Triangle Food Scene

^ I think they are 11-11 Mon-Sat. I was there at about 1030 last Sat night, and it was mostly dead, although it was admittedly way after dinner. They just got their liquor license and are trying to gauge the evening crowds. Lunch has been crowded from what I've seen and dinner should be helped a bit when RBC Plaza condos open up.

Here's the revised N&O article on Yancys. Says he might reopen later. It's really important, i think, to have that space open for the convention center this fall.

What are the hours? With Alibi and Slims on the same axis, some late night slice business might be order, but I am not sure what Bender is aiming for. It looks cool through the window.

only open until 10 now, but they plan on staying open later after being up & running for a while. This is my new favorite pizza in Raleigh.

Martin St. Pizza still seems to be evolving. The slice I got the day after they opened was not as good as the slice I got recently; that first slice was still good though. One of the guys there told me they are still working on things, so once it is up and running at 100%, I think it will be a huge draw.

Went to Martin Street last night with a friend. We had gone out for a walk and decided to stop in as my friend was related to one of the employees that is a cook there; wanted to say hi. They said that they have had a lot, like numerous, complaints within just the last few days over their pizza dough. They changed the recipe and I guess it's not working out. I inquired as to when things should be back on the upside and they said that next week things should be better.

They said they're still tweaking the menu, working on the atmosphere, and I saw the owner. He's the older (as in grey haired) guy that can be seen running around everywhere. Seemed cool. They're hoping to make this place grow what with Alibi downstairs and whatever is pending for the 2000th time closed Raleigh Music Hall upstairs. RMH needs someone to manage it better as a side note.

Big Boss - Bad Penny was on tap, so I approve of this establishment, haha.

• 3 weeks later...

Been meaning to post this for a while. Looks like we'll have a replacement for Gandolfo's soon.

I have a friend that lives in the building. They spoke w/ one of the guys opening this place & it sounds like it will be a much more authentic NYC deli type of spot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2008/10...iest_small_town

The current issue of Bon Appetit magazine has a nice article about the local food scene, dubbing the Durham-Chapel Hill area "America's Foodiest Small Town." (None of the towns in the running are exactly small, it should be noted.)

There's a focus on the usual resturants, and a decent bit of attention devoted to the Carrboro farmers market and local farmers as well. I wasn't expecting the article - a friend pointed it out to me - and I was reading fairly critically, but it's a decent piece; worth a look.

• 2 weeks later...

According to New Raleigh, Thaiphoon Bistro is now open in the old Cody's. It's at the corner of West North Street and Glenwood Ave.

http://www.newraleigh.com/articles/archive...h-flavor-style/

A follow-up...I've been a Thai cuisine fan all my adult life now and I have to say, after two visits, this is my favorite Thai restaurant in the Triangle now. If you haven't tried them yet, give it a go...definitely worth a visit.

I was fortunate enough to eat at Mecca for breakfast while I was in town. I was worried that Raleigh had no South left in it, but my fears were alleviated when I went here. Its definitely not new or trendy, but it reminded me of an old restaurant I used to go to back home. Good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow I personally wasn't expecting them to start looking into our area for a few years as they are just now testing the waters around Charlotte. I wonder if when Publix moves in if another chain ends up moving out. The Triangle has the most diverse grocery scene in the state imo, with Harris Teeter, Lowes Foods, Kroger, Food Lion, Aldi, not to mention supercenters as well as specialty grocers (like Trader Joes/Whole Foods etc). It seems as if Kroger and Lowes Foods are the two weakest players in the Triangle...just the other day it was announced two Krogers were closing in Raleigh leaving 14 stores in the area. I hope Publix doesn't end up pushing them out of the Triangle (and therefore out of NC). Lowes Foods seems to have a decent amount of stores in the Triangle (although no stores in Durham oddly enough) but, at least the stores near me don't ever seem very busy. Harris Teeter will be fine in our area, I believe the Triangle is one of the best markets for them (behind Charlotte of course). Food Lion and Aldi won't really be affected as they aren't upscale so I doubt they will have to compete head on with Publix.

the print version has a little bit more info, supposedly (I say supposedly b/c I'm not a subscriber and therefore cannot read the whole article) Publix is rumored to be considering buying out the Triangle Krogers although Kroger denies the rumor:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/print-edition/2012/11/30/upscale-publix-moving-into-local-market.html

Edited by NCMike1981