NikeTown Memphis

The Memphian

:unsure: I was reading an article about the new Nike distribution center being built here. The article mentioned that Memphis would be the #2 Nike city behind the home base oregon location. If we are the #2 Nike location in america should we not have a NikeTown? It would be progressive thinking IMO for the CCC to pursue landing a NikeTown Downtown.

These stores are like theme parks- a wonderland for shoppers, featuring all things Nike. This would certainly seem to fit on large scale the current proposals from the CCC to attract more retail Downtown, and would add to the attractions we can offer tourist & residents. This is the kind of retail Memphis should want & have. Here's the link

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...icle/0,1426,MCA

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:unsure: I was reading an article about the new Nike distribution center being built here. The article mentioned that Memphis would be the #2 Nike city behind the home base oregon location. If we are the #2 Nike location in america should we not have a NikeTown? It would be progressive thinking IMO for the CCC to pursue landing a NikeTown Downtown.

These stores are like theme parks- a wonderland for shoppers, featuring all things Nike. This would certainly seem to fit on large scale the current proposals from the CCC to attract more retail Downtown, and would add to the attractions we can offer tourist & residents. This is the kind of retail Memphis should want & have. Here's the link

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...icle/0,1426,MCA

The NikeTown I went to in Atlanta was just overpriced Nike stuff. Maybe it would be a good fit for Downtown, hell any national retailer would be good for downtown. In other nike news, there''s a billboard that's advertising a Nike clearance store coming to town

I've been to a Niketown before, and I don't think they are all that wonderful. Growing up, a lot of my friends parents who worked for Nike had sales at their homes where you could get the hottest styles for cheap. That was a nice perk. However, Nike really hasn't been in style for years. It used to be the "it" brand, now it doesn't really matter anymore. I don't know if the Nike employees in Memphis still have the sales at their homes, but I can guess if they do they don't attract the people they did when I was a kid.

I'm not sure being the number two Nike center equates into the ability of Memphis to draw and sustain a Niketown, esp. if it is a bigger market and higher end store. Its definitely something to look into though for downtown Memphis or anywhere else they might be interested in locating within the city proper.

Archived