New Football Practice Facility

wolverine

Wow this is bigger than Yost, it will definitely be visible in the neighborhood. I like it. It blends well with the rest of the athletic campus

From U of M PlantExt

The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is constructing a new, approximately 104,000-gross-square-foot field house along with renovating approximately 3,000 gross square feet of space in the Schembechler Hall locker room. The new facility will include a full-size indoor practice field for football as well as a lobby, vestibule, public restrooms and storage space. In order to accommodate the new building, the outdoor practice area will be relocated to the adjacent soccer field as part of this project. The project also will include the addition of approximately 20 new parking spaces.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great looking design. That will add to the nice streetwall along State.

Also, I love the UM Plant Extension Projects site. What fun.

From the site - the addition to the Kelsey Museum should be nice too.

Oh...soccer will just have to accept their place in the atheltics food chain at UM. :P

Great looking design. That will add to the nice streetwall along State.

Also, I love the UM Plant Extension Projects site. What fun.

From the site - the addition to the Kelsey Museum should be nice too.

Oh...soccer will just have to accept their place in the atheltics food chain at UM. :P

It supposed to be seamless. Aren't they using the same type of fieldstone on the addition?

Speaking of cars and traffic, this facility will add only 20 spaces. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when that 'Academic Center' or whatever it was called was built next to Yost, there was an argument over the loss of convenient parking next to the arena. Much of it wasn't replaced because the lot became a street. So basically, is this just a replacement for those spaces? I can't see them being used by anyone except utility vehicles.

I'm happy to see the athletic campus become more crowded from an urban standpoint. Density is great, but it seems like parking is starting to become a huge problem around there even on non-game days for students with permits. You think it's time South Campus receives its first parking structure?

I wouldn't be so concerned about parking if the university actually had an alternative plan. I and many others have endured the annoyance of overcrowded buses. The whole light rail system to link South to Central to North has barely left the concept stage. So I'm not really seeing any solution than build more parking structures that fit well within the urban landscape.

I'd like State Street to be widened with a center turn lane. That way cars don't cut into the bike lanes when trying to go around vehicles that are turning. Part of the issue is the Stadium Blvd overpass which the city plans on reconstructing in the near future. It currently restricts the size of State street, and there is barely any sidewalk space beneath it.

Archived