The Buddy Thread

quente

it just really *#%!! me so that anyone could think waterplace park looks good. I try to give the new buildings the benifit of improving seeing as thou they are not offically done yet, but it's not happening. When it comes to adding "much needed modern architiecture to the city". what has ended up happening is that we got what we deserved which was not really very good modern architecture.... to be in partnership with some of the most beautiful buildings in New England if not the country, Waterplace Park needed to be spectacular, and we should not of accepted anything less, modern or not modern, it's just unfortunate that the rest of us have to look at it so modern archituecture can "live on in Providence" :wacko:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few people have said to me (or near me) that the Waterplace Towers are ugly, and that they shouldn't have been built.

This comment really bothers me because saying something is ugly is by definition a matter of opinion, and saying something shouldn't have been built because one thinks that it is ugly is very frustrating to me. If they had instead said, "I don't like the windows," or "I do not like the pattern on the exterior," fine, but to say it shouldn't have been built tells me one thinks it will not contribute positively at all to its surroundings.

As far as my opinion, I agree with basachs that all brick and faux historical would indeed bore me to tears as well. Am I blown away by the design? Not yet, but I'm reserving my judgement until I see how it interacts at street/waterplace level when it's all done.

I agree with the sentiment that not every building has to be an example of world-class architecture.

Look around NYC. Yes, there are Great Buildings, but the other 150,000 are just bland or even ugly. Same with Boston, San Francisco, Paris, etc. That's just the way it goes. It's nothing to get worked up about.

Providence is so small that people can get fixated on individual buildings. That is not a good tendency if Providence is to grow into the city it deserves to be. Then again, maybe a lot of people don't want the Big Little to grow. It often seems that is the case.

i never understood the fixation with how buildings must be world class in order to be built here. sure, we should strive for the best, but in many cases, that will turn developers away. gtech and waterplace, while not the best looking buildings work well with the surroundings and interact quite well with the ground level (i realize waterplace is not finished yet, but i do like how the ground floor section is coming along next to the riverwalk).

as has been said twice now... if every building was that faux historic brick look of the westin, the mall, and the courtyard, this city would be quite boring (though i'm sure david brussat disagrees and would probably think he died and went to heaven).

the real beauty of most cities is not seen from above and afar, but experienced at the street level. it's the interaction of the street level of the buildings that can really make or break the building. sure, a completely horrendous building may not be helped much, but a great interaction with the street level could do wonders for a building. i was in the mall (because my mother wanted to go and she was visiting for her birthday) with my aunt, mother, and brother. my aunt lives in warwick. she was saying how she doesn't like the new buildings (waterplace and gtech). she didn't really give a reason why, but seemed to imply that it was simply because of the added density and less "open space". i also once had someone tell me (who grew up in pawtucket) that downtown providence looked better before the mall and continued to show me a picture of downtown with the big parking lots where the mall used to be. to each his/her own i guess.

Are you speaking more to the Gtech building or the Waterplace Condo towers? Personally I like them all quite a bit. I agree with most everyone else that Gtech should be taller, but by and large they look good to me. If we demanded that nothing be built there unless it was 100% world class architecture we would still be looking and empty lots 20 years from now. Not that we should just accept anything that comes along (like the hideous AmEx bldg) but you need to be flexible at times.

Likewise, I do think that the street scene on the opposite side of the buildings should have been considered more carefully, and I think if I had the choice, I'd trade these buildings for a project like 110 Westminster or The Empire at Broadway that contributes more directly to the core of downtown. But, as stated previously, this is not a perfect world, and personally I'm fine with this outcome.

A few people have said to me (or near me) that the Waterplace Towers are ugly, and that they shouldn't have been built.

This comment really bothers me because saying something is ugly is by definition a matter of opinion, and saying something shouldn't have been built because one thinks that it is ugly is very frustrating to me. If they had instead said, "I don't like the windows," or "I do not like the pattern on the exterior," fine, but to say it shouldn't have been built tells me one thinks it will not contribute positively at all to its surroundings.

Some folks do not know how to tell why they don't like something--they just know they do not like it. It is like eating something you don't like. You might not know that it is cilantro or rat droppings, or anchovies, you just know there's something about it that tastes funny. The same thing probably happens with buildings. I don't like those buildings because they look like state college dormatories from the 70s and early 80s.

I think some buildings look better during different parts of the day. I see waterplace looking good during days with blue skies and white cumulous clouds scattered.. and especially during sunsets. (The colors of the sunset and building go well together like in the renders). On the other hand, on cloudy nasty days and most of the winter... I dont think it'll be that attractive.

For other buildings in the city.. like the Westin and BoA.. I think they look best at night when lit, or even during the winter after a snowstorm..

Former Providence Mayor Vincent Buddy Cianci will be resuming his talk-show career at WPRO. He'll start September 20.

Cianci, who got out of federal prison this spring, will host a show in a time slot that has yet to be determined. The station manager today said a decision would be made in two weeks.

Perhaps when the tax deal runs out for G-Tech in 5 years and they eventually move out of state and assuming RI breaks out of its vicious anti-business climate and huge deficit that hinders any true economic development...

• 1 month later...

From the above article. Vintage Cianci! I almost fell outta my chair. :lol:

Settling into his coffee with a side of tomato juice, Cianci was asked by a reporter if he encountered much homosexual activity during his four years and six months in the federal prison in New Jersey, where he served his sentence after his 2002 conviction on federal racketeering charges.

• 9 months later...

Archived