MLS

cltheel.sdl

This thread is dedicated to soccer in the United States, specifically Major League Soccer. The lower leagues (USL, A-League, etc.) can also be discussed here, as well as Team USA Soccer.

MLS Season 2007 Teams:

Eastern Conference:

New England Revolution

Kansas City Wizards

New York Red Bulls

Columbus Crew

DC United

Chicago Fire

Toronto FC

Western Conference:

Houston Dynamo

FC Dallas

Chivas USA

Colorado Rapids

Los Angeles Galaxy

Real Salt Lake

(being the major pro league of soccer, if the mod could sticky this thread that would be great) :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I had noticed there wasn't a soccer topic stuck to the top. But I admit we've had a hard time getting much activity for soccer related topics. For a while I've followed the English Premier League. But this year I've been trying to follow the MLS more closely. Seems like I'm finally having better luck finding their games on tv. I've been pretty happy with the Superliga results so far. I know people will say the Mexican teams are just getting started and aren't in full form. But I'm still impressed to see the MLS teams doing very well against them.

How about Adu leaving the MLS for Benefica? Whatever happened with Adu? I guess I was still focusing more on EPL. I know he was with DC United for a while then I found out he had been shipped off to Real Salt Lake. I think most people figured he would head over to Europe at some point. How did he go from being the 'name ' of the league to being shipped off to a small market like Real Salt Lake, who are the worst team in the MLS this year.?

How about Adu leaving the MLS for Benefica? Whatever happened with Adu? I guess I was still focusing more on EPL. I know he was with DC United for a while then I found out he had been shipped off to Real Salt Lake. I think most people figured he would head over to Europe at some point. How did he go from being the 'name ' of the league to being shipped off to a small market like Real Salt Lake, who are the worst team in the MLS this year.?

other than Beckham, Adu was one the highest paid player MLS. It's a long story about Adu being shipped to RSL. Apparently, Adu still didn't see eye-to-eye with coach Peter Novak, so they shipped him off and got a few players in return while dumping his salary. he's basically leaving RSL now because RSL can't afford his salary. No matter, he needs to be in Europe anyway to hone his skills and learn the humility of sitting on the bench because there are other players like him who are older and just as good. He should mature pretty well in Benfica, who have a reputation for grooming forwards.

While I'm sitting here waiting the Toronto FC - LA Galaxy game, I thought about other possible expansion teams. Toronto was the new expansion team this year. Looks like MLS will be going back to San Jose. Although I'm not sure if that will be next year or in two years. But I was wondering what other cities would everyone like to see MLS in?

I'm beginning to see why this isn't at the top with the other major sports. So far there seems to be very little activity. Oh well guess I'll keep trying and see if we can eventually get a little more activity. San Jose will be getting another team starting next year. Sounds like Seattle is getting hopeful of their chances to have a team by 2009 or 2010.

I'm beginning to see why this isn't at the top with the other major sports. So far there seems to be very little activity. Oh well guess I'll keep trying and see if we can eventually get a little more activity. San Jose will be getting another team starting next year. Sounds like Seattle is getting hopeful of their chances to have a team by 2009 or 2010.

I know there has been talk about which cities would be in the running when the MLS expands, as it is planning on doing so in the near future. San Jose is coming back into the league next year, as the league's 14th team.

Two more teams are expected to be added by 2010, not counting San Jose. Here is the list by the MLS Commissioner of official candidate cities for future expansion:

Atlanta

Cleveland

Las Vegas

Miami

Milwaukee

New York (second team)

Philadelphia,

Phoenix

Portland

San Diego

Seattle

St. Louis

Vancouver

Yeah, from what I hear, they are pretty good. The guy who works as their athletic trainer is also the trainer for my old high school's teams, so I used to hear quite a bit about them when I used to go there (I was an equipment manager for the football & basketball teams).

What does everyone think of this new 'Beckham rule'? Allowing teams to go out and get one player that won't count against the salary cap? I certainly like the idea of getting more talent playing in the MLS. Angel and Toja already seem to be making big contributions. I think they want to eventually make it so that teams can go out and get a second player as well that won't count against the salary cap. I am glad they are putting some limitations on it. I think one of the problems of the NASL is that they started throwing out way too much money for a league that was still trying to grow. The league is growing but there are still a number of teams that haven't become profitable yet. But as teams start building their own soccer specific stadium and get out of bad deals with bigger stadiums, things seem to be getting better.

