Where are Charlotte's best fountains?

swampfox43

Does everyone have a favorite fountain in the Charlotte area? Maybe a somewhat unique fountain like this one at Daniel Stowe. Or a spectacular one like the Rotunda.

I know we don't have a Friendship Fountain but always thought Charlotte should have a large signature fountain similar to that. Seems like many cities do have them.

Finally, does Charlotte offer any public, interactive fountains, the kind children run through, etc. I've seen the small one in Latta Park Dilworth. Are there others, larger?

I have some guests coming in August and one of them really likes to photo & sketch unique fountains. I thought we'd spend a Sunday fountain hunting.... :P She uses them in her art projects.

Do any of our resident photographers have a scrapbook of Charlotte fountains?

Thanks for any help.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, just happened to take this pic earlier today for "photo of the day". This is at the Square. If I would have known about this thread I would have taken one on the other side at Interstate Tower, it, and its plaza, are really great.

post-9752-1185913693_thumb.jpg

There is also a really cool fountain you can walk across at the base of one of the Wachovia's, The Jukebox, on College.

post-9752-1185913693_thumb.jpg

The only pics I have available online to post are these three of the Wachovia atrium fountain. (God forbid you took pictures of their fountain though.....)

2-24-07

74850403.jpg

74850405.jpg

74850406.jpg

Others that are nice, some already mentioned.

The Green, Bofa Plaza, Bofa Corp., Charlotte Plaza, Two Wach., Interstate, 4th Ward Park, and although small, I like the little fountains in 4th Ward at 9th/Poplar, and 8th/Pine.

Edit: Maybe if I'm bored one of these afternoons I'll get a pic of some of these since the ones I have on my comp. are old and suck quality wise.

Yes, there is a "run-throughable" fountain downtown. There's a smaller version of the Atlanta Olympic-style jumping fountain in the courtyard behind 525 N Tryon (formerly Odell). It has in-ground lighting that changes colors too. When I worked in that building years ago, parents used to bring their kids down there all the time. All of us in the office used to run to the windows to watch. So fun.

Yes, there is a "run-throughable" fountain downtown. There's a smaller version of the Atlanta Olympic-style jumping fountain in the courtyard behind 525 N Tryon (formerly Odell). It has in-ground lighting that changes colors too. When I worked in that building years ago, parents used to bring their kids down there all the time. All of us in the office used to run to the windows to watch. So fun.

There is also as run through at Gateway Village. I nominate the tiny sunken fountain in 4th ward, that serves kind of as a gateway to 4th ward park.

Oh and Mo, those photos seem alive, you are really starting to get good, keep up the good work.

stock_4.jpg

the circular white and black thing is what i'm speaking of.

cnc.jpg

Also if they are clean and working the ones at Marshall Park are quite nice.

I love the little gurgling, bubbling thing at 9th/Poplar that was mentioned earlier. It's not impressive size-wise, but it just looks so ancient, surrounded by that cobblestone ring. Like the Romans built it or something. A for effort on that one, I say.

There is also as run through at Gateway Village. I nominate the tiny sunken fountain in 4th ward, that serves kind of as a gateway to 4th ward park.

Oh and Mo, those photos seem alive, you are really starting to get good, keep up the good work.

stock_4.jpg

the circular white and black thing is what i'm speaking of.

Its a fountain I've seen it on twice in my life. Once for a third eye blind concert in like 03' I remember running through it with my girlfriend. Then one of my many drive arounds in downtown. I might be mistaken though.

Archived