Triangle Food Scene

I ate at the Pit last Friday night, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes good 'cue. It's certainly more upscale than any BBQ place I've been to, which is a nice alternative to the norm. The ribs are very tender, pulled & choped pork were tasty and can be seasoned with any of three sauces, including eastern vinegar- and western tomato-based. Salads are quite good, and they offer a vegetarian plate as well.

I got to meet Ed Mitchell, and he's a really nice man, and obviously passionate about his BBQ and making his customers feel welcome. He showed me the pit in the back and explained how they cook the pigs to order. He explained that they cook the whole pig using wood chips just like pitmasters did it a century ago. The Pit is supplied it's hogs from it's own farm which raises the pigs with only organic feed. They even offer whole cooked pigs for pig-pickings.

:thumbsup:

We went on Friday too. By around 8-8:30 they were slowing down but there were still several tables occupied.

Ed seemed busy with friends in the kitchen, etc. but excited to show off the new place like a pround parent.

I liked it a lot, my wife liked it ok and said it could be a "once a month" kind of place. $12 for pulled shoulder or chopped whole pig plus cole slaw and two sides was quite reasonable for the quantity and quality of the food. They seemed a bit slow, which I attributed to being only the first week, but the cheese corn muffins and hush puppies made the wait bearable. The slaw, potato salad and yams were really good; the mac and cheese and cheese ravioli were "only" above average.

It is a good addition to the downtown Raleigh restaurant scene. This might be overthinking things, but it is they type of place that could set Raleigh apart from other convention center cities. I know some people like the comfort of a chain, but for those seeking "differernt" experiences, they are starting to stack up with the Pit, Fins, the Mint (hopefully), Waraji, Times Bar, Riveara, Dos Tacquitos Centro, Second Empire, 42nd Street Oyster Bar, etc.

This isn't the last upscale place you are going to see revamping itself or closing itself in downtown, and here's why--the recent lobbying reforms enacted by the General Assembly have, in general, put the kibosh on lobbyists taking legislators to expensive restaurants. So any restaurant that has been dependent on "expense account" diners will suffer accordingly, particularly those in proximity to the Legislative Building. On the other hand, places good enough or reasonably enough priced to attract diners who will be spending their OWN money will be better poised to survive...Sullivans isn't going to make it on the birthday party/anniversary trade alone...

And with the General Assembly in session on Monday-Thursday, the expense accounts provided business on the slower nights. But to think that these restaurants will fail simply because of fewer lobbyists and expense accounts is quite overstated.

There are enough other people in Raleigh who eat at restaurants like Sullivan's on a regular basis for them to survive.

That being said, if you want to see a legislator or twenty, hit up the K&W at Cameron Village on a weeknight. El Ro at City Market is popular as well.

It's the most wonderful time of the year... for eggnog milkshakes at CookOut! I just got one and a bbq plate. I recommend it, haha. If you don't like that, try the Chocolate Chip Mint one. Those two are probably the best for this time of year holiday wise in my opinion.

That being said, if you want to see a legislator or twenty, hit up the K&W at Cameron Village on a weeknight. El Ro at City Market is popular as well.

Yup...and the IHOP on Hillsborough. I've overheard a good few interesting conversations from those booths...that low ceiling is great for echoing whispers. ;)

Edited by RaleighRob

^^the new rules don't outlaw lobbyists picking up the tab, but I believe they set some sort of $$ threshold, either absolute, or you have to report it above a certain value...so the practice will continue and intensify at places like K&W, IHOP, and, yes, Finch's...

^^the new rules don't outlaw lobbyists picking up the tab, but I believe they set some sort of $ threshold, either absolute, or you have to report it above a certain value...so the practice will continue and intensify at places like K&W, IHOP, and, yes, Finch's...

The threshold is $10. But most, if not all legislators will not accept anything from a lobbyist, no matter how small.

I tried buying one a Coke and he wouldn't accept.

Tried Globe on Raleigh's Glenwood South (next to Red Room) on Friday night.

Nice new addition to the area, I liked it alot. Their international theme is kinda cute...a Thai Curry on the menu right next to an Italian pasta. :)

Since they're still new and not well-known, they're also easy to get into even on a Friday night...so enjoy that while it lasts. ;)

Edited by RaleighRob

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy. That stretch of Capital badly needed new thriving business. Their work on that building helped the whole block look better. But yeah, sounds like poor advertising and music that didn't appeal to many people, would keep business low. Some coworkers went there for lunch one day and told me they weren't impressed with the food, either.

