$14 million project on Music Row

barakat

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I wish they would do is come up with some type of uniform requirement for new construction on the Row. My office is in one of the cool old houses that Music Row is known for and really adds charm and architectual significance to the area. But just across the alley, the city is allowing a truly ugly 3 story brick box to be constructed smack dab between two of these houses. On top of that, there's a mixture of almost every style of hideous non-signifcant architecture you can think of. Music Row could really be a quaint, eye-pleasing part of our community, yet we continue to allow people to throw up anything they want. Hopefully, this new construction will be better than some in the past.

One thing I wish they would do is come up with some type of uniform requirement for new construction on the Row. My office is in one of the cool old houses that Music Row is known for and really adds charm and architectual significance to the area. But just across the alley, the city is allowing a truly ugly 3 story brick box to be constructed smack dab between two of these houses. On top of that, there's a mixture of almost every style of hideous non-signifcant architecture you can think of. Music Row could really be a quaint, eye-pleasing part of our community, yet we continue to allow people to throw up anything they want. Hopefully, this new construction will be better than some in the past.

Your area of Music Row is interesting because....over many years.....business owners worked to conver the character from single family to business. Some of this was illegal...long ago....the result..however....was the creation of a business district. I believe that the zoning is commercial-CF

Actions:

Zoning - CF? I beleive this area is also part of the urban zoning overlay. The UZO does not address architecture

Talk to the Planning Department staff about the possibilities of an urban design overlay...this could address some basic architectural standards and guidelines.

Much of Music Row is actually part of a historic conservation district formed in 1997. It is described at

http://www.nashville.gov/mhc/mhzc_district...h_music_row.htm

I'm not sure whether this property falls within it or not. As I recall the Language Institute is probably non-conforming (i.e., not a building protected from being demolished) but any replacement structure may have to conform with the conservation zoning requirements. A lot of the bad infill in Music Row area was done before the zoning and was actually one of the reasons the conservation district was adopted.

Archived