Winthrop Library about to begin construction/ Rock Hill

kyley5

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew nothing about a new campus entrance, and I'm a grad student at Winthrop! I need to keep up, LOL.

Here's the rendering of the library:

dacus.jpg

Also, the new physical education facility and Owens Hall are just about completed.

Since the new library will take a bit out of some parking, the school should really consider constructing a parking garage.

I knew nothing about a new campus entrance, and I'm a grad student at Winthrop! I need to keep up, LOL.

dacus.jpg

Also, the new physical education facility and Owens Hall are just about completed.

Since the new library will take a bit out of some parking, the school should really consider constructing a parking garage.

dacus.jpg

^That aerial is a good find. I see that they are indeed eliminating a road, turning it into a plaza, it appears. Also, it appears as though some parking is going to be eliminated across from the library, where that corner is going to be rounded off and turned into a small gathering space/pocket park of sorts.

The university should also consider stopping freshman from driving. I think that was done once before, before I came to Winthrop.

^That aerial is a good find. I see that they are indeed eliminating a road, turning it into a plaza, it appears. Also, it appears as though some parking is going to be eliminated across from the library, where that corner is going to be rounded off and turned into a small gathering space/pocket park of sorts.

The university should also consider stopping freshman from driving. I think that was done once before, before I came to Winthrop.

Nein, the new student center is being constructed right now in the area that is in the illustration that I posted earlier, the DiGiorgio Campus Center: http://www.winthrop.edu/president/educatio...ampuscenter.htm

The present library, built in a style to deliberately obscure the Gothic education building behind it, because the Winthrop President of the time thought that the modern library look had a greater appeal visually, is slated for destruction.

The present student center, may or may not be destroyed, but the land around it will indeed become a park, and the side street beside it will probably be closed and landscaped.

Heh, the only reason I know is because of the avanlanche of fund raising appeals I get for it. Students once this is built, will have a real sweat set up there, almost makes me wish I was 10 years younger again to check it out.

I imagine the overhaul of the Winthrop campus will do wonders for not only the quality of student life, but the quality of students in today's competitive environment, and should help students find better employment later on.

Archived