The Buddy Thread

quente

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great article! i wasn't here while buddy was in office, so i don't know anything about how he ran the city... only stories about the good ole boy network and that sort of thing. but here's a question... he has maintained his innocence. was he truly innocent and basically a scapegoat for the feds?

the good old boy network that was in place

great article! i wasn't here while buddy was in office, so i don't know anything about how he ran the city... only stories about the good ole boy network and that sort of thing. but here's a question... he has maintained his innocence. was he truly innocent and basically a scapegoat for the feds?

was in place? i'd venture to say that a lot of that is still in place, even with out buddy in office.

one other thing that came from the article is his relationship with pavalino. they used to be foes according to the article and now they seem to be best friends. what's up with that?

i also found it funny that paolino doesn't think cicilline is doing enough to revitalize downtown... while he sits on several surface parking lots, which certainly aren't helping the matter.

Interesting. Did anyone hear read the Prince of Providence? He comes off as a corrupt, self-loving slimeball who was willing to let the less visible parts of the city slump and democracy to fade in order to pump up himself and feed his power and ego. Now that's of course only the negative side and of course you can point to some great things he did for the city. I wasn't here when he was, so he never flirted with or charmed me. But big picture, the guy was a criminal and Providence is lucky he was put away (imho). If you read that book and look at the facts you certainly don't few him as a scapegoat.

Interesting. Did anyone hear read the Prince of Providence? He comes off as a corrupt, self-loving slimeball who was willing to let the less visible parts of the city slump and democracy to fade in order to pump up himself and feed his power and ego. Now that's of course only the negative side and of course you can point to some great things he did for the city. I wasn't here when he was, so he never flirted with or charmed me. But big picture, the guy was a criminal and Providence is lucky he was put away (imho). If you read that book and look at the facts you certainly don't few him as a scapegoat.

:( Liam: I must presume that you are articulating the attitude of the jury that found him innocent of all the specific charges but still guilty on the umbrella charge. It would take a lot of serious evidence to convince me that Buddy didn't receive an extremely raw deal. Am I fitting him for a halo? No. Did I like and admire him. Oh, yeah!

I agree it was a raw deal. I do not feel that they they proved him guilty. I am sure that there was some wrong doing, but I don't feel it was proven in court and I don't feel it was a legitimate conviction. If they had proved the case he would wouldn't have only been convicted of the umbrella charge. I am 100% positive that there was corruption in his administration, but it never kept me from voting for him. Warts and all I love Buddy and I am glad to see him home. I think that Cicciline has been a good change for the city and that he has helped move things in the right direction.

I have been listening with great interest to the non-natives take on Buddy. He is such an integral part of the city that I never thought about how some people know Providence without him. It seems like it was just yesterday that they sent him away. Buddy is as much a part of the personality of the city as any of the neighborhoods are. Get ready!

one other thing that came from the article is his relationship with pavalino. they used to be foes according to the article and now they seem to be best friends. what's up with that?

i also found it funny that paolino doesn't think cicilline is doing enough to revitalize downtown... while he sits on several surface parking lots, which certainly aren't helping the matter.

• 2 weeks later...
it just really *#%!! me so that anyone could think waterplace park looks good. I try to give the new buildings the benifit of improving seeing as thou they are not offically done yet, but it's not happening. When it comes to adding "much needed modern architiecture to the city". what has ended up happening is that we got what we deserved which was not really very good modern architecture.... to be in partnership with some of the most beautiful buildings in New England if not the country, Waterplace Park needed to be spectacular, and we should not of accepted anything less, modern or not modern, it's just unfortunate that the rest of us have to look at it so modern archituecture can "live on in Providence" :wacko:

Archived