Clarksville's proposed events center project dead-ends

Rural King

A proposed multi-use events center propsoed for Claksville has been canceled after the prime developer pulled out. The firm, Global Entertainment, out of Phoenix, Arizona cited lack of city and community support in the form of subsidies for the project as the reason for their withdrawel. While the local Clarksville-Montgomery Sports Authority and Clarksville-Mongomery Economic Development Council cite the lack of a willing retail developer to put in the funds to make up any projected short-fall for the facility.

Global Entertainment wanted the city to fund the shortfall, which the city was unwilling to do. A retail component would have generated the extra sales tax revenue needed to cover a shortfall.

The EDC only plans to pursue self-sustaining projects at this point in time according to the article.

Read the story here:

Clarksville Leaf-Chronicle

Sidenotes

The Clarksville-Montgomery County Sports Authority is now inactive until future need arises. It was created to help shepard this project.

A study done in relation to this project found that Clarksville loses $100 million dollars annually to the city of Nashville in lost entertainment dollars.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A proposed multi-use events center propsoed for Claksville has been canceled after the prime developer pulled out. The firm, Global Entertainment, out of Phoenix, Arizona cited lack of city and community support in the form of subsidies for the project as the reason for their withdrawel. While the local Clarksville-Montgomery Sports Authority and Clarksville-Mongomery Economic Development Council cite the lack of a willing retail developer to put in the funds to make up any projected short-fall for the facility.

Global Entertainment wanted the city to fund the shortfall, which the city was unwilling to do. A retail component would have generated the extra sales tax revenue needed to cover a shortfall.

The EDC only plans to pursue self-sustaining projects at this point in time according to the article.

Read the story here:

Clarksville Leaf-Chronicle

Sidenotes

The Clarksville-Montgomery County Sports Authority is now inactive until future need arises. It was created to help shepard this project.

A study done in relation to this project found that Clarksville loses $100 million dollars annually to the city of Nashville in lost entertainment dollars.

The problem in Clarksville is it's hard to convince a company to come to a town that is so dependant on Fort Campbell and it's soldiers being there on a consistant basis. In today's world, these soldiers come and go like the seasons almost and no company is willing to set up shop in a city where they openly admit that when the army base is deployed, they "hurt" for business sometimes. That is just simple economics for most. Clarksville is much like Murfreesboro in that as long as Nashville continues to grow and expand it's borders, it will always depend on it for most things.

Actually, sales tax revenue increased in Clarksville during this last deployment. Clarksville is not as dependent on the military as it once was. And as far as population, there are still probably 75,000 residents in the city that have no affiliation with Ft. Campbell. So, I think using Ft. Campbell as an excuse for Clarksville's shortcomings is not valid anymore. I think it is the mindset of the residents and the "good ole boy" government.

The events center was to be built towards Exit 11 off I-24, which is actually as close to Nashville as it is to Ft. Campbell. It would have been a great venue for this area. I saw it as being similar to how the Rosemont arena complements Chicago out in their suburbs. It is a shame. I think it might have gone through a couple of years from now as that area is currently building retail and residential like crazy.

And, we actually had a Single-A team back 10 years or so ago called the Clarksville Coyotes. They played at Austin Peay's field. I don't think they lasted 3 years though.

Archived