Triangle Food Scene

I *really* want to start a business to put restaurants (and retail) online with websites, reservations, and email marketing -- specials, private parties etc. but have no idea how to get started.

A lot of the restaurant business is friends of friends, and I don't have any friends in that world...

I think it could suppliment my day job, and maybe replace it, but there are a lot of things that would need to fall into place -- web hosting, how often they want to update, look and feel/graphics, etc.

I'm tempted to start a site and put whatever I can collect out there for free, and hope for donations/tips/whatever. The current big players -- citysearch, zwhatever, etc. -- do as little as possible and everything looks cookie cutter. But that seems to be enough, so that's what we get.

Does anyone know if The Pit is serving lunch yet?

I *really* want to start a business to put restaurants (and retail) online with websites, reservations, and email marketing -- specials, private parties etc. but have no idea how to get started.

A lot of the restaurant business is friends of friends, and I don't have any friends in that world...

I think it could suppliment my day job, and maybe replace it, but there are a lot of things that would need to fall into place -- web hosting, how often they want to update, look and feel/graphics, etc.

I'm tempted to start a site and put whatever I can collect out there for free, and hope for donations/tips/whatever. The current big players -- citysearch, zwhatever, etc. -- do as little as possible and everything looks cookie cutter. But that seems to be enough, so that's what we get.

Does anyone know if The Pit is serving lunch yet?

If you want to start a business, check out Raleigh's S.C.O.R.E chapter. They are made up of retired executives that offer their expertise for free to people who want to go into business: http://www.raleighscore.org/

• 3 weeks later...

TBJ is reporting that JK's is out at North Hills and Ruth's Chris is in. I guess that takes care of the rumor that RC was going in at the Renaissance Hotel. The owner says JK's will open at another location in Raleigh in the future. From his tone, it sounds like he was not happy with the arrangement there. I ate there last fall, and thought it was quite good--on par with Sullivans and RC at least.

I have years of web application coding, am good at design, do IT part-time while going to school, and already have hosting space through mediatemple that is just sitting around not utilizing bandwidth. I'd be willing to go into this with you as it intrigues me and have always wanted to do a site like that. I also have a few friends who are in marketing, etc who are always looking for things as hobbies, extra cash, yadda yadda.

Looks like the Independent Weekly has its ballot for Best of the Triangle 2008 online: http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Poll?poll=oid%3A166895

(I posted this here since about half the categories have something to do with food or drink. ;) )

Go on and vote for your favorite local restaurants (& other businesses)! :D

Edited by RaleighRob

Not 100% sure, but I think Nelson's in Cameron Village has closed.

Driving home from Valentine's Dinner, it looked empty and there were few cars. I didn't think that looked right.

Checked online....their website is still up, but their spot on the online reservation site OpenTable, says it's "Currently Unavailable".

I thought it was a pretty decent place...though it usually ended up as an "alternative" when I couldn't get an opening at other places (Fraziers, for example)....almost never as a first choice. But I'm still surprised.

Not 100% sure, but I think Nelson's in Cameron Village has closed.

Driving home from Valentine's Dinner, it looked empty and there were few cars. I didn't think that looked right.

Checked online....their website is still up, but their spot on the online reservation site OpenTable, says it's "Currently Unavailable".

I thought it was a pretty decent place...though it usually ended up as an "alternative" when I couldn't get an opening at other places (Fraziers, for example)....almost never as a first choice. But I'm still surprised.

They haven't closed for good, they're just having periods of downtime until they fix mechanical problems. They're going to be switching back to the Foster's name sometime in March:

http://projects.newsobserver.com/taking_st...he_fosters_name

I've wondered why they went through the whole renovation and name change. Foster's seemed to be doing very well. Their block parties alone brought in huge crowds.

I've heard comments from people who worked at Nelson's that these 'mechanical problems' are more financial in nature. The fact that they were not open for Valentine's Day (THE holiday for restaurants) sounds like there were some serious issues. Jmho.

I've wondered why they went through the whole renovation and name change. Foster's seemed to be doing very well. Their block parties alone brought in huge crowds.

