Triangle Food Scene

It looks like Brisas de Acapulco on Peace St. has closed (more recently Las Cascadas). There is a For Rent sign and they've not been open for a couple of weeks.

That's too bad...they had some good food. I think part of the problem was that the place just didn't look very inviting to folks from the outside. The location has visibility due to being on a major road....but nothing eye-catching.

There's a sign in the window of the passive solar building that used to house Brown and Jones architecture on north Person street, diagonally across from Conti's. (It was an old gas station, has a big water collection tank out front so lots of people thought it was a brewery.) Anyway, the sign says coming soon, Rosie's Plate, specializing in allergy free food (like no peanuts, gluten, etc). Their website (www.rosiesplate.com) is a placeholder, no other info than that. Doesn't look like much happening inside yet - here are still rolls of plans on the tables.

^IIRC before the architecture firm bought the gas station, a restaurant permit was denied there because they could not meet the parking requirments. The potential restaurant owner argued that it was close enough to downtown that parking requirments should not apply but lost his case. Not sure actual specifics but I hope the City's new enlightened view on downtown will make things easier for Rosiesplate.

I went there the night the rumor was posted here and talked to this woman sitting at the bar who said she worked there. She said they had stop serving food except on Band nights and I knew then the rumor was probably true. I talked to this woman about I had heard a rumor it was closing and she did not say much.

I went back late New Years Eve and noticed that it was cash only for entrance and thought "yep, it is true." I kind of know the band booker in the article and know the former bar manager, Gary. I think they had some issues but I still think that area will boom in 10 years. I hope something good moves there as it is a nice place/building.

Greg Cox has a good review of his 20 best Triangle restaurants. Its good to see all these places are locally owned and operated illustrating that the Triangle has one of the best food scenes in the Southeast.

Story

It's a great list...I like that Greg Cox emphasizes local restaurants instead of chains. And that he also lists a good helping of places from all three corners of the Triangle.

My only critique would be that the only Indian restaurant he listed was the utterly bland Saffron in Morrisville. <_< Udupi would have been a better choice by far.

But I suppose that's balanced out by the fact he gives Red Palace Chinese the attention it deserves. :thumbsup:

Edited by RaleighRob

BTW, here's the entire list. I'm bookmarking this page for future reference. :)

2007 Restaurant of the Year

Fins

110 E. Davie St., Raleigh, 834-6963, www.myspace.com/finsrestaurant

Cuisine: Pacific Rim fusion, seafood

Top 20

Bin 54

1201-M Raleigh Road, in Glen Lennox Shopping Center, Chapel Hill, 969-1155, www.bin54restaurant.com

Cuisine: Steakhouse

Bloomsbury Bistro

509-101 W. Whitaker Mill Road, at Five Points, Raleigh, 834-9011, www.bloomsburybistro.com

Cuisine: Contemporary

Bonne Soir

It's a great list...I like that Greg Cox emphasizes local restaurants instead of chains. And that he also lists a good helping of places from all three corners of the Triangle.

My only critique would be that the only Indian restaurant he listed was the utterly bland Saffron in Morrisville. <_< Udupi would have been a better choice by far.

But I suppose that's balanced out by the fact he gives Red Palace Chinese the attention it deserves. :thumbsup:

Hey RaleighRob-where is this Udupi you speak of? Would you put it on par with Royal India (which I think is excellent)?

Hey RaleighRob-where is this Udupi you speak of? Would you put it on par with Royal India (which I think is excellent)?

It's in Cary on Chatham Street. It's vegetarian Indian, though, so don't be surprised if you ever try it. I do think it's good though...cuz it's about the only restaurant I'd bother navigating Cary for!! :P

It's in Cary on Chatham Street. It's vegetarian Indian, though, so don't be surprised if you ever try it. I do think it's good though...cuz it's about the only restaurant I'd bother navigating Cary for!! :P

and how. you raise an interesting point: what and where are the really good restaurants in Cary? I haven't been anywhere there that would have me wanting to make the drive time and time again. Most of what it has to offer is very chain-ish, like a huge brier creek.

