NC Safety Inspection Sticker

flith

The NC inspection sticker is a pet peeve of mine since I moved here in 2002.

I see two solutions or maybe 3.....

1. Put a small sticker on one of the bottom corners of the plate itself.

2. No stickers anywhere instead block registration renewals via the database until proof of inspection is presented. (This would also remove the burden of enforcement from the police, and there are several ways to implement the check at the time of renewal)

3. Or just get rid of the whole thing because I see cars out of compliance all the time. (Window tint being the most common, followed by bad break lights)

Just my two cents.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess im just use to them because I forget they are there most of the time but yea I see what you mean

"2. No stickers anywhere instead block registration renewals via the database until proof of inspection is presented. (This would also remove the burden of enforcement from the police, and there are several ways to implement the check at the time of renewal)"

I agree, everything is in a computer network database. The state knows when its time for your next inspection. There is no need for the stickers now because if you go to long without getting your car inspected, you get fined and they dont even have to see your sticker.

what I hate about Virginia is that you have to have a license tag on the front of your car as well so you cant put any custom tags on the front.

• 1 year later...

SC got rid of safety inspections well over 10 years ago because they weren't worth the time/effort of the mechanics to look at everything because the cost was only $3 or something like that. It was incredibly low, so the mechanics would often con people into buying things that they didn't need. Since then you now see many more cars riding around with broken windows, busted tail/head lights, over-tinted windows, and bald tires. IMO the sfatey inspection aspect of it is more than enough reason to keep the sticker. I am not opposed to removing the sticker though.

There really isn't that much a need for the sticker now. NC now requires all modern cars to be plugged into their computer during the inspection and the car's VIN is read from the computer along with other data and sent in as part of the process. So they have a direct tie-in between inspection vs registration. There are a lot of positives to this but there are some downsides too. Last year when I took my car in for maintenance and inspection at the same time. I told them to also put a new battery in the car. The dumbass changed the battery before doing the inspection. Unfortunately this erases the contents of the computer and so when I go back they told me that I would have to drive the car at least 100 miles before they could inspect it. The computer would need to collect some more required data. 100 miles turned out to 1000 miles so it was a long and frustrating process.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Got my car inspected a several weeks back and no inspection sticker! woohoo

of course they left my MA inspection sticker, as always that expired back in Oct of '03....LOL not sure why the inspection folks have never removed it over the years, I have a friend who moved here from VA and they left his old VA sticker on too...I can't foresee it causing any annoyances....unless I happen to drive my car up to MA, which more then likely will never happen b/c I don't trust the car on a 700 mile each way roadtrip :-p

• 1 month later...

Archived