Well let's see if I can get a little activity going here since this topic has been pretty much dead. Beckham scored his first goal and also got his first assist as the LA Galaxy beat DC United 2-0 in the Superliga semifinal. They will now take on CF Pachuca in the title game.

^ That's pretty awesome - I wish I'd seen it.

I think the "Beckham rule" is a good decision as long it is limited to 1-2 players per team. I think the more famous people we get to play in MLS, the more interest will be generated. It sucks, b/c as soon as a home-grown MLS player gets good, he goes to Europe. It's frustrating, b/c you want your team's players to get good to improve the team, but you know once they do get good, they will go to Europe for more exposure and money. This has happened with Brian McBride, Freddy Adu, and countless others. Such a shame.

Who are you guys' favorite teams? Mine would have to be DC United b/c I've followed them the closest over the years. Although now that LA Galaxy have Beckham, I like them a good deal. Too bad Charlotte doesn't have an MLS team.

I think the best places for MLS expansion would be San Antonio and Phoenix, as they can pull from the large Hispanic populations. I think Miami should have one too, but Miami lost their MLS team a few years ago due to poor support. Atlanta would do well to get one, as would Seattle, Portland, and maybe Montreal (do French Canadians like soccer?). I don't think MLS should expand to more than 20 teams however before 2020. It would be best to keep the league small and strong rather than watered down.

^ That's pretty awesome - I wish I'd seen it.

I think the "Beckham rule" is a good decision as long it is limited to 1-2 players per team. I think the more famous people we get to play in MLS, the more interest will be generated. It sucks, b/c as soon as a home-grown MLS player gets good, he goes to Europe. It's frustrating, b/c you want your team's players to get good to improve the team, but you know once they do get good, they will go to Europe for more exposure and money. This has happened with Brian McBride, Freddy Adu, and countless others. Such a shame.

Who are you guys' favorite teams? Mine would have to be DC United b/c I've followed them the closest over the years. Although now that LA Galaxy have Beckham, I like them a good deal. Too bad Charlotte doesn't have an MLS team.

I think the best places for MLS expansion would be San Antonio and Phoenix, as they can pull from the large Hispanic populations. I think Miami should have one too, but Miami lost their MLS team a few years ago due to poor support. Atlanta would do well to get one, as would Seattle, Portland, and maybe Montreal (do French Canadians like soccer?). I don't think MLS should expand to more than 20 teams however before 2020. It would be best to keep the league small and strong rather than watered down.

It sucks our playing are going to other places, specifically adu, but adu never caught on in america like he should have. Even though Beckham is getting the hype, its more for his star status then the game of soccer. I don't think soccer will ever catch on in america.

It sucks our playing are going to other places, specifically adu, but adu never caught on in america like he should have. Even though Beckham is getting the hype, its more for his star status then the game of soccer. I don't think soccer will ever catch on in america.

Pretty interesting game last night between LA and NY. Over 66,000 people showed up, biggest game in MLS history. I thought ESPN was supposed to start covering more of these games but apparently not. Anyway NY ended up winning 5-4. Winning it at the very end of the game. Pretty good game except for the defense that is. Beckham played the whole game. Assisted the first two LA goals. He also got 'fired up' at one of the challenges from on of the NY players as well.

Well let's see if I can try to get this topic active. Anyone have any predictions on the top team in both conferences? The New England Revolution have been looking pretty good lately. DC United isn't too far behind them in the east. The Houston Dynamo had been really hot for a while but then had cooled off as of late. That's let FC Dallas close the gap to the top of the west.

• 3 weeks later...

Chivas is starting to look really good. They're up 1-0 to LA right now (not saying much since LA is 2nd to last in MLS) but still looking pretty good.

In other news, San Jose is getting back the Earthquakes next year, and the next expansion team will most likely be located in Philadelphia.

Chivas is starting to look really good. They're up 1-0 to LA right now (not saying much since LA is 2nd to last in MLS) but still looking pretty good.

In other news, San Jose is getting back the Earthquakes next year, and the next expansion team will most likely be located in Philadelphia.

Yeah I noticed Chivas making a move in the west. A couple of the eastern teams have been doing well. Earlier in the season all the best records were out west, now they seem to be in the east.

I'm still not sure about that second team. I keep hearing several cities listed as 'probably'. Looks like several cities are going to end up rather disappointed.

Yeah I noticed Chivas making a move in the west. A couple of the eastern teams have been doing well. Earlier in the season all the best records were out west, now they seem to be in the east.

I'm still not sure about that second team. I keep hearing several cities listed as 'probably'. Looks like several cities are going to end up rather disappointed.