Former Pawtucket Resident Looking Back In

:) Hello, all! I was born in Cranston, RI, in 1951, and grew up in Pawtucket, in the Fairlawn section, up in the corner near Providence, North Providence and Lincoln. Circumstances took me to Massachusetts in 1998 and then to Maine in 2002. I haven't spent any serious time in RI since spring of 2001. I tripped over this forum, and am now really delighted to be able to catch up on things that are changing in the old homestead. Some of it frankly baffles me. Are there really so many high-priced condos being built in Providence? Will the Warwick train station ever become a reality? When did this "Bucket" stuff begin? And what about the Pawtucket/Central Falls railroad station? I'm interested in all the threads that track changes, and seriously appreciate posted photos. Comments and recommendations would be most welcome. What do you think are the most interesting changes in the last five years?

Oh, and may I offer a tip learned on a different forum? Some of these threads get seriously extended when a reply quotes an entire previous post. By all means, quote a pertinent part of what you're replying to, but cut out what you don't need repeated. As much as I love relevant photos, I always think it's a waste when they're duplicated in a reply. ;)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where to start...

I'd have to say that The Grant is the most interesting development to date. It's a lively place right downtown, which is saying something. Keep your eye out for an opening or party of some sort. Worth the trip.

There's also cool stuff happening at the old Hope Webbing mill on Main St. in Woodlawn. I still haven't gotten inside the place because I'm lame. They call it Hope Artiste Village, which is kindofa gross name, IMO. They're just getting the first businesses going. Includes The Blackstone which closed in Cumberland, having featured local rock acts. Massive potential. I don't think anybody's living there yet.

The new YMCA is also a major enhancement to the lifestyle. It's a nice, modern health and family facility with an old pool.

As to The Bucket, I first heard the term from my ex-wife who wenna say rays ina 80s. Huh haya was big - no word of a lie. Here's a short essay on my blog.

Archived