Triangle Food Scene

• 1 month later...

I've long thought that downtown Raleigh needed more quick food options and also more healthy options.  Well, maybe this announcement will lead to both of those coming in the form of a single restaraunt...  Chop't.

http://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/chopt-receives-investment-morehead-capital?utm_source=jolt&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20130118&microsite=585

Raleigh-based investment firm Morehead Capital has invested in the salad chain with the sounds of expansion in the near future.  When I lived in DC, Chop't was one of my favorite quick & healthy places to grab lunch/dinner.  Maybe a good spot would be at the base of the 227 Fayetteville St building scheduled for some major renovations.

http://choptsalad.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I recently uncovered a TBJ article from Dec 2012 which shows the top 10 grocery chains in the Triangle

Here are the top 5 for fiscal year 2011:

1. Wal-Mart: 23% of market, 24 stores in area, 1.06 billion sales in market

2. Food Lion: 19% of market, 85 stores in area, 888 million sales in market

3. Harris Teeter: 16% of market, 35 stores in area, 728 million sales in market

4. Kroger: 9% of market, 16 stores in area, 421 million sales in market

5. Lowes Foods: 6% of market, 21 stores in area, 250 million sales in market

for the complete list:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2012/12/04/triangles-top-grocery-stores-by.html

I'm personally rather suprised Kroger (9.2%) is ahead of Lowes Foods (5.5%) in the Triangle, it looks like Lowes Foods has more stores but Kroger has a higher sales volume. Also note the Teeter doesnt have quite the stranglehold on the area as Charlotte. I predict there will be a bit of a shakeup as Publix expands into the region....although I'm sure the Top 3 will be safe one has to wonder about numbers 4 and 5 on the list...

Edited by NCMike1981

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter about Publix entering the Raleigh market. While they're pretty much all but confirmed at Bradford in Cary, I haven't heard too much about any other sites. I did get confirmation that they had an approved deal at York Development's site at Creedmoor and Milbrook before the Teeter was announced there. Apparently there were access issues that killed the deal for Publix. I believe this is the site the TBJ was referring to as the North Raleigh location in their article, but I could be wrong. Anyone else hearing anything in the rumor mill about possible other locations? 

Edit: Forgot to mention that on Harold Weinbrecht's blog, he mentioned back in December that Publix is opening a store on Harrison Ave in Cary. No detail as to where, but the options are limited. 

Edited by Prodev

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Six Triangle restaurants made the best 100 restaurants in the South. Charlotte had none. 

http://www.southernliving.com/travel/best-southern-restaurants/view-all

I can name a number of Charlotte Restaurants that belong on this list. I've been 15 of the Southern Restaurants on this list. 

I think that Passion8, FigTree, Barrington, CustomShop, and Aria could easily find their way onto this list, if there wasn't a very strange bias against Charlotte in the South.

Everything else in Charlotte is cookie cutter and mediocre, so why not the restaurants?

Clearly you haven't been to any of the Charlotte restaurants I've mentioned. One of which was in the discussion for a James Beard award. Everything in the Raleigh is just the same. Show me somewhere in Raleigh that stacks up to Plaza Midwood or Noda. Durham is the only cool thing about the triangle. You don't even have a downtown grocery store.

Edited by Guest

^I have to say... I'm quite disappointed in the attitude of you both. I casually frequent the Raleigh/Triangle board. The constant jabs at Charlotte are pretty sad (yes, Charlotte City council requested that Skyhouse be one story taller than Raleigh's -- said nobody in city council). No one thinks Charlotte is perfect. No one thinks Raleigh is perfect. We always have our debates about what we think the city as a whole could do better. I visit Raleigh every so often as my sister lives there. She visits Charlotte about the same. We both enjoy visiting each other's city and we both enjoy each place. The state as a whole is better because the Charlottes, Raleighs, Greensboros, Ashevilles, etc. Instead of trying to one up each other because of some blogger's opinion you should appreciate what all the cities have to offer. The state of North Carolina is better for it. And we apologize for Pat McCrory. Just my two cents. Cheers...

I think that Passion8, FigTree, Barrington, CustomShop, and Aria could easily find their way onto this list, if there wasn't a very strange bias against Charlotte in the South.

This is just your opinion. I will take the opinions of a seasoned restaurant critic over a local john doe any day.

That's why her picks are in Southern Living and yours aren't.

Edited by RALNATIVE

This is just your opinion. I will take the opinions of a seasoned restaurant critic over a local john doe any day.

