Discussion: Calhoun & Chiquola Condo's

ab1137

From AIM: "Planning for a shuttle system comes at a time when more people are expected to move downtown once renovations to the former Calhoun and Chiquola hotels are completed. Both sites are being converted into condominiums. Plans for a downtown parking deck at the corner of South Murray Avenue and West Whitner Street also are in motion."

I've wanted some other opinions on these 2 projects, So I'll pose these questions:

Do you feel these condo's will really increase occupancy in downtown areas?

Do you believe Andersons market can support $250/ sq. ft residences - or will one of these projects fail?

What are your likes and dislikes of these 2 projects?

I'll have a few more later, but lets start with those.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really do think Anderson needs a parking deck downtown. I had to try and find a parking space at around 4:00 P.M. the other day and it was horrible around the courthouse. A parking deck would help relieve some of this congestion. With more people living downtown with recent construction then it will just add to the traffic.

It will take a few years to fill in the occupancy, but the numbers of people and residences in the immediate downtown area will increase.

If Anderson can support Watermarke, which is greater than $250/square foot, it should be no problem downtown.

Both projects transforming older buildings into downtown residences is very positive. It undoubtedly will stimulate growth. The need for more parking increases, and the announced parking deck at South Murray and West Whitener will fulfill that need. I would add a second deck in a few years to accomodate additional parking. I also desire to see more midrise residential towers that can add some neoclassical flare to downtown.

I agree with Bo. I think the market will support them at least over time. I think the Chiquola is almost sold out. I haven't heard much out of the Calhoun which leads me to believe they are selling slowly. To me it is a less attractive project anyway.

I heard a rumor that a second deck is under consideration. I'm not sure where. Perhaps as part of the Belk's site?

I'd like to see some mid-rise stuff in downtown too. If there is no hotel with the Belk's site - then surely one quality boutique style hotel would do well downtown. At present there aren't any quality rooms, are there?

I would also think a few mid-rise apartments targeting University or recent grads might do well.

I agree with Bo. I think the market will support them at least over time. I think the Chiquola is almost sold out. I haven't heard much out of the Calhoun which leads me to believe they are selling slowly. To me it is a less attractive project anyway.

I heard a rumor that a second deck is under consideration. I'm not sure where. Perhaps as part of the Belk's site?

I'd like to see some mid-rise stuff in downtown too. If there is no hotel with the Belk's site - then surely one quality boutique style hotel would do well downtown. At present there aren't any quality rooms, are there?

I would also think a few mid-rise apartments targeting University or recent grads might do well.

If Spartanburg was able to get a Marriott downtown for Renaissance Park, Anderson can undoutbedly do the same. An eight to ten level, 140 unit hotel would work well. The Belk site would be perfect for this, but several other sites exist.

Anderson Regional Area Transportation Study/Urban Planet: Anderson Area Transit: An item of this study was the possibility of light rail from Anderon to Clemson. This would be on the Norfolk Southern line running through Sandy Srpings, Pendleton, Clemson and Seneca. If someone massively redeveloped the former WestPoint Stevens facility into a massive residential/retail/university extension district, CAT could easily connect.

Archived