Triangle Food Scene

I thought the Ruth's Chris was going in the JK's spot, with the hotel space up for grabs...am I mistaken?

You are correct sir.

Village Tavern must be going to NH East. The only option in the current North Hills is the vacant Mama Fu's space, which I doubt would work for them.

With Village Tavern not opening till 2009, Ruth's Chris could open in JK's which was the plan all along, and then move to the hotel space, though that would be overkill. The North Hills map still has JKs on it, though they have been removed from the website's restaurant list. It doesn't list Ruth's Chris anywhere yet, and probably should drop the "opening in 2006" footnote near the bottom of the page.

The JK's spot has more visiblity, but all the parking is behind it, close to JC Penny's. Though parking does not seem like it was an issue at the original Cary location (near South Hills) or the current location on Harrison Ave.

When is the Rennissance hotel opening? Are there any rumors floating around for its restaurant space? Will it be local (Cinelli's/South/Vivacie/Mura) or chain (Firebirds/Ruth's Chris/Bonefish)?

FYI

American Tobacco Campus in downtown Durham has an online survey asking about your opinions of the current dining options there, and requests for future dining options. You can fill it out at http://www.youropinionsmatter.com/d136/

I think at the end you can enter for a drawing for a gift card, dining gift certificate there and so forth. But I think it's real cool that they want the public's input on possible eating options. Hopefully they'll get some good responses and act on them. :)

NewRaleigh is reporting that Tasca Brava has opened in the former Bistro 607 spot. Next door, Brooklyn Heights Bar is also open. It seems certain Tasca Brava menu items will be available there from 5-9 pm.

I had not heard anything about this switch and it's a shame Bistro 607 had to close. I think this is Tasca Brava's second relocation in the last few years? I hope this location works for them.

^I was very surprised to hear Bistro 607 is closing. They are often cited as one of Raleigh's best in the fine, intimate dining genre. Granted I rarely could afford them...maybe that was part of the problem. It'd be nice to hear if they're simply moving someplace else. Otherwise Raleigh diners will have to trek thru the traffic of North Raleigh and its strip malls to find any good French fare. <_<

Urban Food Group is closing South: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1090383.html I ate there a few times and really liked the "modern" twist on Southern food there....hate to see them go. :(

However in it's place they plan to open up a French place. With the recent closing of Bistro 607, this would give Raleigh a new French option so that's a good thing. :thumbsup:

I like South, fine, but along with Porter's, it is a restaurant I can take or leave. That is extremely expensive space, and they need a restaurant on the level of Vivace and Frasier's, one that will really attract tourists and people from outside the neighborhood, to make it work.

Edited by dmccall

• 3 weeks later...

I ate there on Friday and got one of the $5.25 lunch specials (sweet and sour pork!). It was delicious and although the place is nothing fancy, it serves its purpose and was packed at lunch time. I'll be going back. It'll develop it's own sense of character with time.

Also it looks like they'll eventually have an "express lane" of food where you can pick/choose what you want. Appeared that they were still working on setting that area up though to the left of the register.

I ate there as well on Friday for dinner. I was really hoping for something more though, as their signs had been promising "gourmet" as well as a "healthy take" on chinese food. Instead we seem to have just gotten a run of the mill chinese option.

I ordered Sesame Tofu, which was not on the menu, but most chinese places will make if for you. (In fact, Red Dragon is the only place that has ever refused) The tofu was not cooked all that well, it was a little soft and wet inside, and I thought the sauce was a little light on flavor. Maybe these are things they will work out in time, but for now, I'm not really impressed.

im eating leftover calzone from moonlight pizza for lunch and its inspiring me to post this.

my household has determined moonlight to be the best place for pizza in raleigh. we used to go to lilly's and MM but the waits were always sooo long we'd usually leave and end up at moonlight. (we do capital creations for delivery, always with the coupons) moonlight is the best pizza and service, imo. and the atmosphere is nice--not smoky, never crowded and loud, and the patio is pleasant, but not quite as pleasant as MM's. and this calzone is DELICIOUS. seriously. good.

will try peace china soon. i'm kind of faithful to wang's kitchen delivery for two reasons: the curry chicken and the flyers with the eagles.

my household has determined moonlight to be the best place for pizza in raleigh. we used to go to lilly's and MM but the waits were always sooo long we'd usually leave and end up at moonlight. (we do capital creations for delivery, always with the coupons) moonlight is the best pizza and service, imo. and the atmosphere is nice--not smoky, never crowded and loud, and the patio is pleasant, but not quite as pleasant as MM's. and this calzone is DELICIOUS. seriously. good.

This is funny cuz it's like you read my mind. ;) While I've always thought Lilly's was dang good...and Capital Creations is still best for delivery/take-out....Moonlight certainly has the advantage of best overall eat-in pizza trip. Totally agree.

I just heard that Peace China is open at Seaboard next to the Ace Hardware. From what I've seen, it looks like it will serve "fast food" Chinese, but hopefully it will be tasty for a quick takeout.

Ate lunch there today. Basic fast food chinese, like the place that used to be at the corner of Salisbury and Hargett. Styrofoam plates, cheesy pictures of the food on the menu board, the whole nine yards. Some nice outdoor seating, but a view only of an asphalt parking lot, with the freight yards in the distance. But hey, every downtown needs cheap Chinese, and this at least tasted hot and fresh. Not sure why they are trying to call themselves "gourmet"...maybe an English as a Second Language mistranslation?