That's why her picks are in Southern Living and yours aren't.

I live in Manhattan, not Charlotte, so local John Doe does not apply. And my food experience is probably just as seasoned as your food editor. Edited by Guest

Ricky_davis_fan_21 seems to love coming in this forum to stir the pot. He always has something catty to say about the Raleigh area. If one of us went into the Charlotte forum and started talking smack the way he does in here, we would have our posts deleted and be blocked from the entire site. It's a bit of a double standard. I realize this message board was started in Charlotte for only Charlotte, but all posters need to be treated equally if the operators of this board really want to cover all areas of the country/world. Charlotte isn't so special that posters from that area get a free pass to start flame wars. 

Ricky_davis_fan_21 seems to love coming in this forum to stir the pot. He always has something catty to say about the Raleigh area. If one of us went into the Charlotte forum and started talking smack the way he does in here, we would have our posts deleted and be blocked from the entire site. It's a bit of a double standard. I realize this message board was started in Charlotte for only Charlotte, but all posters need to be treated equally if the operators of this board really want to cover all areas of the country/world. Charlotte isn't so special that posters from that area get a free pass to start flame wars. 

I do? LOL

I happen to love Raleigh. I never come in here and Troll Raleigh, ever.

However RALNATIVE trolls Charlotte constantly. Anything I've said above were responses to RALNative's Childish and Outlandish statements about Charlotte.

Well Charlotte doesn't even have a downtown. What do they call it again?

Trolling

Six Triangle restaurants made the best 100 restaurants in the South. Charlotte had none. 

http://www.southernliving.com/travel/best-southern-restaurants/view-all

Trolling. Just say 6 triangle restaurants made the list. And speak about the importance of Triangle food to the Culinary landscape of North Carolina. Don't use it as a reason to belittle Charlotte. Which in my opinion, which I am entitled to, had a few snubs.

Everything else in Charlotte is cookie cutter and mediocre, so why not the restaurants?

Trolling

None of what he said in those three posts has context or substance. I stated that there were Numerous Restaurants that belong on the list, that were snubbed. Thats not trolling.

I'm very proud of our little brother to the north, getting recognized in a very popular regional magazine for their culinary scene. But if someone makes ignorant childish statements about another persons home, he should be prepared for the blow back.

Edited by Guest

Hey yall.  Its just 5 in the Triangle on the list anyway.  Kinston will never ever be considered part of the Triangle. 

Mr. Davis, I realize that you want your favorite restaurants on the list, but claiming to be more of a restaurant snob than the magazine's professional restaurant snob seems a bit childish as well.

The original comment that Charlotte had none on the list seems pretty factual.  I suppose it may be a relevant observation since Charlotte claims to have a foodie culture.  I think the comment is noteworthy because of the surprising omission of Charlotte.  Maybe Charlotte isn't where they think they are in their food culture scene.

I highly recommend Stanbury.  And given time, Bida Manda will be on the list as well.

Hey yall.  Its just 5 in the Triangle on the list anyway.  Kinston will never ever be considered part of the Triangle. 

Mr. Davis, I realize that you want your favorite restaurants on the list, but claiming to be more of a restaurant snob than the magazine's professional restaurant snob seems a bit childish as well.

The original comment that Charlotte had none on the list seems pretty factual.  I suppose it may be a relevant observation since Charlotte claims to have a foodie culture.  I think the comment is noteworthy because of the surprising omission of Charlotte.  Maybe Charlotte isn't where they think they are in their food culture scene.

I highly recommend Stanbury.  And given time, Bida Manda will be on the list as well.

Speaking as someone who has worked as a copywriter and designer at Vogue, Vanity Fair, Robb Report and Cigar Aficiando, she would be a writer first and a food snob second. Just because someone writes about food, doesn't mean they have a better appreciation for food than a layman. I have quite a bit of experience appreciating food all over the world, and have spent the last 7 years blowing through the culinary scene in New York. I also have eaten at 15 of the top 100 on this list, 3 of the 6 in the triangle, and I feel I can offer a pretty fair comparison to restaurants I've been to in Charlotte. 

I'm sorry I haven't had the luck of landing a writing gig where I get to travel around the country eating food, but that doesn't discount my ability to appreciate and judge a restaurant. 

If you actually knew me, you might give me a lot more credibility. 

And honestly I  am just tired of incendiary comments from RALNATIVE that have no purpose but to put down the Queen City.