New to LR, need some info

dhgunit

I'm new to LR and will be going to UALR.

I am moving into The Grove at Pleasant Valley in West LR and I need to find a roommate. Any tips about where to look?

Also, what are the bad parts of town and where are the fun parts of town.

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, lots of good stuff there.

I already plan on going to the Arkansas vs. Mississippi St. game, the Clinton Library, and check out the bars downtown. It sounds like the nightlife is pretty good in LR.

Where is Pinnacle Mountain? Also, I used to hear that North Little Rock wasn't a very good place to be, i guess that is changing.

Thanks, lots of good stuff there.

I already plan on going to the Arkansas vs. Mississippi St. game, the Clinton Library, and check out the bars downtown. It sounds like the nightlife is pretty good in LR.

Where is Pinnacle Mountain? Also, I used to hear that North Little Rock wasn't a very good place to be, i guess that is changing.

Welcome to LR. Reiterating a bit...

As far as areas to avoid, we are fortunate in that the areas that you want to stay away from in general are areas you have no reason to visit anyway. West of I-430 and north of I-630 everything is as clean and safe as you could find elsewhere. The sketchy areas tend to be all be south of this - Southwest LR (Baseline, Chicot, Geyer Springs, 65th), the Central High area, the Barrow Road area, and some of the areas south of downtown and near the airport. The only real points of interest in these areas you would probably go to at some point are the State Fairgrounds/Barton Coliseum and Central High. Most of the areas around UALR are fine but there's little reason to go south of Asher or up and down Asher.

In addition to downtown LR and NLR where there are a lot of bars and restaurants, there's a fair bit to do in the Heights and Hillcrest and those areas are as safe as any part of town. West LR is scattered but there are a handful of places to go out there as well. There's a substantial amount of new shopping and restaurant construction going on right now, most of which should open within a year.

For the roommate situation, try the Apartment Hunters: http://www.apthunters-lr.com/, just off of Bowman and not far form CompUSA and Sam's. I'm not sure if they help with roommates, but they may know who could help...

As for some interesting places to go not already mentioned try some of these great local spots:

Bosco's: A nice downtown brewery and restaurant (might be on the high end of a College budget but it's great place to go)

If you like Pizza try one of these:

Damgoode Pies - multiple locatons (map)

Vino's brew Pub - also a brewery and a spot for local music (a lot of "metal" and "indie") - great calzones

Nightspots:

Cajun's Wharf - a great place to eat and mingle

Another cool night spot is the Afterthought on Kavanaugh - it's in Hillcrest and it's a cool little jazz club - it gets packed quick on the weekends

Another cool place to go is the Big Damn Bridge - nice walking or bike trail

A rather good free publication has come out lately called Sync - its website may have some other cool ideas, as a lot of the first issues have been about what there is to do in Little Rock, and they have a nice calendar of events including plays, concerts, comedy, and special events.

The grove is a nice apartment complex. It's not far from Pinnacle Mountain either - if you turn right onto Cantrell/Hwy 10 off of Plesant Ridge Rd (heading west) you will go about 5-6 miles and you will see signs pointing you in the right direction. You are close to 430 so you will be able to get around LR easily. Once you learn the main roads (Cantrell, Markham, University, etc...) it's not too hard to get around at all.

I am from Fort Smith.

I went to UA-Fort Smith for a couple of years, i have found my major and I need to go to UALR for it. Also leaving for work.

Wow...you guys are helpful. What a nice forum this is, I can't believe I've never spotted this place before.

I love The Grove, i've lived in two different apartment complexes in the past 2 years.....i have a feeling I will be at The Grove until I get my Doctorate. The staff is very helpful and when I moved some of my stuff into the apartment, they actually had the place looking nice. New carpet, paint, but no light fixtures. I asked them why, and they apologized and said they would see what they could do. I went back a week later and I had brand new beautiful ceiling fans with lights.

I am from Fort Smith.

I went to UA-Fort Smith for a couple of years, i have found my major and I need to go to UALR for it. Also leaving for work.

Wow...you guys are helpful. What a nice forum this is, I can't believe I've never spotted this place before.

I love The Grove, i've lived in two different apartment complexes in the past 2 years.....i have a feeling I will be at The Grove until I get my Doctorate. The staff is very helpful and when I moved some of my stuff into the apartment, they actually had the place looking nice. New carpet, paint, but no light fixtures. I asked them why, and they apologized and said they would see what they could do. I went back a week later and I had brand new beautiful ceiling fans with lights.

Archived