Best Places

Veloise

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bit hard for me to relate to the intensity of some of the negative comments. While it's true that GR is home to the CRC, it's not like people are trying to shove their religion down my throat. In Boston, I had more direct experiences of recruiters trying to get me to join their fringe religions (Boston Church of Christ, Hare Krishna, etc.).

I really think the region's strong religious ties is something that should be celebrated. The churches and congregations of this region have done A LOT for the city. It is something that is just a part of the city's heritage and culture. No offense but if people don't like it, they should just move elsewhere. I don't have a problem with non-Christians living in GR-region but I do have a problem when they criticize an aspect of the city which has been so integral in it's history. Take it for what it is and if you want to avoid it just stay on the east side ;)

I really think the region's strong religious ties is something that should be celebrated. The churches and congregations of this region have done A LOT for the city. It is something that is just a part of the city's heritage and culture. No offense but if people don't like it, they should just move elsewhere. I don't have a problem with non-Christians living in GR-region but I do have a problem when they criticize an aspect of the city which has been so integral in it's history. Take it for what it is and if you want to avoid it just stay on the east side ;)

While religion itself may not lead to uniquness, the congregations, churches, and places of worship themselves still lend themselves in helping GR create a individual character. Where would GR be without places like Fountain Street church or Catholic Central?

Another thing to keep in mind too is that every region of the country is practically dominated by some sort of religion. In West Michigan its the CRC but in a place like NW Ohio its the Lutherans and Utah of course is Mormon.

I guess it depends on whether newcomers want to engage with the community. Personally, I tend to keep to myself so maybe that's why being an agnostic in this region has not been a problem for me. I'd rather have churches with strict doctrine be exclusionary and insular, rather than the other extreme of people (who have good intentions) coming to my door and trying to offer me salvation.

Archived