In New Jersey, the

urbanaturalist

Article about providing some rooftop greenery and open space for dense New Jersey. There is so much potential for rooftops that is not being exploited whether on new buildings or old flat roof rowhouses. If done right the rooftop can be an important part of sustainability in the state as well as for aesthetic reasons and human and animal utilization. Even in places way less dense than New Jersey this is something that should be implemented on a large scale in other states.

In New Jersey, the

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a nice thing to have yes. Anywhere really, not just New Jersey. Though parts of NJ could benefit from this idea more than other areas of the country.

The question becomes, how many people actually want to be on the roof of a building much less have greenery on it? And then, there's the safety hazard of being X feet off the ground with nothing preventing you from jumping/falling over the edge.

It is a nice thing to have yes. Anywhere really, not just New Jersey. Though parts of NJ could benefit from this idea more than other areas of the country.

The question becomes, how many people actually want to be on the roof of a building much less have greenery on it? And then, there's the safety hazard of being X feet off the ground with nothing preventing you from jumping/falling over the edge.

Rooftops have been used for hangout, grilling, smoking, whatever spots for generations. I know a guy in Hoboken who recently transformed his rooftop into a huge patio with some greenery. I think it's a great use of the space and certainly if we covered it all with greenery there'd be less heat absorbtion. As for safety from burglars, most of these spaces are only open to the residents of the building and I doubt that would change. Of course such policy is no substitute for bars and good renters insurance!

If a burglar can make it to the roof somehow then I bet he could easily have just broken into an apartment below much easier. It's not like starting on the roof will somehow make a burglary easier, unless spiderman is breaking in.

I would love love love to have an open rooftop. I'd plan rows and rows of pepper plants and put in a hottub.

Archived