Winston-Salem may annex land by June

twincity

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winston-Salem might as well annex all the property along Peter's Creek to Davidson Co. All the development down there will soon be continous all the way to downtown. If you look at the map, it's almost like little islands down there where the city has annexed certain developments.

Not to mention, if you live in one of these areas and need the police/sheriff, they'll argue with you on the phone over who's territory it is!!! :shok:

When I last visited Winston, I noticed that I could see the Winston skyline all the way to the county line on Peters Creek Parkway. In the past, the dense tree cover prevented you from seeing the skyline, but now so much land has been cleared that you can see the towers downtown.

Maybe that could be the annexation strategy - anywhere that the skylin is visible from is subject to annexation. Of course, you can see the skyline from 311 near the High Point/Guilford Co line and on a clear day from Roaring Gap in Allegheny County. And, I guess by that strategy, Charlotte would be huge and Durham and Greensboro would shrink.

Skyline visibility depends on where you are in any city. Depending on where you come from, Charlotte's skyline isn't visible until you are only a couple of miles from downtown on either side, and we know their downtown is (comparatively) huge. Greensboro's skyline coming from the north can be seen from out past the old Carolina Circle Mall site and north of Cone Boulevard on Church and Yanceyville Streets. From the south, you can see an excellent view of the skyline from just inside new I-85 on 421. Theoretically if there were no hills and no trees, you could probably do a 180 in Kernersville and see all of skylines in the Triad. Sorry - this is irrelevant to the posting!

I agree, though... that would be an interesting strategy.

Maybe that could be the annexation strategy - anywhere that the skylin is visible from is subject to annexation. Of course, you can see the skyline from 311 near the High Point/Guilford Co line and on a clear day from Roaring Gap in Allegheny County. And, I guess by that strategy, Charlotte would be huge and Durham and Greensboro would shrink.

That is true, i have done that drive before... but I am just saying that it depends on where you are. Coming from either end of 85, you dont see skyline until you get on 77 going into downtown in Clt.

Actually, I can see the Charlotte skyline far out. Coming from the east on Highway 74, I first glimpse the Charlotte skyline right over the Union COunty line in Matthews before Matthews Township Festival shopping center. THis is at least 10 miles from Uptown Charlotte, if not more.

• 1 month later...

I herd that It's now going Back to court, I wish People would just stop crying and just let the city Annex them.

Some people just hate change. They have no vision. I seriously doubt this will go back to court. I think the final decision has been made.

^ thats goes for the forsyth county commissioners also. did you read that story on how they passed a powerless bill against forced annexation? what a joke.

wxii had a story on how city trash trucks were making mock routes in the new areas. right now, it sounds pretty definite.

Skyline visibility depends on where you are in any city. Depending on where you come from, Charlotte's skyline isn't visible until you are only a couple of miles from downtown on either side, and we know their downtown is (comparatively) huge.

A small portion of Charlotte's skyline (primarily the top of BOA, maybe Hearst) is visible from exit 85 on I-77 N in York County, SC.

Twin City what do you think Winston pop will be when they annex, and also how close willl be be to GSO

WOW, 20,000 behind GSO. Who know's, Winston may someday be larger than GSO. I realize that Winstons downtown is already larger than GSO but I had no idea that the population of WS was only 20,000 behind GSO.

If Winston pop is only that far behind Greensboros, that is a lil scary. G-boro has been the third largest for a while and now it's possible that in the next decade or so, Winston or Durham may be fighting for that position.

^ Ive been saying this for the longest but no GSO members believed me. Im glad somebody else realizes that the 3-5 cities can change rank at anytime.

i do predict though, that if W-S's population gets to close to GSO's, they will annex like crazy to stay the Triad's largest.

Although Forsyth is smaller than Guilford in land and population, Forsyth has a more robust growth rate. Winston should therefore annex in accordance with Forsyth's higher growth rate and population boom. I would like to see Winston annex to have a population of over 250,000 in the next few years. Winston is definitely taking it to the next level.

Archived