Electronics Fans HHGregg Finally in the Triangle!

Alright, so I just got my hands on the latest 3/16/07 Triangle Business Journal and suprise surprise, An article talking about Electronics retailer HHGregg triangle expansion plans is on the front page. Apparently the Retailer similar to Best Buy and Circuit City (Except HH Greggs has way more appliances) has begun scouting sites for around 5 stores. The closest stores are currently is in the Chartotte Metro area which they entered in 2005 and now have 6 stores.

www.triangle.bizjournals.com

I was wondering why HHGregg was taking so long especially since the triangle is showing up on every major retailers radars with all the growth taking place, I can't wait for this new retailing option. :thumbsup:

Suprisingly Fayetteville(my hometown) will have a HHGregg store and some store called Gander Mountain before the triangle in what used to be a Sams there near Cross Creek Mall, it should open later this year.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I don't know much about this company, but I certainly agree Best Buy and Circuit City could use some more competition to knock their prices down (and improve their service).

It'd be real awesome if they did like Costco did in Raleigh and instead of putting their new big box out on the suburban fringe, find some urban infill to put these. :shades:

• 4 months later...

For years I have wondered where is our HHGregg Electronics store, and finally here it cometh. First to North Raleigh.

From this past weekends newspaper I read that HHGregg will open their first triangle store in North Raleigh in the Triangle Towne Center District in the shopping center with the soon to be remoded K-mart. This will be the first of several as of yet undisclosed locations for the retailer.

Ive been to this chain several times in the past and love it.They have the biggest selection of LCD's and HDTV's ever! The closest store currently is in Charlotte and suprisingly Fayettevilles store will open in a couple of months.

Now if we could just get a "Container Store" here. We would be in business. :)

There is already a Best Buy *and* Circuit City near two of the four corner of Capitol and Old Wake Forest, and now HHGregg? What next? A Tweeter behind the Burger King and Arbys on the last remaining corner?

The location is in the middle of a lot of money -- North Raleigh meets Wakefield/Wake Forest/points north meets Knightdale and points east via 540. And there are Rolls Royce, Mercedes and BMW dealerships nearby. But how many people are upgrading their TV sets? From their website, it looks like they don't carry any media like music, movies, games, etc., focusing more on the hardware and appliances.

The redelopment of the K-Mart and now this addition means the Triangle Town Center area, allegedly a focal point of the city of Raleigh, further pushes the area into being sea-of-parking suburban for years to come.

While I'm very much all for additional competition in the electronics & applicance market, webguy's got a good point about that crappy location.

If they were really smart, they'd take advantage of the pending sale and renovation of Holly Park shopping center and it's good location right off the beltline near Costco (and decently close to North Hills). The big empty World Gym slot would work. Just a thought. :dontknow:

I don't think anyone would want to compete directly with Costco, especially with electronics (even if they have a better selection). The ITB areas are not growING now.

It seems to me that the two best places to find people who spend a lot of money on tech things is N. Raleigh/Wakefield or Apex. The numbers probably point to more affluence in the former. Not that I don't hate the specific location, BTW. :)

just had to pop in this thread and say that hhgregg is awesome, blows best buy completely out of the water, i got my samsung hdtv from there.

as for "the container store", thats gonna be pretty far off, my friend works there and i saw their staff meeting notes, they are opening a store up in the philly area and they are opening up another store in the cincinatti area. They CAREFULLY plan out where they open stores are very stingy. Basically, you won't see a container store opening up in nc if nc people arn't shopping at the two in atlanta and the ones in virginia/dc, they want to see that people are travelling to get to their stores. If one did open it would without a doubt be in raleigh, although i would LOVE to see one in cary (waverly place anyone?, :P).

Circuit City's Apex store has been mostly empty the two times i've been in there, but there's no competition near by either.

With the NC 55 widening and NC 540 open to NC 55, that area is drawing a lot of current and new to the area RTP workers.

The Best Buy in Garner near 40/70 is as much for Johnston County residents vs. Wake County.

Maybe HH Gregg would do better in those places, but I'm sure the numbers in that are hard to pass up. My dad was trying to work something out with Johnston Lexus to sell extended warranties, etc. and the number of people making 100k/year+ nearby was mind boggling.

I don't think ITB has to "grow" much to be relevant. Electronics retailers do well in high density areas since people don't spend money on the yard/garden, etc. There is enough money to want to upgrade electronics every few years, and the new condo dwellers will only add to that.

Fry's would be cool, but they seem "too west coast" to open here.

Circuit City's Apex store has been mostly empty the two times i've been in there, but there's no competition near by either.

With the NC 55 widening and NC 540 open to NC 55, that area is drawing a lot of current and new to the area RTP workers.

The Best Buy in Garner near 40/70 is as much for Johnston County residents vs. Wake County.

Maybe HH Gregg would do better in those places, but I'm sure the numbers in that are hard to pass up. My dad was trying to work something out with Johnston Lexus to sell extended warranties, etc. and the number of people making 100k/year+ nearby was mind boggling.

I don't think ITB has to "grow" much to be relevant. Electronics retailers do well in high density areas since people don't spend money on the yard/garden, etc. There is enough money to want to upgrade electronics every few years, and the new condo dwellers will only add to that.

Fry's would be cool, but they seem "too west coast" to open here.

Bleh, the capital Tiger Direct store is terrible. Their prices aren't worth the poor customer service and wait time. I have never gotten through the line in less than fifteen minutes, we once waited 45 before just leaving in disgust. And heaven help you if you have a return or need to get an item that they keep behind the counter.

Looking at Fry's list of stores, there are two in Georgia, and one each in IL and IN. It would be nice to see them open up here, but I could see them opening stores in DC or the NYC metro before here.

CompUSA closed up shop here but left the Greensboro store open, which could be a sign to other retailers that the market is saturated. I think HHGregg opening in Brier Creek may be a better move than the TTC location. Best Buy and Circuit City moved closer to Crabtree just as the area NW of RTP was taking off. There is a good amount of construction on both sides of the Wake/Durham county line there drawing a lot of people new to the area and not loyal to any store.

Looking at Fry's list of stores, there are two in Georgia, and one each in IL and IN. It would be nice to see them open up here, but I could see them opening stores in DC or the NYC metro before here.

CompUSA closed up shop here but left the Greensboro store open, which could be a sign to other retailers that the market is saturated. I think HHGregg opening in Brier Creek may be a better move than the TTC location. Best Buy and Circuit City moved closer to Crabtree just as the area NW of RTP was taking off. There is a good amount of construction on both sides of the Wake/Durham county line there drawing a lot of people new to the area and not loyal to any store.

I heard through the grapevine that HHGregg has been talking to Kane some as well, so there is the possibility that a store will go into North Hills/North Hills East, which I think would be a great location for them, considering that neither Best Buy nor Circuit City have a store there.

Archived