Thanks for the tip, though, I'll have to check it out. :good:

and how. you raise an interesting point: what and where are the really good restaurants in Cary? I haven't been anywhere there that would have me wanting to make the drive time and time again. Most of what it has to offer is very chain-ish, like a huge brier creek.

Thanks for the tip, though, I'll have to check it out. :good:

An (owned by the Goodnights) is a really good restaurant worth going to Cary for. Herons (in the Umstead hotel) could maybe be another, but I like An better. I've not been to Maximilian's (also in Cary) yet but have heard good things about them.

Udupi ( I thought it was called Suchi?)is more like Bombay Kitchen in Northridge.

No...Udupi and Suchi are two different places...about a block or two apart. (Udupi, the veggie one at 590 E. Chatham, and Suchi at 748 E. Chatham.) I used to go to Suchi too, but stopped after they got several poor sanitation grades (B's and C's) in a row. :wacko:

And of course I still say Indian food is probably the one major cuisine lacking in both Raleigh and Durham's downtowns. What's up with that? <_<

Edited by RaleighRob

I would love to see some great Indian and other ethnic restaurants right in DT Raleigh. I love that Neomonde, or an upscale restaurant along those lines is opening up on Hargett.

Honestly, Cary gets a bad rap (and rightfully so) around here for obvious reasons---but there are a number of good non-chain restaurants in that town, actually. A lot of good ethnic food there. I believe there's a new Peruvian restaurant near Cary Town Center, a ton of good Indian restaurants, some good Greek and middle eastern places, Cuban, Vietnamese, Thai, etc.

The stereotype of Cary being a bland place is right in the sense of place (or lack thereof), but the food isn't lacking in my eyes.

P.S. Twisted Noodles in Durham got a mention in Bon Appetit in past month.

re Globe, does anyone have a link to a website with menus or something? We called over there and they said no, they couldn't fax us a menu, but they had a page on Myspace. A search of Myspace revealed nothing. I've heard of viral marketing but good grief...

re Globe, does anyone have a link to a website with menus or something? We called over there and they said no, they couldn't fax us a menu, but they had a page on Myspace. A search of Myspace revealed nothing. I've heard of viral marketing but good grief...

I have never found one online...when I went there, I did see a window menu and that's kinda how we decided to try it. All I can tell you is it's a wide-theme...Italian, Asian, and so on.

In regards to Pooles...I haven't actually talked to anyone who's been there (in this reincarnation that is) yet. And the website has no menu either, which would really help here as well.

**Brief Rant**

Sigh. You'd think in one of the most technologically-savvy metro areas in the country, our restaurants could at least be somewhat competent at the internet and offer basics such as online menus. <_< It doesn't have to be fancy flash or pdf files...a basic, text-only list (with prices) will suffice!

And better yet, offer online reservations thru OpenTable (which, like, only a couple dozen here currently do) or other similar method.

Restaurant business is a tough business to be in....gotta keep up with the times if you wanna survive, folks. :ermm:

**End of Rant**

:P

Edited by RaleighRob

For what it's worth, I just got an email with a menu for Saturday's brunch at Poole's, along with some hours. Can't wait to give that a shot.

Short rib shepherd's pie $9

Biscuits and duck confit gravy $9

Eggs and bacon Niman Ranch house braised bacon with potato gratin and two eggs $11

Omelette du jour $10

Patty Melt half-pound house ground Niman Ranch beef served open faced with caramelized onions and gruyere on rye $11

Ricotta and lemon dumplings with warm maple butter $9

Egg and cheese souffle with roasted tomatoes $9

Crispy fried trout with lettuces in vinaigrette $12

Macaroni au gratin with egg $9

Lettuces with red wine vinaigrette $6

DINNER: Wed -Sat 5:30 p.m. -midnight BAR: Wed -Sat 5:30 p.m. -2 a.m.

SATURDAY BRUNCH: 10 a.m. -3 p.m.

PRIVATE PARTIES CALL TO BOOK, 919.832.4477