MLS

cltheel.sdl

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think stars can work. I think Beckham is a bad example. Next season if he stays healthy could be different. LA pushed him to get back too quickly, perhaps the league. Everyone wanted him to play to help drive up ticket sales. But between coming back from injury, playing MLS games and playing for the English Natl team, it was just too much. That and I imagine some of the artificial turf that's at some of the stadiums doesn't help. Especially the ones at some of the non specific stadiums. But if you look at some of the players that was also signed using the 'Beckham' rule, they made very good contributions to their teams. You just didn't hear as much about them.

Yeah I guess that's the main goal. I keep hoping it will happen but I'm guessing if it does it won't be very soon. It seems to me many people have disdain for it because everyone else in the world is big about it. Just seems to me this pushes some people away from the sport. I guess some Americans have to feel 'separate' from the rest of the world and such. I imagine a big problem will be trying to keep American players here instead of playing in Europe. That and finding a way to keep kids playing the sport instead of switching when they get to junior high or high school.

Students going from Soccer to either Basketbal or Football or Baseball is the biggest hurt for the sport. Around the world these kids go to soccer, in the US if they have a chance they move to the other sports. I don't see it ever getting where it needs to get to be successful, which is sad because I think it could strive here if people gave it a chance.

• 1 month later...

It looks official now, the MLS will also add Seattle as an expansion team. San Jose is being given back a team next year. Looks like Seattle won't join till 2009.

In other news the New England Revolution are advancing the the MLS Cup Final from the East. In the West it will be the winner of the Houston - Kansas City game.

• 2 weeks later...

The Houston Dynamo Advanced from the West to play The New England Revolution.

The final was a very good match. The pace of the game was certainly on par with any major league from around the world, but of course below world cup level. New England got the early lead, but Houston scored against the flow of the game before half time.

In the end Houston scored a go ahead goal, and held on to win the title.

This is the third streight year that NE has made the finals and 3rd time they lost. (can ayone say Buffalo bills of the early 90s?)

Houston has now wone back to back since being moved from San Jose.

The game was played in DC, and attendance looked very nice.

On that note this years attendance was the leagues best since its inagural season. The inagural season numbers were thrown off by 90000+ at the first ever Galaxy game in LA and many other cities haveing huge curiosity numberrs in their first home games.

Regardless of Beckham I think the league made some major steps forward recently with TV contracts that actually put money in the leagues pocket rather than cost the league money to broadcast games.

As for expansion, the only locks are San Jose II and Seattle. The league always names a crap load of cities and nothing ever happens. so dont hold your breath on the other places. I would say its saferr to sit back and wait untill next season, then see how things develop.

and to the poster that is tempted to cheer for LA because of Beckham, please dont. Please stick with DC as they have been the pride of the leage from the start. they are classy and I am sure that they will still be a top flight squad in MLS 10-20-30 years from now. Besides you can actually drive to a game if you felt like it, and night games would end at a reasonable time if your watching on tv :)

I am like you and have always had a attraction to DC. I am from NY but never liked the team from Jersey, and like them less now with their new owners. I now live in Hartford, and may very well be a New England fan untill a TRUE New York City team joins the league.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, the right market is part of the equaion, but almost as important the ownership is key. Seattle and Toronto both have commited real financial resources to the team and people in the cities can see that. They know from the start that their new team will do what it takes to be great, and they want to get in on the ground floor. For the first time in league history there are signifigant marketing dollars being spent. No one wants to be part of something that is not popular. and everyone wants to be part of of the cool kids club. In toronto it is cool to be seen at the games. If that culture flows into Seattle and then San Jose, this league will become one of the worlds best, not just an also ran.

• 1 month later...
Yes, the right market is part of the equation, but almost as important the ownership is key. Seattle and Toronto both have commited real financial resources to the team and people in the cities can see that. They know from the start that their new team will do what it takes to be great, and they want to get in on the ground floor. For the first time in league history there are signifigant marketing dollars being spent. No one wants to be part of something that is not popular. and everyone wants to be part of of the cool kids club. In toronto it is cool to be seen at the games. If that culture flows into Seattle and then San Jose, this league will become one of the worlds best, not just an also ran.

• 3 weeks later...
The attendance was actually great for the team when they moved from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale, they folded for a bunch of reasons, but ownership was really hesitant to invest money into the ft. lauderdale area.

In the new Miami location the stadium would be soccer specific, and they would have a nearby garage which killed them when they were in miami. Also, the Orange Bowl area is a high latino area and the entire area is interested in a soccer team.

I think you might be looking back a little too favorably. The Fusion had generally lousy attendance, but in their last season it rose by a couple thousand per game as they won the supporters shield. I think it was something like 14000 that last season, but typically was around 12000. I was upset they folded the fusion, because they were such a fun team to watch, but the league was not as financially secure back then. The lead investor in Miami was not in it for the long haul like Phil Ancheutz.

The Miami franchise is still owned by that investor so if anyone is coming in he has to sell his liscence.

as far as expansion it is definately a little too rapid. I would hope they make the next few teams wait a little longer before joining league play.

as far as location.... I expect St. Louis to be the current front runner. Montreal is also in the running as is New York City. I would not mind all three getting a team, but I think that once the Harrison stadium opens for Red bull, a new team will be announced for queens long island and brooklyn.

Miami may get a shot again, but the league will not give it to a city unless there are truely wealthy investors that are committed to soccer at this point.