atlrvr

How should it be spelled?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. ????

• Queen Park
    • Queens Park
    • Queen's Park
    • I don't like the name at all.

Ok, with over 57% of the vote, Queen(s) Park was selected as the preferred name of the emerging area south of South End. The basis of the name is the Queen Park movie theatre that was previously there and the sign that still remains. I just want to get consensus on the preferred spelling for the area.

Also, does anyone know of the plan for the old theatre sign? Perhaps a UP campaign to keep the sign is in order.....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, with over 57% of the vote, Queen(s) Park was selected as the preferred name of the emerging area south of South End. The basis of the name is the Queen Park movie theatre that was previously there and the sign that still remains. I just want to get consensus on the preferred spelling for the area.

Also, does anyone know of the plan for the old theatre sign? Perhaps a UP campaign to keep the sign is in order.....

Found this from Dub1 on a quick serach:

The only Charlotte transit projects that will seek funding during the Bush years will be the North line and the Trade Street Streetcar. So near term funding concerns will not dictate what is selected for each corridor. The NE and SE lines are close to a decade away.

Rail seems to be the selected choice because the vehicles have a much longer lifespan, lower maintenance costs, and their better reputation is expected to yield high economic impact/development.

As for the South Line, I'm so excited about the prospect of an Iverson stop and crossing. It makes so much sense, as there is significant development potential, and it is not even close to being served by East/West and New Bern stations. The operation time costs are minimal, as 2 minutes does not hurt its competitiveness with driving. But having an extra station (a privately funded one at that) with all its nearby development of dense housing, retail, and employment, will yield more ridership.

In the meeting they also said that development energy is primarily focusing on Scaleybark through 7th St. The areas south of Scaleybark are not seeing the same level of development participation. But considering those stations primarily focus on feeder busses and park and ride lots, that is probably not that much of a big deal.

The only other point to note is that the QP tower, while cut from funding, just like much of the other art projects, will not be torn down. Instead they will wait to pursue arts funding in the future (They didn't say this, but I'm assuming private funding from developers, which seems very likely).

That news I posted last year should still be valid. The city won't spend money to upgrade or tear down that tower. We just need to hope and campaign that any developers that develop that land restore the tower rather than tear it down.

Originally, in 2004, CATS announced that New York public artist R.M. Fisher was hired to transform the Queen Park sign into something artful as part of the the South LRT project. The artist said he intends to make sure it continues to resonate as a symbol for the area. He has also been commissioned to design and construct a clock for the exterior of the CATS South Tryon Bus Facility.

Because of huge cost overruns on the South LRT project, I am pretty sure the art project was canceled by the city council in 2005 when CATS blew out it's contigency funds. As a result, the fate of this sign is now unclear. Clearly it shouldn't remain there in its deteriorating form, but there now appears to be no money to fix it up. I would hate to see it torn down.

Because of huge cost overruns on the South LRT project, I am pretty sure the art project was canceled by the city council in 2005 when CATS blew out it's contigency funds. As a result, the fate of this sign is now unclear. Clearly it shouldn't remain there in its deteriorating form, but there now appears to be no money to fix it up. I would hate to see it torn down.

Archived