I've heard comments from people who worked at Nelson's that these 'mechanical problems' are more financial in nature. The fact that they were not open for Valentine's Day (THE holiday for restaurants) sounds like there were some serious issues. Jmho.

They were tanking for meals and people were sick of drinking there with all of the new options on Glenwood. Ralph loves the beach and loves seafood, and wanted to do a nice seafood restaurant instead of a place for 25 year old alcoholics. He WAY overspent on the renovation and therefore had to charge very high prices. Carolina Country Club can float a reasonably priced restaurant (Glenwood Grill, Evoo, Nofo), but not something that had $25-$35 entrees, not during the week at least.

thekitch(es) and I had dinner at sono tonight and I think I'll end up liking the place a lot. For starters, the place looks pretty nice inside... love the floors, dig the big bamboo and bamboo accents here and there, nice and dark, and undecided on the larger than life woman on the wall. Being a bit of a glassware freak, I loved the glasses as well. Maybe that's just because what's in them though?

Great appetizers, great cocktail and wine, and for my dinner at least, just average. I ordered a sashimi platter since I like to size up everyone's raw fish, and I wish I had been a bit more impressed. In the one block radius, I have to honestly say that just judging the quality of sashimi between the three places on the block, it comes in third. Fins has probably the best sashimi I've had in the state, and for as few things as I like at Wild Ginger, they have great sashimi. Sono was good too, just not quite $30 worth of wow for the smallest plate (which was quite large actually). The good news though is their rolls looked amazing, and the kitches said the COOKED fish was great. Can't wait to try all the rest of the menu since I feel content with sashimi in the immediate vicinity.

Just thought I'd post and say it's definitely worth checking out since I haven't seen any comments on the site since it opened. For my money, I think it will make a great place for rolls, drinks, and the rest of the entrees. Being able to see a game on TV doesn't hurt either!

thekitch(es) and I had dinner at sono tonight and I think I'll end up liking the place a lot. For starters, the place looks pretty nice inside... love the floors, dig the big bamboo and bamboo accents here and there, nice and dark, and undecided on the larger than life woman on the wall. Being a bit of a glassware freak, I loved the glasses as well. Maybe that's just because what's in them though?

I'm glad to know it's open. They've done a horrible job of marketing - to the point that phones aren't even being answered and the website has no announcement.

I had no idea Sono was open already. I'll check them out soon.

In other news, another loss for Cameron Village. Apparently The Grape has closed. Here's the brief mention of it in the article:

On a sad note, The Grape has closed after a year and a half in Cameron Village. The combination restaurant/wine bar/retail wine shop was the only Triangle area franchise of an Atlanta-based chain with a novel system of categorizing wines by a color-coded system according to their flavor profiles.

I never went to The Grape because of all the bad things I heard about their service and management (or lack thereof). The concept itself was not the problem.

I had heard that Yancey's had filed for Chpt. 11 and hope that after the CC opens that he would/will do better. But Longbranch has closed? Haven't they done this multiple times before?

On another sushi topic, I checked out Hura Sushi in Glenwood Village S.C. the other night (Glenwood and Oberlin). It was pretty great, actually. Very fresh fish, good tempura, food came out fast. I think i am going to love having this place in my neighborhood.

I had heard that Yancey's had filed for Chpt. 11 and hope that after the CC opens that he would/will do better. But Longbranch has closed? Haven't they done this multiple times before?

On another sushi topic, I checked out Hura Sushi in Glenwood Village S.C. the other night (Glenwood and Oberlin). It was pretty great, actually. Very fresh fish, good tempura, food came out fast. I think i am going to love having this place in my neighborhood.

I believe this is owned by the same people as Wild Ginger/Tokyo House/Zen Cafe/etc, and the sushi chef from Wild Ginger made the move with. You should be in good hands. I'm jealous..... that guy rocked!

I just read in the Triangle Business Journal that Yancy's restaurant, (located on Fayettville St and the Longbranch Saloon music club,(in north Raleigh), both filed for bankruptcy. So sad! But both plan to stay open, (bigger question is for how long)? :(

I had been to Yancey's 3-4 times for lunch in the 6 months after they opened and haven't been back. Food on the buffet was hit or miss, some things great, others not so much.

