Hill Place

Rice Brewer

I *know* that there is a thread in here regarding Aspen Ridge but I can't seem to find it. So, here it is again....

Walked through this development a few days ago and this thing looks to be dead (now that I say that, watch constructions crews show up bright and early Monday morning...).

Consider:

Some 6' metal fencing is up by the RR tracks but a good 500' of 6' sections are laying in the weeds and it appears that they have been there for a long time.

Some retaining walls are already failing.

I drive past this project on a weekly basis and have not seen ANY acticity since the first of the year.

It seems that what advertising they had for this project has ceased - or have I just missed it?

Anybody have any good / better info on ths project?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I *know* that there is a thread in here regarding Aspen Ridge but I can't seem to find it. So, here it is again....

Walked through this development a few days ago and this thing looks to be dead (now that I say that, watch constructions crews show up bright and early Monday morning...).

Consider:

Some 6' metal fencing is up by the RR tracks but a good 500' of 6' sections are laying in the weeds and it appears that they have been there for a long time.

I drive past this project on a weekly basis and have not seen ANY acticity since the first of the year.

It seems that what advertising they had for this project has ceased - or have I just missed it?

Consider:

• 1 month later...
Yeah I saw that. I guess it's good thing that the city has improved things so that something like this can't happen again. It sounds like Hank Broyles had been involved early on but then was bought out. Looks like he might eventually get involved again to get this project possibly going. I hope he changes the name. I can't quite understand the reasoning with putting aspen in the name. Sure it's a nice tree, but what does it have to do with our area? What is it, 1,000 miles to the closest aspen tree?

Evidently steps have been taken to keep a repeat of this from happening. After rereading the article I see that this was approved under a older RZP ordinance and now there are expiration dates by which work must be completed, although if a developer goes bankrupt it might not matter what the dates are.

Maybe they were wanting to make someone from Colorado feel at home with that name :)

The Arkansas River Valley has the 2nd highest concentration of Aspen trees in the Southern states. There are also quite a few Aspen trees in southern Missouri right down to the Arkansas state line. But I get what you're saying... Colorado does have the highest concentration of Aspen trees in the country.

Are we talking about the same tree? I did do some research and came up with a different species of aspen I wasn't familiar with. The one I always think of is the quaking aspen found in the Rockies. But there's a big tooth aspen as well in the eastern US. But it's mainly in the north and then in parts of the Appalachias in the south. But I haven't seen any mention of any being any near us.

I guess I was referring to the Central Hardwood Region which includes the Ouachita and Ozark plateaus. Evidently the Quaking Aspen is one of the 100 most popular trees planted by the US Forestry Service and lumber companies due to its rapid growth rate. So, I guess you won't find any 'native' Aspen forests outside of the Rockies or far North, but there are still some Quaking Aspens to be found in Arkansas and Missouri.

The information I was going by referred to an "Aspen-Birch Group" but it doesn't specify what that means or what kind of Aspen its talking about. So, it must be the Bigtooth Aspen's they're talking about. Evidently, the Quaking Aspen won't grow below 1,500 ft. elevation unless in Canada or Alaska.

Ah, I bet in our area it's referring more to birch trees. The Ozarks are referred to as an oak-hickory forest, because those are the two most prominent trees. But those trees aren't necessarily related. I don't think they're very common but yeah I think you do find some birch trees in a few pockets of the Ozarks. Anyway sorry to get this topic off on a tangent.

KNWA is reporting that the developers are in a lawsuit now trying to figure out who to blame over the problems. I believe they also mentioned that if things aren't settled soon that the property might just end up being sold to someone else. Sounds like that might be the best option at this point.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like they are going to do some sort of student housing project on the site now. It will be more dense that the old plan of townhouses but will take up less green space. There will be around 20 buildings when finished, which is less than the 39 buildings propsed for the original plan, but these buildings will be much bigger. I wonder if that means much taller? There will be less impervious surfaces as well. This will allow for better drainage. This seems like a reasonable solution for the area. It helps the housing demand for the University and will provide a nice infill project.

Here is more info from the Times: Aspen Ridge

Looks like they are going to do some sort of student housing project on the site now. It will be more dense that the old plan of townhouses but will take up less green space. There will be around 20 buildings when finished, which is less than the 39 buildings proposed for the original plan, but these buildings will be much bigger. I wonder if that means much taller? There will be less impervious surfaces as well. This will allow for better drainage. This seems like a reasonable solution for the area. It helps the housing demand for the University and will provide a nice infill project.

Here is more info from the Times: Aspen Ridge

• 2 weeks later...

A little more info slowing coming out on this development. It will now be called Hill Place and it will consist of 288 units instead of the proposed 220 townhouse units. They will be fewer buildings involved as well. From the original 39 to 17. So each building will be much taller that the 2 story townhouses but they never mentioned how tall. 4-5 story builings would be a guess. There will also be lots of greenspace involved.

Here is more from the Times: Hill Place

Rod, if you can, you might want to change the name from Aspen Ridge to Hill Place and put the former Aspen Ridge project in the info line. Just a suggestion. :thumbsup:

Archived