it was "a couple of blocks from the new convention center". It will be another good "local flavor" space for downtown!

I never ate at Nana's, as I rarely have that much $ to burn on one dinner. I though thought it would be a cool place to go drinking, but it didn't stay open late. The new configuration should fit well. Nana's seemed a bit out of place in the warehouse district... it seemed better situated in the ground floor of a tower, like Fins, or on F street somewhere.

Not opening for lunch keeps it out of competition vs. Cooper's in the short term. It can't be worse than BBQ & Ribs was on St. Mary's.

I never got a chance to go to Nana's Chophouse. Friends of mine gave me mixed reviews of the place. I also agree that the location wasn't the ideal one.

News of them closing made me realize though, which upscale restaurants in Raleigh are actually thriving? Number one would have to be Angus Barn, a Raleigh institution. Others would be Sullivan's, Vivace and possibly 18 Seaboard or maybe Frazier's.

I consider myself to be somewhat of a foodie, and just wonder if any of my upscale favorites here in Raleigh will suddenly close as well (like Fins, Vin, Jibarra) :dontknow: .

This isn't the last upscale place you are going to see revamping itself or closing itself in downtown, and here's why--the recent lobbying reforms enacted by the General Assembly have, in general, put the kibosh on lobbyists taking legislators to expensive restaurants. So any restaurant that has been dependent on "expense account" diners will suffer accordingly, particularly those in proximity to the Legislative Building. On the other hand, places good enough or reasonably enough priced to attract diners who will be spending their OWN money will be better poised to survive...Sullivans isn't going to make it on the birthday party/anniversary trade alone...

This isn't the last upscale place you are going to see revamping itself or closing itself in downtown, and here's why--the recent lobbying reforms enacted by the General Assembly have, in general, put the kibosh on lobbyists taking legislators to expensive restaurants. So any restaurant that has been dependent on "expense account" diners will suffer accordingly, particularly those in proximity to the Legislative Building. On the other hand, places good enough or reasonably enough priced to attract diners who will be spending their OWN money will be better poised to survive...Sullivans isn't going to make it on the birthday party/anniversary trade alone...

Interesting post. I never knew lobbying/legislators had that a big of an impact on upscale dining downtown. I mean, the *really* high-end places like Cardinal Club and Capital City Club or Second Empire...sure...but other places like Sullivans, Fins and Nana's...it just didn't occur to me. But it makes a lot of sense, seeing as there's only so many CEO-types around.

But yeah, downtown Raleigh probably needs less of those and more "nice upper-mid-scale" places. Humble Pie, Irregardless, Sushi Blues and Bogarts get a lot of business...so there's definitely still plenty of room for more places in that range. And of course slightly cheaper casual places like the Rockford are busy too.

If anyone's interested, Greg Cox at the N&O posted a list of restaurants open on Thanksgiving Day: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/epicurean/in...p;tb=1&pb=1

You'd probably wanna make a reservation at most of these, I'm betting.

(However if you're like me, you're more interested in finding a place the day after...I ain't cooking two days in a row! ^_^ )

• 3 weeks later...