Triad Events

JerseyBoy

Did any other UPer's go to the Winston-Salem Air Show this weekend? I went Sunday and had a good time AFTER the NIGHTMARE of traffic and parking!!!

It took me approximately one hour to go from the Business 40/US52 interchange to a parking space. Parking was scarce and event-run parking was EXTREMELY poorly managed. I had told some friends in Hickory about this event and it took them 2 hours to go from the Village Tavern on Stratford Rd to the airport.

While I hope they keep running this event, something must be done to handle the crowds they got Sunday. I don't think they were expecting what they got and were poorly equiped to handle what they had, several parking lots had empty spaces but were blocked off from access.

I had very negative comments from my friends on the airport, the city, and the planning of this event. I hope they remedy this next year so I may feel comfortable inviting out of town folks in 2010. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 months later...

StoryCorps will be in downtown Winston-Salem thru March 21st recording stories from people in the area. This is a national oral history project with all the recordings being sent to the Library of Congress. Some will be selected to be broadcast on NPR.

They are taking appointments if you, or someone you know, has a story you'd like to tell about your life. To make an appointment, call 800-850-4406 or visit www.storycorps.net.

Read about it here.

StoryCorps will be in downtown Winston-Salem thru March 21st recording stories from people in the area. This is a national oral history project with all the recordings being sent to the Library of Congress. Some will be selected to be broadcast on NPR.

They are taking appointments if you, or someone you know, has a story you'd like to tell about your life. To make an appointment, call 800-850-4406 or visit www.storycorps.net.

Read about it here.

Funny you should bring this up as I'm a part of the Winston-Salem version, Storybus, of this great project. We're actually going to be talking with the heads of StoryCorps when they're at town at Krankies soon. You can see the progress we're making on our mobile-recording studio that will be driven around town to record people's memories and stories here:

http://flickr.com/photos/cosmophotos/sets/72157613860819170/

http://flickr.com/photos/cosmophotos/sets/72157614261801920/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Nanotechnology group to hold national conference in Greensboro.

"In a news release, the foundation says that Greensboro’s Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering and RF Micro Devices are among the organizations that make this state a significant player along with UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke University.

“No other region in the world is such a highly concentrated hub of MNT action,”

This is a big deal for Greensboro because the city and the area is beginning to become a hotbed for nanotechnology.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/01/06/article/group_focused_on_nanotechnology_to_hold_national_conference_in_greensboro

• 2 weeks later...

Nanotechnology group to hold national conference in Greensboro.

"In a news release, the foundation says that Greensboro’s Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering and RF Micro Devices are among the organizations that make this state a significant player along with UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke University.

“No other region in the world is such a highly concentrated hub of MNT action,”

This is a big deal for Greensboro because the city and the area is beginning to become a hotbed for nanotechnology.

http://www.news-reco...e_in_greensboro

This is great. I did some research on RF Micro and it already employs a good number of people and it continues to grow. According to this article, its shares are growing Also, do you know the seating capacity of the new buildings?

This is great. I did some research on RF Micro and it already employs a good number of people and it continues to grow. According to this article, its shares are growing Also, do you know the seating capacity of the new buildings?

My only hope is that another company in another city never aquires RF Micro and move the headquarters away from Greensboro. RF Micro is a great success story. It started out as a very small company in Greensboro in the 1990s and today it is an international company with facilities not only in Greensboro but in California, the UK and Asia.

not sure on the capacity.

Edited by cityboi

• 8 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • JerseyBoy unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Greensboro lands major soccer tournament. Adult Soccer Fest is usually held in major destination cities such as Las Vegas or Honolulu. Thousands of athletes and the families are coming from across the country to the event and the city of Greensboro is using it as a marketing tool to attract businesses and residents. These visitors will also come to downtown. Speaking of which, this could help efforts for a downtown soccer stadium that city staff is proposing. 

The 5 day event starts July 12 and ends July 16 on Sunday. Greensboro will also host the tournament next year as well.

https://www.adultsoccerfest.com/

Adult Soccer Fest

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/greensboro/greensboro-leaders-using-soccer-tournament-to-attract-new-residents-businesses/

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1