Was this affiliated with the old Boo's Hideaway on Hillsborough Street near the Electric Company Mall and Studio I&II? It was too small there and seemed to be too big in the Capitol location. Is it just the restaurant that is closing, the bar, or both?

The parking lot couldn't hand larger crowds. The only things near the Hideaway and open after 8 or 9 pm were the mexican place, the bowling alley, and the foxy lady, and those weren't really that close (or compatible). There isn't much residential nearby until you get close to Raleigh Blvd., and that area didn't seem too interested in country music for the most part.

Rent was probably cheap, and the building looks a lot better than what it replaced, but revitalization of the area started and ended with them. They had to create their own market, which didn't seem to happen.

Uh, people, before this rumor gets too far, can we confirm it? According to their website they have shows booked in Janauary. I was there the other night and it was PACKED, as it has been every time I have been. Although, I admit, I have never eaten there.

NOW I hear that the rumor is false and it's not closing.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Actually, Hidaway is a great place and they do advertise. Just look at an Independent and you will see their Band list right along with Cats Cradle, Lincoln Theater and Pour House. I have seen it elsewhere. I think the Bands they have are great (most of the time). Go see Hank Sinatra when they play there. Not your usual run of mill party bands that Raleigh gets or the usual Pour House band circuit. (I do like the Pour House). I do think they have a great location but it just blows me a way that some people who go "DT" would not be caught that far up Capital or since it is not DT, people will not go.

The food is not bad but I think they have cut back their hours since not that many people go eat there. It is not associated with Boo's , it is locally owned by a lawyer here in Raleigh who sunk a lot of money into it and the building as he said Raleigh needed a blues/alt country bar which I think he is correct. This part of Capital will boom in years to come but not sure now is the time. I say in 15 years, that whole location will change.

Try out Hidaway sometime. Different crowd than the standard "I am 27 year old Raleigh person trying to be cool on GlenwoodSouth". OK maybe I went to far on that one so sorry if I offended anyone.

Tried Globe on Raleigh's Glenwood South (next to Red Room) on Friday night.

Nice new addition to the area, I liked it alot. Their international theme is kinda cute...a Thai Curry on the menu right next to an Italian pasta. :)

Since they're still new and not well-known, they're also easy to get into even on a Friday night...so enjoy that while it lasts. ;)

I recently read a review of Globe that was not that favorable at RaleighRestaurantReview.com

^^I am definitely in the group of people are glad to have Hideaway but have yet to find time or reason to check it out. This area of Raleigh does seem to have some unusual potential with Capital splitting here and it being caught between the downtown revival and the rapid expansion on the outskirts. I could envision several conepts or themes for the area ranging from a park centered around Pigeon House to a small North Hills type area built on the flea market site to some nice mid-rise office buildings around the Crabtree intersection on the cleared and unused industrial sites. I think Hideaway would benefit from one more unique restaruant draw close by.

I have been to the Globe too and think it is great.

On Hideaway, I have been many times and love it. It may not appeal all the time to the "27 year old cool" crowd, but I think it really appeals to a crowd that just likes to have a drink and listen to good music. My main problem with seeing live music these days (I am in the over 40, gotta work in the morning crowd) and I am thrilled to have a place where I can get a drink, see a great band and be home by midnight, rather than just waiting for the band to start at midnight. The booker at Hideaway is the same woman that used to book for the Pour House and I have really enjoyed every band I have seen there. Saw Jason Isbell there and just recently a band from N.O. called Bonerama, that consisted of guitar, drums, a tuba and three trombones. I can't even begin to describe the sound, but it was wild. I like the fact that the crowd there is very mixed in age and seems to be largely there for the music and not for the "scene".

I have been to the Globe too and think it is great.

On Hideaway, I have been many times and love it. It may not appeal all the time to the "27 year old cool" crowd, but I think it really appeals to a crowd that just likes to have a drink and listen to good music. My main problem with seeing live music these days (I am in the over 40, gotta work in the morning crowd) and I am thrilled to have a place where I can get a drink, see a great band and be home by midnight, rather than just waiting for the band to start at midnight. The booker at Hideaway is the same woman that used to book for the Pour House and I have really enjoyed every band I have seen there. Saw Jason Isbell there and just recently a band from N.O. called Bonerama, that consisted of guitar, drums, a tuba and three trombones. I can't even begin to describe the sound, but it was wild. I like the fact that the crowd there is very mixed in age and seems to be largely there for the music and not for the "scene".

Was the music fast like Zydeco or more Jazz-like? I saw a great zydeco band in NO that had the same instruments as above but also the necessary washboard and accordian. Wild would have been a good description as well....they jamed harder and faster than any heavy metal band I grew up to.