The other problem was the service was pretty bad. For a bunch of people ordering fromt he buffet I expected a little more prompt service on refilling the drinks. And having to wait on the check is completely unacceptable. And it wasn't that cheap either. Start getting into the $12-15 range for lunch and it doesn't make the usual rotation.

It's a great list...I like that Greg Cox emphasizes local restaurants instead of chains. And that he also lists a good helping of places from all three corners of the Triangle.

My only critique would be that the only Indian restaurant he listed was the utterly bland Saffron in Morrisville. <_< Udupi would have been a better choice by far.

But I suppose that's balanced out by the fact he gives Red Palace Chinese the attention it deserves. :thumbsup:

Red Palace?? Look I am from up northeast way NJ NY, gotta say way overpriced, average at best, and have you seen the place? Dirty bathrooms, carpet is pretty worn and the ratings from the wake county sanitation are iffy over the years. But then again, every other place down here in the triangle that makes chinese is a bad buffet or takeout place that serves fried chicken with the chinese food.

Regarding Yanceys: Everytime I've been there it was crowded, so I'm surprised about the bankruptcy issue. (But one article says it's mostly based on rental issues, so we'll see what becomes of that.) Never been for lunch but dinner menu is indeed really tasty...but service is definitely hit or miss. They should add some focus there for sure. (And what's with the no reservations except for large parties?? Showing up and hoping to find a table is a big gamble on weekends.)

Red Palace?? Look I am from up northeast way NJ NY, gotta say way overpriced, average at best, and have you seen the place? Dirty bathrooms, carpet is pretty worn and the ratings from the wake county sanitation are iffy over the years. But then again, every other place down here in the triangle that makes chinese is a bad buffet or takeout place that serves fried chicken with the chinese food.

Well, Red Palace has never claimed to be gourmet, fancy or elegant. Their niche in the Triangle is definitely a "If you were dining in actual China, this is what you'd find." And I'd say they succeed in that, given that three-quarters of the times I've been there for dinner, I was the only non-Asian in the entire dining room. :D

• 1 month later...

For all you Sosta lovers out there, they are going to try opening on Saturdays starting this weekend and see if there's enough business to make it worthwhile. Very exciting to me since I only get to eat there when I work from home.

They are also applying for a liquor license so they can try a few evenings a week (Friday & Saturday) serving a small selection of wine, beer, and antipasto. That won't be until at least May, but also a welcome addition if you ask me.

^ good to know because I have stood outside and stared at the menu several times but moved on to places I know like Brass Grill, Woodys, Vics, Times etc. I am glad the places in PE II are doing well because I was a bit worried as it kind of defines the southern edge of the daytime office crowd. Cecil, you will have a lot of neighbors soon hopefully when RBC eventually gets some CO's, Sosta should be well positioned to receive them in the evenings it sounds...

Edit: I can now also add that I think its outstanding as well....I had know idea it was mediterranean food...very tasty...

Edited by Jones133

For all you Sosta lovers out there, they are going to try opening on Saturdays starting this weekend and see if there's enough business to make it worthwhile. Very exciting to me since I only get to eat there when I work from home.

They are also applying for a liquor license so they can try a few evenings a week (Friday & Saturday) serving a small selection of wine, beer, and antipasto. That won't be until at least May, but also a welcome addition if you ask me.

I ate there on Saturday to help encourage them to open up on Saturdays. When I got there, I was the only one, but a couple more folks tricked in afterwards. I really like their vegetarian sandwich options, and would love to see them open up on the weekends and evenings because I can't eat there on weekdays.

I stopped in Saturday myself and enjoyed a nice pollobella. Yum! They said there was a pretty steady stream of a few people at a time in there, so hopefully they will keep it up. The weather was certainly not ideal for their first day.

On the way into work this morning, I noticed a sign with the Champa hours... 11-6 M-F. That's a big ole disappointment. Not that China Market had great hours, but at least you could get a decent (for the price) Pad Thai until 8.

Also, I noticed people in 101 on Thursday and Friday... anyone been yet? I'm curious to try it or hear someone's opinion.