Bet it goes a little upscale at night. They have a setup where they could put out a buffet, but it wasn't set up at lunchtime today...

On an unrelated note, as I walked past Capital Grocery on the way to the chinese place, it seemed to be doing a bit of the lunch business...mind you, not as busy as the cafe at Logan Trading Company ( I no longer refer to that place as "Seaboard Cafe" because newbies confuse it with the white tableclothed "18 Seaboard"), but far from a "how does this place stay in business" level of emptiness...

And speaking of "how does this place stay in business", I am completely perplexed by all the glowing reports we were hearing before Tookie's opened downtown about how good it is...I guess it was good food if you had a "gas station" level of expectation, but for a sit down table service restaurant in downtown Raleigh, it simply doesn't cut it...

Edited by JeffC

My thoughts on pizza offerings ITB/DT:

MM: best pizza in Raleigh (best dough), good beer selection, VERY crowded patio if it's AT ALL nice outside (Mar-Nov)

Lillys: 2nd best pizza in Raleigh, best funky/indy/grit factor, good beer options, bad service (from my experience), smokey inside

Moonlight: 3rd best pizza--still good, best outdoor atmosphere, solid beer selections, best view of downtown, least crowded

Overall, I still like MM's pizza the best, but it's hard to go wrong with any of them for a variety of reasons and personal preference. I do not understand, however, those people who swear that one or the other is terrible. I've heard that, but it does not compute. :huh:

As an aside, as I reported yesterday, we now have a new DT offering to the pizza Gods: Martin St Pizza at 14 W Martin between Port City Java and Champa Thai Cafe (near Alibi). We shall see how they fare in the downtown core.

Lillys: 2nd best pizza in Raleigh, best funky/indy/grit factor, good beer options, bad service (from my experience), smokey inside

Before anyone wonders, No, Lilly's does not allow smoking inside. ;)

The "smokey" the Chief refers to is cooking/baking smoke that's just not ventilated out very well sometimes. (Humble Pie occasionally has this problem too.)

Just to belay any concerns. :)

Edited by RaleighRob

YUGS...ill have to remember that one. i like saying that.

just looked at the martin st pizza menu on gogoraleigh and i am really struggling. i dont know whether i'll get the ny style pizza (which ive been craving lately) or one of those sandwiches! it sounds so good! can't wait to try it out

Ate Dinner at Martin Street Pizza last night. I got a slice w/roasted peppers and a side salad. The pizza was a little chewy for my tastes, but it tasted alright, and the ingredients were definetely fresh (i could tell the cheese was hand grated).

We were expecting a more casual style of ordering at the counter, but they were actually waiting on tables for dinner. There was a good number of people there for their second night of being open. The guy who waited on us said they were also waiting for their outdoor seating permit as well as their liquor licencse.

Ate lunch there today. Basic fast food chinese, like the place that used to be at the corner of Salisbury and Hargett. Styrofoam plates, cheesy pictures of the food on the menu board, the whole nine yards. Some nice outdoor seating, but a view only of an asphalt parking lot, with the freight yards in the distance. But hey, every downtown needs cheap Chinese, and this at least tasted hot and fresh. Not sure why they are trying to call themselves "gourmet"...maybe an English as a Second Language mistranslation?

Bet it goes a little upscale at night. They have a setup where they could put out a buffet, but it wasn't set up at lunchtime today...

On an unrelated note, as I walked past Capital Grocery on the way to the chinese place, it seemed to be doing a bit of the lunch business...mind you, not as busy as the cafe at Logan Trading Company ( I no longer refer to that place as "Seaboard Cafe" because newbies confuse it with the white tableclothed "18 Seaboard"), but far from a "how does this place stay in business" level of emptiness...

And speaking of "how does this place stay in business", I am completely perplexed by all the glowing reports we were hearing before Tookie's opened downtown about how good it is...I guess it was good food if you had a "gas station" level of expectation, but for a sit down table service restaurant in downtown Raleigh, it simply doesn't cut it...

Stopped by at Peace China on Saturday and talked to the owner. Just ate so got a shrimp roll and a drink to take out. Young guy started it but I hope he does well. Get some apartments in there and he will do OK. I thought the roll was pretty good but the place is not and not meant to be upscale Asian which is OK with since when I eat Chinese (unless I am in Shanghai or Hong Kong) this is what I like (unless I want to eat upscale). Looks like a great take out or a fast place to get a decent meal. He said he was doing 30% better than plan right now but you could tell he wanted more weekend business. The seating outside looked good and I don't buy what the poster said about a parking lot and railroad tracks. Yep, that is there but better than sucking fumes on Glenwood like Lily's or Moonlight or many others. I would eat outside.

The seating outside looked good and I don't buy what the poster said about a parking lot and railroad tracks. Yep, that is there but better than sucking fumes on Glenwood like Lily's or Moonlight or many others. I would eat outside.

If you are in for a quick lunch and it's a nice day (i.e. not 90 degrees plus) sure, it's a pleasant enough outdoor seating area. But to hang out at night with friends? Why not just go to Home Depot and hang out on the outdoor furniture for sale out in the parking lot...same concrete bordering on a sea of asphalt...