Shelby Farms

Rardy

Recent articles in the CA and today's MBJ talked about the Shelby Farms Conservancy which has just taken control of every aspect of Shelby Farms - everything from administration to management to future vision.

The new website, www.shelbyfarmspark.org, has more info.

The next level begins with the creation of a master plan for the park, something that hasn't existed before, Adams noted, and will be modeled after similar plans for renowned urban parks such as Central Park in New York City.

"Shelby Farms has been - until, really, the development of a conservation easement and the establishment of the conservancy - an accidental park," Adams said. "It was a penal farm. Then the land became surplus. There were multiple proposals over the years to do certain things at the park, like planned communities and roads and other things. When new things were added, they were not added according to any comprehensive plan."

The most crucial, purposeful moment in Shelby Farms' history happened last December when the Shelby County Commission approved that conservation easement Adams referenced, which in effect locks out residential and commercial development for at least 50 years.

For once, a broader picture of the park emerged.

"The easement prohibits the worst kind of development that people might imagine," Adams said. "There can never be a Wal-Mart, there can never be a strip mall or apartments or a hotel."

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a good deal to hand this over to a non-profit. Public-private partnerships can be very good arrangements for everyone if done right, and it definitely appears this will be done right. This group seems like exactly what you would want. They have a plan and have already moved ahead on the communications front with a very slick and professional looking website.

On a sidenote: How often do you see Mayor AC Wharton get the Jr. tacked onto his name in news articles? I think this is the first time I have seen, or at least noticed, that.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you still go horseback riding at shelby farms and if so how much does it cost? I remember it being $5 for an hour but i might be wrong. Shelby Farms is an amazing asset to the community. I also heard rumors that the Midsouth fair was going to relocate there. Where is it being held this year? Anybody know?

Can you still go horseback riding at shelby farms and if so how much does it cost? I remember it being $5 for an hour but i might be wrong. Shelby Farms is an amazing asset to the community. I also heard rumors that the Midsouth fair was going to relocate there. Where is it being held this year? Anybody know?

Archived